First time buyer

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
SandSSW009

Post by SandSSW009 »

Well - we have taken the plunge. XC40 on order - first ever Volvo.

Had a read through the forum and to be honest now a little unsure we have ordered the right on? :D T3 Inscription with Bike Rack pack and private windows.

Didn’t even think of heated seats & integrated smart phone etc.

I am sure it will be fine for us :?

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

There will be time to change your order if you wish as I suspect it will be some time before your car is built.

If you haven't already.. Have a look at volvos website and the individual specifications for each model type, the packages, options and accessories that are available. You can even do a virtual build of the car you want.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

As cars have got more and more complex, my buying process has too. My current Tiguan, I bought 6 years ago, I wanted a 4 wheel drive, and a 'reasonable' spec. Misses car bought last year she wanted automatic, reversing camera, a particular colour. She changed the model she was looking at (Polo) when offered 26 week delivery on her choice, of different car (T-Cross) with all she wanted but in stock.

With my search this time that led me to the XC40 I've ordered, I had a comprehensive list of must have's and nice to have's. I printed out the specs at each level and compared in fine detail till I chose the spec I ended up ordering. I still ended up changing the colour, I had picked denim blue, thinking it was the strong blue I'd seen, but it turned out to be a muddy blue and they didn't offer my second choice thunder grey in inscription so ended up with fusion red.

I mulled over T4 recharge or B4, but ended up with the mild hybrid, I couldn't justify going over the £40k road tax break as I wouldn't recover the cost in my driving which isn't a huge amount these days. T3 wouldn't be an option for me, I tow a 1400kg caravan (lockdown permitting) though I've no doubt it would be fine otherwise. The misses T-Cross is a compact SUV, and has a 3 cyl 1 litre engine. I'm amazed at how it goes, and the economy at the same time. When I first started driving a 1 litre wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, and 30 mpg was a stretch.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Vice Chair

Post by Vice Chair »

If money is the deciding factor I'd always go for the car basics first - Strong engine, strong mechanicals.

So cut out all the fluff - packs, heated this, heated that etc etc, and go for the biggest engine, strongest mechanicals.

T4 (now B4) and AWD in the RDesign version would be, and was, my choice.

All the packs do is put the price up. My T4 AWD RDesign, with no frills, cost a little over £30K, about 18 months ago. Certainly a lot less than £40K for which get warm hands a warm backside and a camera and a few extra sensors.
SandSSW009

Post by SandSSW009 »

Thanks for the advice.

We are going from a Mini Clubman, though to be honest I use an 04 Fiat Panda as a knock around so I have a feeling any Volvo will feel luxurious in comparison.

I did waver re the T3 but never go off road and a bike rack will be the heaviest thing we tow, I have read good things about the engine...so fingers crossed.

My wife wanted the colour black and tinted windows and as my left knee now plays up in traffic I went for automatic. Other than that my tastes are simple. e.g. to me one alloy wheel looks quite similar to another?

I guess it depends what you are used to.

I have read others that have doubted whether the R-Drive would be better than the Inscription but I guess we just went for an extra bit of luxury and just hope I don’t regret it.

My brother has driven Volvo’s for years and always rated them.

We have a delivery date mid March so I am looking forward to it .... though whether I will be brave enough to try and fit it in the garage will be another matter.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Vice Chair wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:54 pm If money is the deciding factor I'd always go for the car basics first - Strong engine, strong mechanicals.

So cut out all the fluff - packs, heated this, heated that etc etc, and go for the biggest engine, strongest mechanicals.

T4 (now B4) and AWD in the RDesign version would be, and was, my choice.

All the packs do is put the price up. My T4 AWD RDesign, with no frills, cost a little over £30K, about 18 months ago. Certainly a lot less than £40K for which get warm hands a warm backside and a camera and a few extra sensors.
We oldies need warm hands a warm backside and a camera and a few extra sensors these day :-)
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21