Stop start on xc40 FE T5 auto

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Hi Everyone from West Sussex. Only joined yesterday but I have a question if anyone can help. The stop start is good but I got stuck in a traffic jam for 8 miles crawling at a snails pace. I found the stop start a bit annoying and it felt like the car jumped if left in drive from a standstill. Volvo said you cannot isolate or turn it off you can only set it for each trip and when you stop it resets to stop start mode again. Is this correct or can you isolate it. Grateful for any advice.

Alistair72

Post by Alistair72 »

It is correct you cannot have stop start turned off by default in the UK and it always starts each trip as being on. In crawling traffic I usually turn it off on the screen and turn it back on for traffic lights etc. I agree it is not smooth on the T5.
There was mention on another thread that US cars could get it turned off completely but apparently this will not be available in the UK because of emission rules.
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

I too find the Stop Start irritating with the auto box. Essentially you are correct in that you have to disable it every time you start driving (somebody from Volvo Sweden I met recently told me it was like this for 'legislative reasons' -not sure I believe them!). The way that I have made it a bit easier to disable is by setting up an 'Individual Drive mode' with Start Stop disabled as one of the settings - at least this way I only need to hit the Drive Mode button a couple of times after starting - not too much of an issue given that the Drive Mode button is close to the start button.
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Thanks for the info. I will try that tomorrow and let you know if it has worked. Had the same on my previous evoques but you did have an isolation button on the centre console to disengage it completely. Hope you are enjoying your XC40’s.