Collected at last

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
BxUKXwp6CZ01

Post by BxUKXwp6CZ01 »

My wife has had to SHIELD from this blasted virus meaning I have hardly ventured from the house in the last 10 weeks, so when I finally drove 25miles to collect my Volvo it felt almost like a post apocalypse trip. Arriving at the dealers I was greeted by tape floor markings, screen staff in masks etc. and all conversations conducted at some three metres distance. The spell was broken with the news that I had an additional £340 to pay for changes to first year registration following the April budget (now £870!!). The car was as specified, however on the powered tailgate there is only one button to close whilst the manual shows a second button to close and lock the tailgate - when was that removed?
I was trading in my 5 year old Evoque, which had not suffered any issues during its life, contrary to much quoted reliability reports. Whilst the Inscription switch gear and plastics are noticeably a level down the car gives a beautifully quiet, comfortable, ride and the tech is excellent, particularly the 360 degree cameras and adaptive cruise control.
There were a couple of “finish” details that will require attention and orange peel look to an area of paintwork was disappointing.
In summary a little more care with the build would have made a car which certainly provides an excellent driving experience with high quality supporting tech an unbeatably vehicle.
T4 AWD Inscription Auto Intellisafe Xenium Pack Winter Pack Tempa Spare Wheel

Bernard Bernardsson

Post by Bernard Bernardsson »

Hi B, my car arrived at the dealers yesterday morning, should pick it up next week, hopefully sooner rather than later. I ordered mine more or less the same time as you did, has it turned up as MY 2020 or 21? Also, while I'm being nosey, what colours have you picked for paint & upholstery?
I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but it's just because I'm excited about my first ever new car being so close to pick up time. Anyway, hope you get a chance to enjoy it, and have some fun learning all the gubbins. I'm hopefully towing my caravan to Cornwall & Devon, the 1st week in July if it's allowed, so need to get a few miles on it before then.
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Ordered 14th Feb, delivery down as 29th May😞
Delivered, 1st September 20, now climate pack :D
BxUKXwp6CZ01

Post by BxUKXwp6CZ01 »

Hi Bernard, MY 20, Black Stone with Blond interior - make sure you get Wi-Fi and your mobile linked to Volvo On Call before you leave dealer as I am still struggling to get it to work. Enjoy your new car smell - nothing like it!
T4 AWD Inscription Auto Intellisafe Xenium Pack Winter Pack Tempa Spare Wheel
Bernard Bernardsson

Cool, thanks for the advice, I'll do that. The black looks good, I was going for that at first, but the dealer already had the blue one ordered, so went for that one in an attempt to speed things up, that went well :lol:
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Bernard Bernardsson

Well, got to say, I'm a bit miffed. As mantioned, dealer rang last Friday to say it has arrived and can pick up this week. Hoped for early week, and told sales manager would ring monday/Tuesday to confirm. Rang today, left a message asking him to ring me, rang around 1e o clock to say I could pick up Friday 1.30 pm. Just rang me to tell me there's a problem. Oh, right says me. The car has come not quite as ordered. It's come as a r design pro, in black. As you can see, it's just a bit different from the one I ordered. I'm a bit stunned really. The options are, wait for another to be built, probably arrive in September, take the car that's come or get deposit back, I admit I was so thrown I didn't know what to think, just waiting for the offer price on the r design :(
gt40

Post by gt40 »

Bernard Bernardsson wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:47 pm Well, got to say, I'm a bit miffed. As mantioned, dealer rang last Friday to say it has arrived and can pick up this week. Hoped for early week, and told sales manager would ring monday/Tuesday to confirm. Rang today, left a message asking him to ring me, rang around 1e o clock to say I could pick up Friday 1.30 pm. Just rang me to tell me there's a problem. Oh, right says me. The car has come not quite as ordered. It's come as a r design pro, in black. As you can see, it's just a bit different from the one I ordered. I'm a bit stunned really. The options are, wait for another to be built, probably arrive in September, take the car that's come or get deposit back, I admit I was so thrown I didn't know what to think, just waiting for the offer price on the r design :(

Madness!
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Bernard Bernardsson wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:47 pm Well, got to say, I'm a bit miffed. As mantioned, dealer rang last Friday to say it has arrived and can pick up this week. Hoped for early week, and told sales manager would ring monday/Tuesday to confirm. Rang today, left a message asking him to ring me, rang around 1e o clock to say I could pick up Friday 1.30 pm. Just rang me to tell me there's a problem. Oh, right says me. The car has come not quite as ordered. It's come as a r design pro, in black. As you can see, it's just a bit different from the one I ordered. I'm a bit stunned really. The options are, wait for another to be built, probably arrive in September, take the car that's come or get deposit back, I admit I was so thrown I didn't know what to think, just waiting for the offer price on the r design :(
Really doesn't sound like that it's your car that's been delivered in the slightest.

If the R design is something you might be interested in even if it wasn't your first choice...what will the dealer do to encourage you to take it? If it's not what you want then wait for your proper build to come. I'd also want the details of what went wrong...why did the dealer order the wrong car? This all sounds like dealer error rather than a Volvo error. I'd also consider going to another dealer who might have earlier build slots available.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Ks2

Post by Ks2 »

Shocking !! Does the car they have include all of the extras you specified ?
squint

Post by squint »

Absolutely agree with blastpipe.
Don’t let your obvious disappointment/ anger let you make a hasty decision you’ll come to regret.
Definitely sounds like dealership’s error - mine didn’t spot Smartphone Integration not fitted till I collected it.
I would suggest get a full list of what extras are on the car because it must be different to the Inscription.
Did dealership even apologise?
You never know, you might even prefer it - in which case don’t admit it but tell dealership you’ll think about it. Then decide what other extras you’d like as compensation and make a counter offer.
If you still want your original choice - I’m unsure which MY you’d get and it may not be same as one you ordered, again either get as many free extras or go elsewhere.

I feel your disappointment

I have received written confirmation my rejection of my 3 month car has been accepted - I too am deeply disappointed - I honestly can’t find a car I prefer to the one I’ve rejected.
Regretfully rejected R Design, Glacier Silver, T4 Auto FWD Convenience Pack, Front Park Assist,Power Glass Tilt & Slide,Smartphone Integration,Winter Pack, Mudflaps
Bernard Bernardsson

Thanks for the replies fellers, nice to have some commiserations! The sales manager has said he doesn't know for sure what happened, but has said chances are it's their fault not volvos'. He did apologise, and explained the options honestly, I perhaps made it sound like an ultimatum, but it wasn't, it was just, this is what we can do in this situation.
So we are going down tomorrow to look at the car that's come, and have a chat. The choices mainly seem to be, take the car that's turned up, although as it's a pro model, it may be a bit dearer and still not really what I wanted, see what's in stock if anything suits us or just have the deposit back. Or what I think we will go for which is, order a new car to the same spec as the original, this would come as MY 2021, this includes the reversing camera as standard this year, the climate pack, previously called winter pack, which adds heated steering wheel and rear seats on top, and he will fit the towbar free. And it will more than likely end up as a 70 reg. He will honour the original deal.
So a bit of a bummer, but in the end its a car, and could have been delayed longer with the stuff that's been going on.
Cheers for the support again I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow :roll: