Hello from a new member

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Goldbern

Post by Goldbern »

Just joined and have already found the forum a mine of useful information, so thank you everyone. Currently driving an Audi A3 and looking to switch to an XC40 Plus. I've been looking at the B3P FWD but notice a good many of you are driving the B4P either as AWD or FWD. Apart from the increased power and improved acceleration, should I seriously consider the B4P instead? Not intending to tow anything but will be used for longish journeys, especially Germany.

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Welcome to the forum. B3 and B4 have identical engine and gearbox, the difference in power and torque being achieved with engine software. I suggest to check 0-100 km/h acceleration figures and see how they’re comparing with your current Audi. FWD vs AWD is a broader topic, AWD could be must have, nice to have or no need depending on your driving needs. Make sure to test drive the car before ordering, the test car engine will give you a good idea of it’s capabilities and help in choosing the right setup for you.

Keep in mind when reading older reviews that the current B3/B4 is quipped with double clutch 7 speed gearbox that gives a faster acceleration than the TC8 found on older versions. That’s also important for the test drive, the DC7 that will come in your new car will have a different feel from the TC8 that might be the gearbox in the test car.
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Hi and welcome along

Enjoy yourself here, lots of useful help
Goldbern

Post by Goldbern »

eugen61 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:40 pm Welcome to the forum. B3 and B4 have identical engine and gearbox, the difference in power and torque being achieved with engine software. I suggest to check 0-100 km/h acceleration figures and see how they’re comparing with your current Audi. FWD vs AWD is a broader topic, AWD could be must have, nice to have or no need depending on your driving needs. Make sure to test drive the car before ordering, the test car engine will give you a good idea of it’s capabilities and help in choosing the right setup for you.

Keep in mind when reading older reviews that the current B3/B4 is quipped with double clutch 7 speed gearbox that gives a faster acceleration than the TC8 found on older versions. That’s also important for the test drive, the DC7 that will come in your new car will have a different feel from the TC8 that might be the gearbox in the test car.
Thanks, that's really helpful. We test drove a T3 Inscription about 12-18 months ago and liked the car but for some reason the dealership seemed uninterested in pursuing a sale. I don't know if there were supply issues at the time or whether they had already hit their quota for the quarter. Anyhoo, we went back last weekend to try out a B4 FWD, but not from the refreshed line-up. Still very much liked the car and thought the B4 probably a better fit for a vehicle of this size. On balance, given the similarities between the B3 and B4 and the fact that the XC40 Plus only comes with the AWD variant of the B4, I think the B3P FWD will meet our needs at a price point we're comfortable with.
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

@eugene61. I'm sure I read there are component differences between the two engines to deal with the extra power of the B4, and making the B3 engine cheaper to make.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Greggspies wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:15 pm @eugene61. I'm sure I read there are component differences between the two engines to deal with the extra power of the B4, and making the B3 engine cheaper to make.
I believe it’s the same 2.0 l 4 cylinder petrol engine, same turbo, same DC7 gearbox. If you look at the data sheet for both B3 and B4 only power and torque differs, even car weight, WLTP numbers and CO2 emissions are identical. It would make no sense to source different components for the same 2.0 l engine (B3, B4, B5, T6, T8) that is also placed in all the other Volvo models and negate economies of scale. Tweaking only engine software plays nicely the trick, VW Group used this strategy for decades offering 2 or 3 power versions for the same engine, ex. 2.0 TDI.

Volvo created a lot of confusion when it changed the engine naming and overlapped the identical powered T and B. Perhaps the source you’ve read confused the 1.5 l 3 cylinder 163 hp T3 with the 2.0 l 4 cylinder 163 hp B3. There indeed components are different, Volvo’s initial goal was to offer a cheaper option in the market with the 3 cylinder engine. Now it seems the 3 cylinder engine won’t be used in the future, orders for XC40 PHEV are suspended and it’ll be interesting to see if Volvo will completely drop this engine from its offerings.
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

the current B3/B4 is quipped with double clutch 7 speed gearbox
When was the 7 speed box introduced? The sales brochure for MY22 shows the B4 2WD with 7 speed and AWD with 8 speed. However, my MY22 2WD definitely has an 8 speed box.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
They replaced the 8 speed box for fwd to the 7 speed dct around the beginning of October 21, my car was built about a week before the change so my car has the 8 speed unit . I am happy with it, I was a bit miffed at the time as I understand the 7 speed is slightly quicker and has a better mpg, the situation was confusing around the time because Volvo customer service said the car was fitted with a 7 speed and the dealer insisted that it was an eight. The dealer was correct.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

The switch from TC8 to DC7 was a bit confusing and still is: in some European countries MY23 T2 Auto 129 hp will be delivered with the TC8 speed box.

Other threads on this topic:
viewtopic.php?t=3178
viewtopic.php?t=2915
GeorgeB

Post by GeorgeB »

Hi, a newbie myself, I have the T3 took delivery in March 2020, we regularly drive through Germany, don't tow anything and there is plenty of power on the Autobahn we regularly cruise at 130KPH, fuel economy is pretty good at around 40mpg average on out journey combining motorway and urban.
Inscription Pro T3 / soon to be B3 Ultimate FWD