Late starter

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
little jack

Post by little jack »

Hello all
New to the forum but have been that dreaded lurker for many many months.
I’ve currently the owner of a T5 First Edition and have thoroughly enjoyed the three years of ownership.
It’s been ultra reliable, ultra comfortable and ultra thirsty……..

A53B4E84-86B2-4725-AFE1-AB784CF8A5DE.jpeg

34CDCD53-6AF6-4316-AAFA-4C60FEBD6A55.jpeg

Don’t let others stop you from doing what you love!

Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
Welcome to the forum, are the pictures recent? If so the car looks in great nick for 3 years old .
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
little jack

Post by little jack »

A8C22ED1-580B-4852-8F5B-F287D15B52F9.jpeg

this one I think is one year ago
Sadly no they aren’t, although the ceramic coating has kept the paint work fresh still looks great even after three years .
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
Car still looks good, don’t know if you have an extended warranty, but with the current prices for part ex are you tempted to change ?
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
little jack

Post by little jack »

So tempted to change it (£37k from Arnold Clark) even though I’ve just took out extended warranty but I’m unable to decide on another car. I need and want one with heated windscreen which limits choices. Any suggestions 🤗 welcome
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

If it is still in the same outstanding condition, and has low mileage why give it away, £37k that's nothing - just try finding another one even close to having all what the first edition has for less than £50K new - we seem to be fixated on changing our cars when they are often still are like new - we think 36-months is old for a car - maybe we are brainwashed to think so? Mileage and condition should be the indicator of age not time - a 3yr old car can have 120k miles covered a wrecked or less than 10k miles and mint, yet we tend to see them for the same age - very odd very blinkered. 3yrs - no age for a car these days, at least one that is so well looked after. Keep it, extend the warranty - continue to enjoy your fabulous car.
Johnkavanagh

Post by Johnkavanagh »

Oldie wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:16 am £37k that's nothing - just try finding another one even close to having all what the first edition has for less than £50K new
Perhaps I can offer a little perspective here: 2021 XC40 Inscription Pro with - I think - everything the original First Editions had. I paid only a touch more than the £37k being offered here.

For a three year old car like OP’s, and without knowing anything else about the car, I suspect £37k is very reasonable. Remember that COVID has caused used car prices to absolutely shoot up, so good-quality trade-ins are very valuable to dealerships.

It would be interesting to see somebody’s PCP figures for these first editions three years ago. How much did Volvo actually think they would be worth now? Without the foresight of covid and new car shortages. I’d hazard a guess at closer to £25k.
Deleted User 3629

I doubt that even a standard Inscription pro has all what the first edition had, in fact (and I stand to be corrected) I know it does not, especially the very first 18-plates - my point was - we seem to view 3yr old cars as old - and in my opinion it's nothing short of industry brainwashing - mileage and condition should be the cars age not time. A new car is not always better - I know many that have departed with a fabulous none-fault 3-year old only to buy a troublesome new one, and regretted ever doing so!!!

In today's throw away society - every car manufacturer should copy Toyota, every time you have your Toyota serviced with them they issue you with another years warranty up to the age of 10-years - now that Japanese for you.

Regarding PCP figures - I know of an 18-plate First Edition - one of the first out the block, with 29k miles on the clock due to come to an end on the PCP in March - End of agreement value £16k - value today £29k.
Johnkavanagh

Post by Johnkavanagh »

Oldie wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:07 am I doubt that even a standard Inscription pro has all what the first edition had,
I agree. Ours isn’t standard. I’d even say possibly a little higher-spec’d given the 18-plates didn’t come with leather. The point being though: it’s possible to buy a new XC40 at a very similar spec level to the first editions, for little more than OP is being offered in trade-in for his three year old one.

What I will say is that the newest versions from Volvo have been cut-back due to the chip shortage: you can’t get BLIS or the pilot assist parking systems at the moment for example. (We have them on ours though). Perhaps that’s what you were referring to?
Oldie wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:07 am In today's throw away society - every car manufacturer should copy Toyota, every time you have your Toyota serviced with them they issue you with another years warranty up to the age of 10-years - now that Japanese for you.
Agree with the throw-away society bit, although I’m not sure Volvo is to blame there. I am - however - confused about the a Toyota comment. Have you owned one? We have had a Toyota and Lexus from new, that wasn’t something we were ever offered. I am aware from reading elsewhere on here recently that Volvo used to offer a similar-sounding warranty though!

Anyway. Main point is: if OP was looking to change cars, the offer he’s received is very reasonable. Used car prices are extremely high at the moment and will remain so for some time to come.
Deleted User 3629

Didn't wish to imply Volvo is to blame for a throw away society - course they are not - it's just the society we live in today - unfortunately.

Regarding Toyota - it my understanding all Toyota and Lexus cars, regardless of age or how many owners - when you have it serviced at a Toyota main dealer you are issued with another years warranty up to the age of 10-years.