Real World MPG - XC40 T5 Recharge (Hybrid)

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Ks2

Post by Ks2 »

I am looking to purchase an Inscription Pro version and am looking for some idea on consumption. I will be doing approx 22 miles per day total commute however probably once a week I will be doing a long journey 100-300 miles.

Interested to hear of some actual efficiencies achieved.

squint

Post by squint »

I would suggest looking on Volvo’s own website reviews section - the low mpg is a recurrent theme.
Regretfully rejected R Design, Glacier Silver, T4 Auto FWD Convenience Pack, Front Park Assist,Power Glass Tilt & Slide,Smartphone Integration,Winter Pack, Mudflaps
morganj

Post by morganj »

Ks2 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:43 am I am looking to purchase an Inscription Pro version and am looking for some idea on consumption. I will be doing approx 22 miles per day total commute however probably once a week I will be doing a long journey 100-300 miles.

Interested to hear of some actual efficiencies achieved.
If you have somewhere to charge at work you should be able to manage your commute on electric alone.

That’s what I’m planning for mine when it finally decides to arrive.
NOW XC60 Plus, Dark T6 Recharge. Vapor Grey

PREVIOUS XC40 T5 Recharge MY21 | Versatility | Driver assist| Techic | Light | Semi-auto Park assist
kivapin

Post by kivapin »

I've been in lockdown so maybe it's not real world mpg but in the first 1000km I averaged 1.4l/100 km (aprox. 200 mpg for 680 miles).
This was using almost only the electric motor.
Had one or two longer trips that burned 1/4 of the petrol tank.
T5 TwE R-Design Black - BusinessPro, VersatilityPro, Xenium, Rear Camera, Spare - Ordered: 20 November 2019, Delivered: 17 March 2020
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

I found this review very helpful and thorough in explaining how the electric motor works and what can be expected in term of real mileage (go to min. 38:00).
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

Well, I've (deliberately) went on some trips bigger than the electric range (high-way + country roads) and also driven in the city without any battery charge left or in power mode (gasoline always on). TL;DR much better than expected! Here's some examples:

- 102 kms of highway + country/secondary (around 80km are highway only) => averaged 5,2l/100km (top speed of 160km/h on highway)
- 80 kms of highway + country/secondary at 140km/h => averaged 1,4l/100km
- 20kms city on power mode 7,7l/100km
- 11km city on hybrid mode => 3,3kWh consumption, 0,5 kWh regenerated and 0,1 liters consumption (averages to 1 l/100km ?)

The key point here is after battery is depleted, the car seems to still use it help the gas engine (saves around 20%). At 140km/h seems to do 1,1l/100km consistently..

Hope this helps.

(Edit: those top speeds are high-way only ;) )
T5 Twin-engine Momentum Plus
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

I also note that from time to time the petrol engine kicks in and starts recharging the battery for no apparent reason..

I know that the Outlander phev has a way to determine the petrol inside the tank is too old and asks the driver to fill at least 15 liters (I’ve been given that warning during driving)

Don’t know if this explains the petrol starting for no reason..

Either way the car logs every drive along with all kinds of data. Let me know if you’d want more :)
Ks2

Post by Ks2 »

Thank you all for your replies thus far.

@Ifpcorreia there are some exceptional numbers in there !! Do you have any longer journeys ? (although that may be a challenge in the current environment)
lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

Ks2 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:30 pm Thank you all for your replies thus far.

@Ifpcorreia there are some exceptional numbers in there !! Do you have any longer journeys ? (although that may be a challenge in the current environment)
Nope, this was as far as I’ve driven. I got the car delivered this month so all I have are a couple of 100+kms trips.

I almost got the T3 instead. But after a couple of test drives with 10+ l/100km I did the math and went for the phev instead. Although I didn’t had any real world numbers I kept my estimates pessimistic and still think the phev will be more economical in my case. Even city drives with an empty battery don’t get that high. So, so far so good..

One thing I forgot to mention was that I did use the sat nav - although I didn’t needed, it’s a well known trip for me - in order to allow the car to automatically choose between the two fuels according to what it thinks will be more efficient. Otherwise it will always go for electric until the battery runs dry. (This is a feature, look it up in the manuals).

When driving with both engines the car is pretty quick, unless you are unfortunate to have it with the wrong next gear (it’s a dual clutch..). If it fails to guess the next gear it takes a while, maybe an instante more than a turbo spooling up. But if the gear is correct the car does feel pretty damn good to drive ;) Also torque is there, but expect it to drink a lot of fuel :)

One last thing, about your estimated daily 22 miles: that’s pretty much the range of the battery! Sometimes I easily do over 40km (~25 miles) doing well over 50km/h and getting there as fast as possible without the combustion engine. Other times I only get around 35km (your 22miles). Maybe it’s the weather or maybe it’s the regen. Haven’t figured that out..

In the end could be much much worse.. as it is I’m pretty impressed with the powertrain and it’s refinement.
Travisthedog

Post by Travisthedog »

Over the last month of 4000 miles of mixed (electric and hybrid driving) the car has settled around 47mpg - can complain at that really
T5 Twin Engine R Design Pro
Thunder Grey