Panoramic Roof for R Design Pro

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Greggspies wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:18 pm To avoid anyone being mislead, it's not possible for anyone sitting in the front seat to see out of the sunroof, unless of course, you lie the seat back. Other reasons for wanting a sun roof are valid of course. But not seeing the sky while you're driving.
Yep I read that and it was a face palm moment as well 🤦🏻‍♂️
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

If I look up I can see the sky. Perhaps my seat is further back than yours, but the sunroof meets my expectations in this respect. In my opinion worth having.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

As I previously said, I like the extra light and the fact that it adds natural ventilation and sunlight. Looking up at the sky whilst doing 70mph wouldn't be regarded as particularly safe behaviour.
Personally, I've had panoramic rooves on 3 cars now and love them.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Surely if you have Pilot Assist you can 😉
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

I think it really comes up to 4 things:
- interiour colour - black or blonde? If black, the extra light is welcomed, without being as distracting in strong sunlight as the blonde is
- how much you enjoy driving through the countryside with the roof open. certainly not worth for city traffic, though i do open it in London during hot summer days to let the heat escape and cool the car faster
- who's going to ride "2nd class"? if occasional trips with friends, you surely don't have to cater for their needs. if you've got a young kid, i think it adds a lot to see around.
- how sensitive are you to exterior noise? rainy and stormy days, even with the sunshade closed, are *really* loud if you got a moonroof, so a thing to consider

I have a black interior RD Pro with moonroof and i love it; funny enough, after 2+ years of ownership, yesterday was the only time i sat in the back for a few minutes to admire the view, after jumping in to set the baby mirror.
I have to say now i know i offer top service when ferrying people around lol. But i wouldn't have specced it just for the occasional friends getting a ride.

Answer those, and you'll know
Bob

Post by Bob »

Had my R Design for 3 years, the only reason I have a panoramic roof is because it came as standard on the First Editions. In the time I've had the car it was opened once in the first couple of days I had it, since then it has remained firmly closed, as has the blind.
The air is too polluted in most towns nowadays to even consider opening it, same goes for the windows, they stay shut unless I have to open them to talk to someone or raise a barrier/use a ticket machine (mainly because I leave A/C on automatic, set at 19 degrees, all year round.
It's down to personal choice, but I would never pay extra to have a panoramic roof.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
Snow man

Post by Snow man »

When stopped if I look up I can see though my sunroof fine.
Snicko

Post by Snicko »

Thank you so much for your comments.

I have decided against adding the panoramic of to my build.

As a newbie to this forum, may I say how helpful I have found your responses.
Alex_O

Post by Alex_O »

I'm pretty sure the driver shouldn't be able to see any panoramic or glass roof from their seat. That's... not the driving window.

That aside, I drive with the blind constantly open. For me it changes the feel of the car.

My only problem with the panoramic roof is the bubbling noise from the drains on/after rain.
Snow man

Post by Snow man »

Have you had the mod to lengthen the drain tubes done ? Had mine done at first service and has pretty much stopped it.