driver's seat giving back problems

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Icas55

Post by Icas55 »

I've had my Volvo for 4 weeks and, try as a I might, I cannot find a comfortable driving position. I've driven VW for best part of 30 years and driven numerous hire cars and never had this problem. Strain occurs half way up the back just below shoulder blades. As one reason I chose this car was because loads of reviews comment on how comfortable it is to drive, this is really surprising and not a little frustrating. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if anyone has suggestions - i have played with lumbar support, back rest, seat elevation etc and tried adjusting the steering wheel. :(

Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Sounds to me like your back is the problem not the car seat!
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Moss

Post by Moss »

Icas55 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:48 pm I've had my Volvo for 4 weeks and, try as a I might, I cannot find a comfortable driving position. I've driven VW for best part of 30 years and driven numerous hire cars and never had this problem. Strain occurs half way up the back just below shoulder blades. As one reason I chose this car was because loads of reviews comment on how comfortable it is to drive, this is really surprising and not a little frustrating. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if anyone has suggestions - i have played with lumbar support, back rest, seat elevation etc and tried adjusting the steering wheel. :(
Not finding the correct driving posture in a car is a problem indeed, but IMHO, if you still have back problems after adjusting the lumbar support, the back rest, the seat elevation, the seat position, and the steering wheel, I think you better see a medical doctor. In the meantime, this may be of help : https://www.wikihow.com/Adjust-Seating- ... le-Driving
Ovlovjohn

Post by Ovlovjohn »

Hi, I too have only had my XC40 a short while and I too started to have a bad back after taking ownership. I came from a ‘less comfortable’ BMW X3 so I figured it must be something else that was causing the problem. I didn’t drive the car for a couple of days and my back was fine. I then had a couple of longish trips and again my back started to cause pain. After playing with the driving positions I decided to go back to basics, I turned the lumber off, I.e no lumber support given and moved my seat back a little (l normally drive closer to the dash) and hey presto all was fine. My suggestion is to keep trying the different positions. Hope this helps.
RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

I have had back trouble for years, but find the seats in the XC40 superb. I have the lumbar support near enough on its minimum setting (my physio recommended that). I set the seat position up for my leg reach first (I'm only 5'4"), then adjust the seat height to maximum (so I can see out of the windows :) ) and finally alter the steering wheel for rake and reach so that there's no strain in my shoulders and arms. I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue
Icas55

Post by Icas55 »

Thanks, Ron,
I'm 5.3 and have the seat maximum height, minimum lumbar support and seat set so I can operate the clutch comfortably. ( half wish got the automatic now) . Can I ask how much you adjust the steering wheel and what angle you have the back rest? I know everyone is different, but i'm keen to try anything!

is
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
RonFleet

Post by RonFleet »

Icas55 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:51 pm Thanks, Ron,
I'm 5.3 and have the seat maximum height, minimum lumbar support and seat set so I can operate the clutch comfortably. ( half wish got the automatic now) . Can I ask how much you adjust the steering wheel and what angle you have the back rest? I know everyone is different, but i'm keen to try anything!

is
I have the steering wheel pushed as close to the dashboard as it will go and pulled down so that the display is partly obscured (I have to duck my head down an inch to read the exterior temperature, for example). I have the backrest set such that it is leaning back just a little - enough to take the vertical pressure off my spine (again - as recommended by my physio). I hope that helps.
Cheers,
Ron

XC40 B3 Plus Automatic
Fjord Blue
morganj

Post by morganj »

From reading this thread it would seem I am a bit of an anomaly, my driving position seems very far removed from both every one mentioned here and also the recommended positions presented.

My seat is all the way down to the floor (would like it a little lower but not possible) front of seat tilted all the way up to maximum, backrest a few deg back from vertical, seat far enough forward to allow me to push the pedals through the bulkhead if my legs were strong enough and wheel is extended and reasonably high (when in my seated position wrists are able to rest on top of wheel with arms still slightly bent.

My position is a mix of rally driver and BTCC driver position.

I find it very comfortable and gives great control and feel of the car, i can drive upwards of 4hours without any strain or discomfort.

Maybe I'm just a freak :)
NOW XC60 Plus, Dark T6 Recharge. Vapor Grey

PREVIOUS XC40 T5 Recharge MY21 | Versatility | Driver assist| Techic | Light | Semi-auto Park assist
BionicRusty

Post by BionicRusty »

Oh this doesn’t bode well for me 😳
I’m the same height as you @Icas55 and currently in a huge wait for my car to get here.
The longest I test drove one for was about 25 mins and in that time, I found the seats fine.
The only difference I can think of is that I’m getting and test drove the auto.
For me, I tend to have the seat as high as it will go and the seat back not too upright. This can cause a real problem for me.
Also, I can’t have any lumbar adjustment at all, I have this right back into the seat as any pressure on my lower back causes issues for my shoulders, which sounds like what you are describing. Also I’ve found that a clutch pedal can cause issues which is why I went to auto’s 20’ish years ago.
Good luck and all I can offer by way of advice is;
Move your seat to suit your left leg using the clutch, but,
Also consider your arms. Use the steering wheel adjustment so that you arms are not too far away
Make sure the seat pad extensions are not extended (can cause pressure on thighs that, unbelievably, could translate to back/shoulder issues)
Don’t have the back rest too upright ((I see many shorter people sitting bolt upright and way too close to the steering wheel (work car park). And many of these complain the seats cause back pain))

Of course, I’m sure you’ve tried all of this and I honestly hope that this hasn’t come across as patronising. It’s purely meant in the hope that something helps.

Good luck with it though. I truly hope that you can resolve the issue.
Engine - B4P
Trim - Inscription Pro
Paint - Glacier Silver
Interior - Red oxide leather
Car registered: 4th November 2020