Ordered - Excited!

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

Just ordered my XC40 R design in Pebble Grey. Been told 17th September which sounds a bit of a quick lead time compared to what I've read on here.

Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Sounds about right, PlymDave. Well done, love that colour - MrsG did not, so we ordered Denim Blue...
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Wedgie

Post by Wedgie »

Seems it depends if your dealer has any build slots left.
Bocca70

Post by Bocca70 »

I ordered mine on 28th June with an estimated delivery of early September. It is now end of October. Dealer says they will contact the factory and try to improve that. Don’t know how they can make a difference but I am sure it’ll be worth the wait.
R-Design T3 manual MY22 Onyx black
Climate and park assist packs
Spare wheel and Smartphone integration
Volvo sunglasses holder x2
Spare wheel cover
Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 hardwired

Delivered 12th March 2022
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

Oh well, Volvo manage to burst another bubble! My 7th September delivery has now slipped a month to 1st - 15th October. This seems to happen to most people, why can't they give realistic dates in the first place? It doesn't make the company look very professional.
Moss

Post by Moss »

PlymDave wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:05 pm Oh well, Volvo manage to burst another bubble! My 7th September delivery has now slipped a month to 1st - 15th October. This seems to happen to most people, why can't they give realistic dates in the first place? It doesn't make the company look very professional.
At the moment, the chip shortage makes it impossible for some suppliers to guarantee JIT delivery times, so that it is impossible for Volvo Cars and other car manufacturers to give their importers, distributors and dealers « realistic » production and delivery dates. Volvo Cars could of course play safe and do as Mercedes does over here in Belgium and France : give the dealers delivery dates of six to eight months after the order date. However, I’m not convinced that this would make the Volvo Cars company look more professional.

It’s also good to remember that Volvo Cars is not a major car manufacturer such as (say) Renault or Volkswagen and others, who are able to put even more pressure on their suppliers than Volvo Cars could ever do.

Moreover, the logistics problems resulting from the present shortage of lorry drivers in the UK (and to a lesser degree in the rest of Europe) do not make things easier.

I’m sure we all understand that it’s hardly enjoyable to not been given precise and/or « realistic » delivery times, but the present reality is what it is.
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

And added to that is consideration for Volvo assembly workers who are being laid off, and the company's profits taking a big hit. They will most certainly be doing their best.
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

Yes, Moss and Gregg I know you're right. I work in engineering and lead times for everything are the worst I've ever seen in the past 40 years. Doesn't make it any less frustrating though does it.
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

It'll be worth it....
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

Now have a handover date of Monday 18th October, so marginally over 3 months. Not bad for the current climate.