Loving my 1 year young XC40 :)

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
hotfrog

Post by hotfrog »

Oldie wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:43 am Read a thought provoking statistic last night - statistically on average a car spends only 5% of it life actually moving - and that means it spends 95% of its time stationary - therefor, because we buy/ rent/ hire cars for the sole purpose of when we want to move - this means only 5% of our associated costs are productive and 95% is waste :o
I would change the word "waste" to "convenience". I think that your logic applies to almost every consumer product but the existence of most is well justified even if used for only a few minutes per day.
XC40 R-design B4 FWD 7 speed. Ordered 14/10/21 Delivered 13/1/22
Pilot Assist, 360 deg cam, Panoramic roof etc.

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Yep very true, and you are right it is about convenience, and again when you think about it you are right to say it applies to most things - except mobile phones maybe - folk seem to be on those 95% of the time, but what a thought - most money spent is for convenience sake - think of the waste that generates :?
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Oldie wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:43 am Read a thought provoking statistic last night - statistically on average a car spends only 5% of it life actually moving - and that means it spends 95% of its time stationary - therefor, because we buy/ rent/ hire cars for the sole purpose of when we want to move - this means only 5% of our associated costs are productive and 95% is waste :o
You could apply that argument to many things

During the week, my house is empty during the day for approximately 12 hours (so 50% of the day). I don't need it but I don't consider it waste

Likewise I only use my oven a few times a week. Likewise my phone is unused overnight whilst I sleep. I think whilst thought provoking, the argument is flawed
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

Deleted User 3629

@m@rk - yep you said it, just a thought provoking statistic - that's all - any "flawed argument" implies two or more sides disagree, and as stated I agree - you can apply this statistic to many if not most things ;)
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I've financed my last few cars on PCP and the last two I paid off the balloon payment. With the TT it was because the car was always going to be a keeper for my retirement and the diesel Yeti because I had just retired and wanted to buy myself some time to think about what petrol car I wanted to buy which ended up being the XC40.

I'm also going to do the same with the XC40 as I'm hoping it's going to be worth more than the £18k. balloon payment in 2 years time, it will be very low mileage and we want to keep it for longer as we love it and there is nothing else we want at the moment including another XC40! It will be interesting to see what the dealer offers in part-ex when the PCP is up as the "promised" extra over and above the guaranteed final value that can go towards a new deposit on previous PCP deals never materialised.

Will keep the Volvo for say a couple of extra years and then probably lease (is Volvo subscription basically leasing?) to see how things are panning out with electric cars.

The intention is to at least spend the next few years enjoying our petrol engined cars and my motorbikes!
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Deleted User 3629

Its my understanding that subscription is inclusive leasing - and from what you read in my opinion seems expensive. With your PCP and the £18k balloon payment - it will all depend on how second hand values go - I know of a few where the PCP contracts are about to come to an end and the one has a balloon payment of £15k and the car has been valued at £22k - but they do seem to value PCP balloon payments at the low end of any future value and with your low mileage guess you would have a surplus even if the second hand values did return to normality. With electric, the technology seems to be advancing at a fast pace, and the fear is today's tech could become outdated very quickly - just look at mobile phone technology and how folk always want the latest tech and with ease ditch the old - now, you would think there is no way folk could view electric cars in the same way - and would normally agree - but who knows.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Thanks Oldie. Yes, the subscription does seem expensive and I've shied away from inclusive leasing in the past because I'm easy on my cars and the rates have to cater for those that are less so e.g. tyres. And if you do very low miles you might lose out on the servicing. This happened on my wife's Mini where we had 5 years servicing. They refused to do an annual oil and filter change because of the mileage (I usually have that done on my cars irrespective of mileage). Ok if you are leasing or changing at 3 years but we intended buying it which we did and one of our sons has it now.

As you say technology is advancing and hence why in a few years time will probably lease (it may be the only choice!) so that we can see which way things are going. Still wouldn't be surprised if a future government has to delay the banning of new ICE cars as there are still major infrastructure issues to be resolved particularly for those who can't have home chargers and I still want to know how the loss of fuel duty is going to be recouped!

Existing electric car owners, enjoy the cheap running costs whilst you can!
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Deleted User 3629

Think you are right - 10yrs from now - bet nobody will buy car's, it will all be some sort of subscription - and as for loss of fuel duty - can't see how they can add it to the domestic electric rate, they will of course collect any extra VAT from charging the car, and the rest - well, you can bet cars will be fitted with some sort of smart-meter tech which will charge per mile - after all that is how it's done today, albeit indirectly, in that, the more miles you do the more fuel you use and the more VAT you pay.