Volvo XC40 charging

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
neonman

Post by neonman »

Hi all, new to the forum so hi to all.

I just got my Volvo XC40 T5 Recharge (on Friday) and I love it but for one thing. When I plug it in for charging the fans come on and run very loud !

My wife has a Mini Countryman Hybrid and it is as quiet as a mouse when charging. So I was a bit shocked when my XC40 sounded like it was ready for take off. Last night before going to bed I plugged it in and all was good the fans didn't kick in, however about 1 hour later the fans were on full blast again, since it was nighttime and we live in a very quiet estate I had to get up and unplug it so unfortunately I wasn't able to charge it overnight.

I had it out today and when I got back I plugged it in and again fans on full blast. I wouldn't be surprised if someone calls at my door to say I have left the car running outside.

Is this normal? Does your XC40 fans run when you are charging it. Overall I love the car however this is a BIG disappointment.

lfpcorreia

Post by lfpcorreia »

Mine goes into hovercraft mode too when charging. Volvo does this to supposedly keeps the batt cool when charging as a way to prolong its life. (Charging heats them too, not just discharging)
T5 Twin-engine Momentum Plus
masteretch

Post by masteretch »

same here I've stopped charging mine overnight its way too loud if you live somewhere quiet
neonman

Post by neonman »

Thanks for the replies.

Seems to be a bit of a design flaw to me as other Hybrids do not need to have the fans running to cool the battery while charging.

I guess there is nothing I can do other than just live with it. It will annoy me for the next while but I'll get over it.
neonman

Post by neonman »

Another question I have is how long do the fans run for while charging do you know? I believe the come on and off so not running all the time, if they only come on for 5 minutes at a time that is fine but if its 10-30 minutes that is a bit well crap !
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

One of the April 2021 software up dates says:

For XC40 Twin Engine/Recharge Plug-in Hybrid: Improved fan sound

Could this be addressing this problem?
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

This is all about keeping the batteries cool under charge. Sure other cars don't do this but in the long term, the XC40s batteries should not deteriorate as quickly either so in 5 years time when your wife's PHEV only holds a 5 miles range, your XC40 should still be managing 20 plus.

The fans go on and off as needed but also remember it only takes 2.5 hours to charge the battery from a wall charger so it's not as if they are going to charge all night. If you put your car on charge at 7pm when you get home from work, it will be done by 9:30pm so you won't have fans running all night.
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

Websta24

Post by Websta24 »

Set the car to charge at 2am. everyone will be asleep
CheshireDoc

Post by CheshireDoc »

Anyone had any Red, "Error Reconnecting" issued from home AC chargers? Mine refuses to charge past 4 days. OK at DC Rapid chargers though. From the US forums, it appears to be a common fault?