Loving my 1 year young XC40 :)

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Agreed, but it does mean I can always be driving a brand new car. If I get a Friday Afternoon job then it's 3 months to exchange for another brand new vehicle. I don't care if the "Latest Technology" turns out to be redundant in a year's time. I don't have to buy tyres or any other consumables other than Fuel or pay for any Servicing or Road Tax. Indeed, I can swap the car out so I never have to have it serviced.

Depends what you want I guess. What I don't want is to buy a new car at the moment with the hope to keep it for ten years, given the shortcuts manufacturers are making due to Covid Closures, Chip Shortage and never ending legislation against ICE vehicles. Electric vehicles are evolving and we are testing them at our expense. 10 years... 10 months maybe!
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.

Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
It’s inevitable that battery technology will move forward very quickly, see below

Our Next Energy (ONE), a Michigan-based startup, tested its prototype of a new battery in a Tesla Model S and drove 752 miles before having to recharge, Reuters has reported. ONE plans to start producing battery packs that will deliver a similar range in 2023. Mujeeb Ijaz, ONE’s founder and CEO, shared their plans to build these batteries that provide double the range of most existing EVs.

The question I am pondering is what will happen to all of the people that have been early adopters of the new electric vehicles, will they be looked after by the companies (change the battery)? Yes their cars will still function ,it will still save money to run provided the infrastructure is in place, but what about the residual values for earlier electric cars ?
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
Bocca70

Post by Bocca70 »

I would say they will be better than the residual value of petrol cars. However, you pay a lot more for them. And, of course, when the majority of people have electric vehicles, the government will have to raise taxes on electricity bills at home since they will lose out on fossil fuel taxes. They get us either way.
R-Design T3 manual MY22 Onyx black
Climate and park assist packs
Spare wheel and Smartphone integration
Volvo sunglasses holder x2
Spare wheel cover
Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 hardwired

Delivered 12th March 2022
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Den48 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:01 pm
The question I am pondering is what will happen to all of the people that have been early adopters of the new electric vehicles, will they be looked after by the companies (change the battery)? Yes their cars will still function ,it will still save money to run provided the infrastructure is in place, but what about the residual values for earlier electric cars ?
Renault Zoe offers battery swaps, in some markets the battery is leased, not sold as part of the car. This enables for future battery technology to be easily added into the “old” Zoe chassis. For other car brands like Volvo with factory embedded battery into the chassis, it would prove very expensive to replace the battery. With rapid improvement in battery technology leasing or renting EV for a limited period of time (2-3 years) could become financially more attractive compared to upfront buying and swallowing the technology depreciation 5 years later…
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Question for those who believe they just pay for the fuel on these deals and don't pay for say the tyres services, road tax, consumables etc - who do you think pays for all that :o ??
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

As it stands I'm expected to pay a significant premium to buy an experimental electric vehicle and suffer the inconvenience of trying to charge it somewhere. I'd never recoup the initial additional outlay in fuel savings, so why would I want one?
Lincolnshire England.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

@Oldie, Volvo Subscription is fully inclusive. Only add fuel.
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 3629

@JFDIT - sorry to burst your bubble, but, all those consumable costs are added into the price you pay for Subscription - and with tyres you pay whether you have any or not, if you don't have any replacements, that bit you pay pays for someone who does.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

@Oldie, Don't understand your comment. Yes, of course the consumable costs are calculated in conjunction with the base vehicle price to achieve the monthly subscription fee. My point is that the monthly fee is reasonable given what is included and the flexibility it affords in these uncertain motoring times.
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 3629

@JFDIT - Your comments did not make that clear - you stated - "I don't have to buy tyres or any other consumables other than Fuel or pay for any Servicing or Road Tax. Indeed, I can swap the car out so I never have to have it serviced". Which seemed to suggest you don't pay for these things - not directly on demand that's true - but it is built into the subscription price - so indirectly you do still pay - and even if you don't have any tyres, or swap the car before it need servicing, the price you pay for subscription, even if you think its reasonable, includes these costs - so in my view, to get better value for your money you should have a service, or a tyre - after all you have paid for them!!!