Brake pads

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Jamoeesh

Post by Jamoeesh »

I’ve had my t4 momentum XC40 for two years and 30k kms.
The brake pads have gone. I had a screeching and groaning when braking. One week after servicing vehicle in melbourne.
New brake pads put on. Is it because I use cruise co from and brake assist all the time? How long will they last if I don’t use these features anyone know?
Tempted to sell but I like the car. The dealership service guy advised me to buy Japanese. Can you believe that? 😂

Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

My SEAT Exeo of a few years ago would need front pads at the same tiem as front tyres (20k miles). I think that's modern non-asbestos pads for you. XCis a heavy old beast as well
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

There may be more to it.

The brakes are often used as part of the traction control system. So if you are driving more aggressively and a wheel is about to loose grip, the car may use the brake to slow that wheel just enough but again, this causes additional break wear

This does seem to be a common complaint across many modern cars and as Cornishman points out, the XC40 is a heavy old beast :)
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
pwliv

Post by pwliv »

I had a previous car with an electric handbrake and was warned that letting the handbrake automatically release when starting off rather than manually releasing it caused excessive wear on the back brake pads. I followed the advice so have no idea whether it is true!
Paul
Denim Blue T3 Momentum auto (2021), Pilot assist, Climate, Parking assist
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

pwliv wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:39 pm I had a previous car with an electric handbrake and was warned that letting the handbrake automatically release when starting off rather than manually releasing it caused excessive wear on the back brake pads. I followed the advice so have no idea whether it is true!
Utter rubbish. Think about it. The electric handbrake is fully released in less than a quarter of a turn of a wheel. How many millions of full revolutions of the wheels occur under normal braking?
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

m@rk wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:18 am There may be more to it.

The brakes are often used as part of the traction control system. So if you are driving more aggressively and a wheel is about to loose grip, the car may use the brake to slow that wheel just enough but again, this causes additional break wear

This does seem to be a common complaint across many modern cars and as Cornishman points out, the XC40 is a heavy old beast :)
As far as I am aware none of the elements of the Electronic Stability Control system including traction control activate without the warning symbol flashing on the dash, so this couldn't cause excessive brake wear without you knowing.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Dermottdog wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:19 pm
pwliv wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:39 pm I had a previous car with an electric handbrake and was warned that letting the handbrake automatically release when starting off rather than manually releasing it caused excessive wear on the back brake pads. I followed the advice so have no idea whether it is true!
Utter rubbish. Think about it. The electric handbrake is fully released in less than a quarter of a turn of a wheel. How many millions of full revolutions of the wheels occur under normal braking?
That’s a very good and logical argument. I also believe the issue is related to pad composition: my silver rims are always covered with black pad dust after a 100 miles journey with no cruise control and auto-handbrake usage. I find more problematic the lack of pads wear sensors that can lead to break disk damage not covered by warranty.
Rigel

Post by Rigel »

I have just replaced my rear pads at 20k miles. When I challenged the dealer , who I have used for 20 years. He advised it was not uncommon if I relied on auto-brake, particularly as a manual box. It also is dependent on the type of usage, mine is generally short rural and town commuting. I have now disengaged this function. and will use AB only when necessary, as it is an expensive option.
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Just got ours back from a dealer service today. 2 years old, 15000 miles and told rear pads are on the wear limit....
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

People still seem to think that new cars will have the wear rate of a Ford Cortina but the brakes of a modern car. It’s just not going to happen. 20k miles is about right for a modern car.
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras