B4P Question - Inscription Ordered Mid June - Late September Delivery

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
energyuk

Post by energyuk »

Ordered a B4P Inscription mid June, have been told by dealer to expect late September for delivery (UK), it appears most other people have been advised early September for those that ordered mid June , maybe the dealer is going to exceed my expectations and deliver earlier than advised.

Can anyone help tell me the difference between the T4 petrol engine which is now badged at B4P ?

Can't wait to take delivery of this car, my first premium car experience.

Enjoyed reading the forums, and learning about my new to be car.
XC40 / B4P / Inscription / Pebble Grey / Blond Leather / Climate Pack / Driver Assist Pack / Lounge Pack / 19.5 Alloys / Tempa Spare Wheel / Dark Tinted Rear Windows

Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

I believe the difference is so small, you'll barely notice the difference.

I'm moving from T4 in my XC40 to B5(P) in a V60CC.

As far as I can tell, it's just a beefed-up starter motor that can work in reverse for recuperation + extra battery capacity.

Benefits for all: Smooths out stop/start (most of the time - there are reports that it can get confused & be quite jerky, which would be a major fail).

Benefits for town drivers: Slight improvement in economy due to recuperation, initial acceleration, & more use of recuperated battery power for climate, audio, etc.

Disadvantage for motorway drivers: Unnecessary extra weight to lug around.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
energyuk

Post by energyuk »

Thanks for the info, be interesting to see how it performs.
XC40 / B4P / Inscription / Pebble Grey / Blond Leather / Climate Pack / Driver Assist Pack / Lounge Pack / 19.5 Alloys / Tempa Spare Wheel / Dark Tinted Rear Windows
energyuk

Post by energyuk »

Just an update on my delivery dates, was originally given late September, then the 06th October, but now had a call from dealer and should be picking it up on the 18th September.
Read the manual, got the screen protector, good to go. :D
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

energyuk wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:27 am Just an update on my delivery dates, was originally given late September, then the 06th October, but now had a call from dealer and should be picking it up on the 18th September.
Read the manual, got the screen protector, good to go. :D
Enjoy your new car - dealerships and delivery times are dark arts that no one truly understands. :lol:
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

There are initial reports on the mild hybrid engines (B4) returning better mileage than the previous generation (T4). I haven’t seen a specific comparative test made on XC40, but the conclusion in this video could mean that you should expect lower fuel consumption (go to min 14) https://youtu.be/c7I8vMjq4Ow
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

The B4 is a 'mild hybrid'. In mild hybrids there generally is a device which replaces the starter and alternator with a single device which assists the powertrain. I presume that is how it works in Volvo as well. Having driven B4 models the biggest change is that the Stop-Start works really seamlessly unlike the rubbish implementation in the older XC40 models!
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
Joe Bloggs

Post by Joe Bloggs »

I have the T4. The B4 is what's known as a Mild Hybrid.

The stop/start system on my T4 works flawlessly and causes me no concerns.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Joe Bloggs wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:09 pm I have the T4. The B4 is what's known as a Mild Hybrid.

Agreed - I also have T4 & no problems (B5 on order).

T4 is flawless for many drivers. Those that complain about T4 will, sure as eggs are eggs, complain about the B4.

If you're a gentle driver, B4 will be ever so slightly better as there are milliseconds improvement at getting going again. However, in order to improve economy, B4 will cut out BEFORE you come to a stop. This may cause you issues if you suddenly decide to hoof it again.

To summarise, aggressive drivers should switch to dynamic for enthusiastic city driving, as a pragmatic solution to bypass stop/start & improve take-up.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

Silver Moose wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:39 pm
Joe Bloggs wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:09 pm I have the T4. The B4 is what's known as a Mild Hybrid.

Agreed - I also have T4 & no problems (B5 on order).

T4 is flawless for many drivers. Those that complain about T4 will, sure as eggs are eggs, complain about the B4.

If you're a gentle driver, B4 will be ever so slightly better as there are milliseconds improvement at getting going again. However, in order to improve economy, B4 will cut out BEFORE you come to a stop. This may cause you issues if you suddenly decide to hoof it again.

To summarise, aggressive drivers should switch to dynamic for enthusiastic city driving, as a pragmatic solution to bypass stop/start & improve take-up.
Having driven both I have to disagree and I am not an aggressive driver. In my T5 the Stop-Start is too eager to Stop and lazy to re Start. In the B4/5 it doesn't make use of the starter motor and as a result the whole process is far smoother to the point of being almost unnoticeable. Using dynamic mode is a red herring.
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18