Sim not recognised

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Chris Evans

Post by Chris Evans »

I have taken delivery of a 6 month old XC40 at the start of the period of lockdown and was not able to have a proper handover. I have obtained a sim from sky and have had it activated but after putting it in the car it is still asking me to insert a sim.
I also understand that I cannot activate Volvo On Call without a sim and a code.
Any suggestions

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

The VOC is operated through a separate SIM that should have been in the car that has always been installed the additional data sim is the one you put in the boot...

Initial checks would be...that the new sim is actually registered and working with data in another device...is the sim the right size?

Feel free to use the search function as that will also bring up options to help you through the process in the absence of volvo dealers at the present time
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
aj05

Post by aj05 »

Just a thought you did purchase a data only sim?
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

I am interested in the comment by Blastpipe that VOC does not rely on the data SIM in the boot. Attempts to install the SIM in my vehicle were unsuccessful and the lockdown has now intervened. I have no internet connection and following the procedure for connecting to VOC from the phone app yields a message on the centre screen: "You have not subscribed to a Volvo On Call service". Are other forum members getting the VOC without an internet connection from a data SIM. I've had the car for eleven weeks now and this is getting frustrating!
Whiterdesign

Post by Whiterdesign »

The Voc apps works on a built in Sim in the car. If you add your own sim for data use then Voc uses this Sim.
Reg Istration

Post by Reg Istration »

I had my car for about 6 weeks before I obtained the Volvo free SIM. The VOC app and system worked flawlessly without the SIM in those 6 weeks.

As I understand it when you add a SIM that SIM takes over from the built in method.

Not sure if Volvo still offer the free SIM but they certainly did 6 months ago.

The benefits of the boot SIM are that traffic data (what traffic!) is then brought in.
Handyman

Post by Handyman »

I'm intrigued with the posts on the installation / location / activation of Simm or Simms!!!!!. When I took delivery in September 2019 the vehicle was all set up with VOC with a free Vodaphone Simm installed in the boot, am I missing something? is there another location for another Simm?

Stay Safe.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

I think there are 2 sims. One that’s built in that allows VOC to work and another that could be installed if the car owner wanted too. Then midway through last year, Volvo decided it would give away a free 100Gb SIM card with every new car. Obviously, this is a no brainer and everyone should ask for one at handover. As for me, my sales guy didn’t know too much about it. Indeed, when I booked my car in for a bit of warranty work, 2 service reception guys thought I had to buy a sim and it wasn’t free. So it would appear that you don’t need the free sim installed but if you want to make full use of apps and have the family log on to use the 100Gb of free data on one of those ‘Are we there yet? Are we there yet? trips, it’s required.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Reg Istration

Post by Reg Istration »

The SIM (subscriber identification module) card that can be fitted in the boot also opens up the use of the limited number of Volvo apps such as TuneIn radio app, and also the traffic info for the satnav.
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

If the boot SIM is needed for traffic information, does this mean that once the free subscription expires the car owner has to pay a couple of hundred pounds for a renewed Vodaphone subscription to continue to receive traffic alerts? My previous Volvo V40 displayed traffic information and suggested diversions at no ongoing cost to me.