Sim not recognised

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Reg Istration

Post by Reg Istration »

WelshRobin wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 4:36 pm If the boot SIM is needed for traffic information, does this mean that once the free subscription expires the car owner has to pay a couple of hundred pounds for a renewed Vodaphone subscription to continue to receive traffic alerts? My previous Volvo V40 displayed traffic information and suggested diversions at no ongoing cost to me.
I'm not really sure. I'll try it when I can. The manual refers to two types of info Traffic Information and Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI). It's the second one that comes via the Internet connected car as I understand.

I'd have to take out my boot SIM to see if anything changes but there's limited chance to do this at present!

As far as hundreds of pounds are concerned I'm not sure where that value come from. A data only SIM for 2 year use of 24Gb can be had for about £30 to £40 and that would last the full 2 years, depending on your other use with it if course.

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Reg Istration wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:33 pm
WelshRobin wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 4:36 pm If the boot SIM is needed for traffic information, does this mean that once the free subscription expires the car owner has to pay a couple of hundred pounds for a renewed Vodaphone subscription to continue to receive traffic alerts? My previous Volvo V40 displayed traffic information and suggested diversions at no ongoing cost to me.
I'm not really sure. I'll try it when I can. The manual refers to two types of info Traffic Information and Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI). It's the second one that comes via the Internet connected car as I understand.

I'd have to take out my boot SIM to see if anything changes but there's limited chance to do this at present!

As far as hundreds of pounds are concerned I'm not sure where that value come from. A data only SIM for 2 year use of 24Gb can be had for about £30 to £40 and that would last the full 2 years, depending on your other use with it if course.

Take 5 before removing the sim. Did I read somewhere that if it removed it renders itself no good? Or that might be if it’s registered, you can’t pop it into another device or car.
Also I just checked on the tinternet for prices. These are pay as you go or least that’s what I thought it said.

051182B2-D2D3-4FEC-AE20-E32E7799D1D8.png

R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Dont panic... I bought a 3 data only sim for about £30 which is expected to last 2 years without top up.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Reg Istration

Post by Reg Istration »

Dermottdog wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:56 pm

Take 5 before removing the sim. Did I read somewhere that if it removed it renders itself no good? Or that might be if it’s registered, you can’t pop it into another device or car.
Also I just checked on the tinternet for prices. These are pay as you go or least that’s what I thought it said.
Nothing of what you mention is true. You can remove the SIM; I've done this a few times to swop between makes. Doesn't make a difference if it's registered; why would it.
None of the SIM cards you've referenced will do; you need data only, not ones with minutes or text.
The 3 network one mentioned is one I've tried, before I got the free Vodafone Volvo one, and it works fine.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Reg Istration wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:42 pm
Dermottdog wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:56 pm

Nothing of what you mention is true. You can remove the SIM; I've done this a few times to swop between makes. Doesn't make a difference if it's registered; why would it.
None of the SIM cards you've referenced will do; you need data only, not ones with minutes or text.
The 3 network one mentioned is one I've tried, before I got the free Vodafone Volvo one, and it works fine.
Like I said, I read somewhere something about it. All I said to the fella is take 5...

363D4FEF-F0A8-47EA-A2C2-29B077596952.jpeg

R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Reg Istration

Post by Reg Istration »

You actually replied to my post, so I am the "fella" you refer. I've, as said, tried and been successful in changing SIM cards on a few occasions with no detriment to using them again, more than once etc. I can only report on my experience.

The image you show doesn't seem to be from a manual but perhaps from a user/dealer put together instruction sheet. It obviously needs correcting and amending. Perhaps you can advise the creator of the document.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Came with the sim after dealer fitted it. On the first page.

8C9BCFE0-7B27-459B-BFA0-DF644F6DB94C.jpeg

Reg Istration

Post by Reg Istration »

Dermottdog wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:18 pm Came with the sim after dealer fitted it. On the first page.

It looks as I mentioned - a put together user/dealer instruction sheet. Someone in the dealership knows how to use MS Word 😀
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I wonder if the confusing sim cancellation document relates to a link between Volvo and Vodafone such that Volvo get billed only once a SIM is placed into a particular car. Maybe then the VIN is pinged across as part of the initialisation...if that VIN has already had a Vodafone/volvo sim then it won't allow another to be registered...just a thought. Otherwise it is normally the case you can move sim cards around as much as you want without harm to them.

I'm happy with my 3 data only sim....given the grief people have had setting up the free vodafone ones I'm glad I went with 3.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

Thanks folks. I had not realised that a data-only SIM would cost so much less than a mobile phone SIM. Another point: I wonder what the difference is between Traffic Information and Real Time Traffic Information? Is RTTI more up to date?