Build quality issues

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

Out and about today and heard a rattle from under the seat area, had a look when i got home and found the air vents for the rear passengers under both front seats appear to be loose and flapping about, just wondered if anyone else have loose ones or is it just mine ? will mention it on my 3 month inspection in a couple of weeks.
T5 First edition Crystal White

pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Just yours :lol:
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

pjm007 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:37 pmJust yours :lol:
Yep - but would add that they aren't the most robust under seat vents I've ever seen. Very flimsy things and pretty sure that any rear seat shuffling of feet well under the seats isn't going to help.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
q3billy

Post by q3billy »

Boomer wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:48 pm
pjm007 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:37 pmJust yours :lol:
Yep - but would add that they aren't the most robust under seat vents I've ever seen. Very flimsy things and pretty sure that any rear seat shuffling of feet well under the seats isn't going to help.
The air vents under the seats in my Focus used to come off all the time but it would just slot back on although they never, ever rattled and I would only notice when hoovering out the car.
R-Design Pro T3 | Bursting Blue | Xenium | Convenience | Intellisafe Pro | Smartphone Integration | Harman/Kardon | Powered Tailgate
Ordered: 04/04/18 | Delivered: 19/11/18 | Sold: 15/02/19

Replaced with: Mercedes-Benz E400 in red
dsun18

Post by dsun18 »

I've got an irritating rattle coming from the unit the rear view mirror is attached to. You only get it over certain road surfaces, but given one of them is the M25, it's pretty irritating and loud). Need to check it checked out. If I push a finger against the unit it stops immediately, but starts as soon as I take finger off.
Volvo XC40 First Edition T5, Grey Osmium, 20" wheels
utvptrca

Post by utvptrca »

I have. And I complained (it is a company car) about it. They said they will take a look when I take it in for another issue with rims.
So what I noticed is the dreaded, car journalist reported, gaps on the trim panels. Can't have that on this premium segment. Not seen a car in ages with this sort of rubbish QC.

Mine is LHD. The passenger trim panel (I have a Momentum so its all aluminium like - Volvo stated somewhere that if it looks like it, then it is) is not perfect on the sides - it is not neatly cut. It is a bit jagged. The drivers side closer to the door is ok (it goes under the plastics) but the far side, between the instrument cluster and the center console is just rubbish. It is cut in a wedge shape and the gap on top is way larger than on the bottom. This gets exacerbated by the extremely reflective plastic of the center console effectively doubling the visual effect. Looks like a 3 or 4 mil gash right there on the corner of my OCD-enabled eyes.

Gods! On the door cards where they had to get the metal (or whatever) to bend and conform to the door-handle fixture shape which is rounded, they got it right. Sure it helps that it goes INSIDE and UNDER other parts. Why did they not do this on all the pieces? Two shallow slots on either side of the console and on the passengers vent and no problems. Besides, having a linear grid patterned trim panel under a curved surface just wreaks havoc on my OCD. And the missus complains that here in sunny Portugal its reflective nature, on the large piece on the passenger side is a pain in the eyes (can always drive by myself :D ). The Momentum one is brushed aluminium/silver so its more reflective that the R-Design one. But that is just design and not poor craftsmanship.

Also, I did not get the nav. Car-maker supplied nav systems are mostly rubbish (having a map on the digital cluster is cool but if nav is rubbish...) and are expensive. Besides I use Waze as my primary nav system. So I saved on the nav and invested on the Smartphone Integration which, at launch was only available with wireless charging. I figured my next phone will certainly have that so why not.

Wireless charging works fine with a mate's phone. However both USB ports seem to be off. They won't even charge, let alone trigger Car Play or Android Auto. Disappointing. Had to fit one of those plug-in thingies to be able to charge my phone (mine does not support it).

The foot well carpeting seems not quite fixed to the car's body on either side. If I tap it with my foot it wobbles a bit.

The small storage space on the side of the transmission tunnel, which another member has reported was falling off, was also not quite secure in mine, but I pushed it in and it stayed there.

Not issues with gaps on the fuel flap. All well. Rest seems fine, although the rear could use some courtesy lighting even in Momentum.

Not seen issues with the leather seats, or other bits and pieces.

Second time filling up that the pumps that they won't auto-stop and fuel just spills from the fuel tank overflow valve/vent. Quite strange. It supposedly takes 54l but even after getting the on-board computer reading "--" and still running some km the must I got in there was 49l and change.

The car is very nice though (bit thirsty still).
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Twitter limit is now 280 characters. Should we all agree on a voluntary max for posts on this board? Only :lol:
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Oakview

Post by Oakview »

Not really - found this post had some very helpful observations/ views!
XC40 FE | MY19 (cancelled MY18.5 order) | T5 AWD | Crystal White | took on order March, arrived 5th September : :D : |
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Oakview wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:38 pm Not really - found this post had some very helpful observations/ views!
;)
VeeTee55

Post by VeeTee55 »

Has anyone noticed that the bonnet fit is a bit off? If I look at the line of the gap along each side of the bonnet, from the side, it looks fine. But the passenger side of the bonnet "overhangs" a bit at the front. It is really noticeable if the sun is overhead - there is a small shadow on the front of the fender cast by the bonnet overhang, but at the rear of the bonnet there is no side overhang, so no shadow. It's quite obvious if I run my finger along the gap. But the bonnet fit all along the driver's side is fine, so I can't see how adjusting the bonnet mounts will fix it. Are standards slipping as manufacture shifts to China?

To be fair though, I have no other complaints with the car (except for the lack of AM radio - mentioned elsewhere). It's a bit heavy on fuel, but I had read about this before I bought it so it's no surprise.

2021 Inscription AWD auto, white. Chinese build. Delivered early October 2020.