New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
MjP

Post by MjP »

Hi all.

I’m on the lookout for a d3 or d4 inscription and I’d like It with the intelisafe pro option. If I’m correct, this gives adaptive cruise and pilot assist (both options that I want) but it doesn’t give me the blind spot warning and some other bits, (but I’m not bothered about them)
When I was talking to a Volvo salesman recently, he told me that I could have adaptive cruise and pilot assist fitted retrospectively, and I was really surprised at this.
So my questions for you good people are:
Do you know whether it really is possible to fit afterwards, or whether this was just salesman’s talk, and also should I be wary of fitting these options retrospectively?
It would really widen my search options if it can be fitted to any xc40

Thank you in advance for your thoughts

Mike
XC40 D4 AWD Inscription Pro with Intellisafe, Xenium & Winter Packs and 21 inch wheels. Denim Blue with Charcoal Leather

Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Welcome Mike.

1st part of your question - Intellisafe Pro is the complete suite. You can (or, at least, you used to be able to) buy a reduced version called Intellisafe Surround that, IIRC, gave you just BLIS & CTA.

2nd part - Yes, it's a relatively new thing. It's mostly software anyhoos but also comprises of an upgraded (or additional???) hydraulic unit to control the auto-steer.

I would usually advise going for factory fit but......it hardly sounds like the most difficult of jobs. There *may* even be the possibility of an improved set-up but I'm just thinking out loud here & you should probably ignore me.

FYI, the reason I mention the above is that, on the V60, owners of certain model years who had it retrofitted can now upgrade to Pilot Assist 3 (those with factory fit prior to PA3 had weaker hydraulics). Probably irrelevant to the XC40 as probably a different unit (PA3 is irrelevant anyway because of the chip but, if it does provide stronger hydraulics, it might improve cornering on Pilot Assist).

EDIT P.S: I now think this is wrong, I was just parroting what I read on a forum. I have done some more digging and I think the reason factory-fits couldn't be upgraded is more likely to have been because of the chip - though I'm still not 100%.
Last edited by Silver Moose on Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Oh, and be careful your salesman is not trying to pull a fast one by trying to sell you a stock car AND get the workshop business.

You say you're not bothered about BLIS & CTA - I'd say think again, they are well worth it. I've not looked into it but, I suspect the retrofit is only PA & ACC as BLIS requires different door mirrors AFAIK.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
MjP

Post by MjP »

Hi Carl, thanks for the info.

I was a bit suspicious of the salesman’s claim - like you say, trying to drum up business for the workshop.

I understand now about the the pro / surround options, and I think I’ll keep looking for a factory fitted pro version.

Very helpful Carl, thanks again.

Mike
XC40 D4 AWD Inscription Pro with Intellisafe, Xenium & Winter Packs and 21 inch wheels. Denim Blue with Charcoal Leather