New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Hi everybody, picked up my pre-reg Inscription B4 FWD Auto on 2nd Nov. I've already used the Forum to help me with a query so I thought I'd better introduce myself :D :D
On 28th Oct we went to the dealer to have a look around thinking that we'd need to order a car early for March, given the m/chip shortage etc. I'd shortlisted a Hyundai Tucson, Toyota Rav4 and , tentatively the XC40 we both fancied the car but thought we couldn't afford one so would move on down our list.
Long story short - test drove a T3, we both loved it, salesman said he had a selection of XC40's just in from a closed dealership including an Inscription B4p with Winterpack pre registered the day before - 27th Oct. He offered me a thou less for my 30month old VW Troc than I gave for it and the equity (deposit) and monthlies fell nicely into place .. sorted :!: :!: ... Called him on 29th, never got to the other dealers, took delivery on 2nd November.
Delighted with the car so far, getting used to the Auto gears and the screens etc .. I'm a bit miffed that there's no Assisted Cruise Control on this as I had it on the VW and loved it but not the end of the world.
;) ;)
B4 FWD Inscription , MY22, Fusion Red, Blond interior. Climate Pack, F/R Mud Flaps

Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Hi Steve

Very similar story to ours. Went in with an idea of a T3 order for March tying in with our PCP going back. Came out having upspeccd to the B4 due in, in the colour and trim we wanted, and all being well we pick it up Wed.

Long waits? What long waits ? ;)

Enjoy yours. Did the dealer instal a SIM? Ours suggested there was little point as the car has a built in connection for the key functions anyway.

I'm a bit confused on that tbh.
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Dealer should be installing and setting up the sim
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Snow man

Post by Snow man »

We bought a B4 R Design that was about 6 months old with less than 1500 miles on it,ex Volvo car,I just bought 3 sim with legs from Amazon,put it in myself,works fine,think dealer did give me a pin but didn't need it.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Mikeg1 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:30 pm Hi Steve

Very similar story to ours. Went in with an idea of a T3 order for March tying in with our PCP going back. Came out having upspeccd to the B4 due in, in the colour and trim we wanted, and all being well we pick it up Wed.

Long waits? What long waits ? ;)

Enjoy yours. Did the dealer instal a SIM? Ours suggested there was little point as the car has a built in connection for the key functions anyway.

I'm a bit confused on that tbh.
Hi Mike

Our experiences are even more similar .... Didn't have a choice of colour but delighted with the Fusion Red
Re the key functions, I may be wrong but currently, seat and mirror positions seem to be set for the Black key .. if I open the car with the orange key, those settings / positions change (I'm not bothered about Heating / Radio / Volume etc though they'll probably fall into line.
I've failed to change the name on the orange key Profile which would be a nice touch as the missus would like that to be 'her' key .. Apparently only the Black keys can be 'programmed ..Dealer reckons they've had quite a number of customers mentioning it but Volvo charge £20 to reprogramme the key so it's the same as a Black one!!
Also, I've failed to get the Internet / wifi etc etc connections to work resulting in the p-sim card PIN locking-out!! .. The car is booked in to the dealer tomorrow AM so hopefully that will be sorted.
Hope you get what you're expecting .. I was pleasantly surprised on collection that I had F/R mud flaps, Rubber Mats and Boot Liner .. about £500 worth of extras!
B4 FWD Inscription , MY22, Fusion Red, Blond interior. Climate Pack, F/R Mud Flaps
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Ah, no power seats in ours - it was semi built so the deal was "as is". By "key" functions I meant "main" - at least, that's the impression the salesman gave me. He specifically said "why pay for data?". But my understanding is its free for 2 yrs. Hence my saying I was confused. I'll try and get to the bottom of it on Wed.

Hope you get yours sorted. I did take a deal on rubber mats and boot mat but the boss rejected mudflaps.

I know which battles to fight, and which to run away from :D
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Mikeg1 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:25 pm By "key" functions I meant "main" - at least, that's the impression the salesman gave me. He specifically said "why pay for data?". But my understanding is its free for 2 yrs. Hence my saying I was confused.
XC40 car has 2 internet connections. One factory embedded SIM (2 years free in your case), allowing remote car access through Volvo Cars app: temperature at car, parking climate, remote start, car position on map, lock-unlock status, trip journal, fuel range. The second internet connection requires a private SIM with a data plan. This connection is for Sensus entertainment system, allowing streaming on Spotify and TuneIn Radio, downloading map updates and creating a Wi-Fi hotspot in the car.

The main reason for installing a PSIM and paying for data is streaming music directly on your car’s entertainment system, also the Wi-Fi hotspot functionality that gives internet connection to passenger devices (kids with tablets). But Sensus App Library is limited to less than 10 apps and you can always connect your phone via Bluetooth or cable (Apple CarPlay or Android Auto) to stream music or Wi-Fi hotspot your phone to Sensus and use its existing data plan without buying a PSIM.
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

eugen61 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:52 am
Mikeg1 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:25 pm By "key" functions I meant "main" - at least, that's the impression the salesman gave me. He specifically said "why pay for data?". But my understanding is its free for 2 yrs. Hence my saying I was confused.
XC40 car has 2 internet connections. One factory embedded SIM (2 years free in your case), allowing remote car access through Volvo Cars app: temperature at car, parking climate, remote start, car position on map, lock-unlock status, trip journal, fuel range. The second internet connection requires a private SIM with a data plan. This connection is for Sensus entertainment system, allowing streaming on Spotify and TuneIn Radio, downloading map updates and creating a Wi-Fi hotspot in the car.

The main reason for installing a PSIM and paying for data is streaming music directly on your car’s entertainment system, also the Wi-Fi hotspot functionality that gives internet connection to passenger devices (kids with tablets). But Sensus App Library is limited to less than 10 apps and you can always connect your phone via Bluetooth or cable (Apple CarPlay or Android Auto) to stream music or Wi-Fi hotspot your phone to Sensus and use its existing data plan without buying a PSIM.
Eugen, can you please take over responsibility for writing Volvo manuals?

I've read their pdf download and nowhere does it set out the position as simply and clearly as you have.

Thank you :D
Mike. West Yorks.

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Well, I'm all sorted now ... to be fair, it took around 20 mins in the car with the Techy .. new P-sim card fitted and then he helped me through the Vodaphone registration process. This was agonisingly slow and awkward via my mobile (he did say it could have been done on line at home a lot quicker due to connection speeds) but we stuck at it.
Can't wait to sit in the back surfing the web as the missus drives me around!! ...NOT :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

👍🏻
Mike. West Yorks.