Hi All I have a XC40 t5 plug in hybrid issue

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Chris66

Post by Chris66 »

Just recently acquired as nearly new plug in hybrid and I've noticed something strange when driving in Pure mode.
It happens normally when I'm on a lengthy stretch of road just accelerating gradually.
The car seems to hold back slightly just for a second or two (feels like I've dabbed the brakes slightly), then continues on without problem.
Can anyone tell me if there is a specific reason for this or should I take it to the dealership.
Thanks for your help in advance.

Rockford

Post by Rockford »

It's a feature of the gearbox in electric running, not a fault:

viewtopic.php?t=2905&p=26019
MY21 T5 Recharge R-Design Pro in Thunder Grey
Chris66

Post by Chris66 »

Thanks Rockford, hopefully nothing to worry about then. I still might register the issue with the dealership just in case it causes problems out of warranty.
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

As Rockford says it's perfectly normal and expected behaviour. The electric motor runs through the 7 speed gearbox on the even gears shaft. It uses two of the gears and has to back off the power for a moment to change up to the higher ratio. The harder you accelerate the more noticeable it is.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Helpful hint

Don't bother with pure mode. Instead, set your route in the satnav and let the cars hybrid system figure out the perfect places to use EV and when to use petrol.
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

step2534

Post by step2534 »

Yep, mine does it no matter what mode its in, bang on 59 MPH, then it changes up.