Brake pads

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
stu22

Post by stu22 »

I'd expect the rears to outlast the fronts to be fair?

Tyre wear was even across front the rear axles too, perhaps weight distribution is a bit more rear biased that similar vehicles?

Stanno

Post by Stanno »

Chris John wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:35 pm 20k miles is about right for a modern car.
When I changed my Audi A3 for the XC40, it had done 50k miles over 4 years and still had plenty of wear left on the original pads.

Stanno
Momentum B4 FWD, Denim Blue, Climate Pack, Versatility Pack, Origin Inlays
Ordered : October 2020
Collected : 01 March 2021
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Chris John wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:35 pm People still seem to think that new cars will have the wear rate of a Ford Cortina but the brakes of a modern car. It’s just not going to happen. 20k miles is about right for a modern car.
And of course an XC40 is a lot heavier than a Cortina too so it stands to reason wear will be higher
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

I think brake wear is so very hard to predict. If you are a person who puts their foot down at every opportunity and then brakes hard then of course the pads will wear out quicker than a person who anticipates the road, drives sensibly and has a light braking foot. Also, someone that drives thousands of miles on a motorway will, in my opinion, have brakes that last 20, 30 and even 40 thousand miles (if the person anticipates the conditions and doesn’t leave it to the last possible moment to apply the brakes). I think Volvo is wrong not to include some sort of wear sensor. It’s not hard or complicated. Before retiring, my Renault van went through 2 sets of discs because of the lack of wear sensors. It’s almost like the manufacturers see it as a sort of money spinner. With the Renault, an oil change was 18,000 miles away. The lease company wouldn’t sanction a service until it was due (service indicator on the dash). The only indication that the pads required replacement was when there was a grinding noise from the car. At that point, it was a little too late to save the discs.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.