NO spare wheel!

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
WhatNext?

Post by WhatNext? »

The genuine spare wheel and bits weighs 11kg. Presume the supplied liquid fix weighs something, let's say 4kg.

I'm sure they could lose the difference (7kg) on something less important.

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hmm, not sure that’s entirely true. Lots of modern sealants are water based and therefore are easily washed away. As for tyre repair centres refusing to repair tyres that have been repaired by sealants, I suspect that’s more to do with the profit that can be had by selling the customer a new tyre. As an example of this, I can only tell you of an experience that I had a few years ago. The small company van I was driving had a slow puncture. I kept inflating it for weeks but eventually bit the bullet and put the spare on and stuck the other one in the van for repair ASAP. As an engineer whose tools and spares were used on a daily basis, the deflated wheel was taken in and out of the van half a dozen times a day. After 3 or 4 days I went to Kwikfit and said I needed a tyre repair. The guy took it away and came back a few minutes later showing me the tyre had a 2 inch nail sticking out of the tread and needed a new tyre. I told him I’d handled the tyre 5 or 6 times a day for 3 days and asked him why I hadn’t spotted the nail. They repaired the puncture!!

As for the tyre suffering slash damage, then obviously a spare (full or space saver) is the only way of getting out of trouble if that’s the case.
Last edited by Dermottdog on Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
WhatNext?

Post by WhatNext? »

I have no expertise in types of sealant or experience in whether or not a tyre can be repaired or not. Whether the repair shop refuses a repair because technically it can't be done or they won't do it for cost reasons the outcome is the same - the tyre isn't repaired.

A spare wheel would remove the issue.

I took the decision not to order a spare wheel, I penny pinched myself if you will 😀.

However after a recent long trip, I wonder if I'll ever go on one again, I was concious of my risk if I suffered a puncture.

I think that eventually, given the current challenges, I'll buy a space saver kit.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

You're ok if you have recovery as they carry multifit wheels to get you going if your tyre is not repairable at the roadside.

But I'd rather have my own spare so i ordered one with the car even if only a space saver. Worth it for peace of mind.

[Nearly] Every car manufacturer is the same now this is not a Volvo specific issue.
Last edited by blastpipe on Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Clock

Post by Clock »

blastpipe wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:38 pm You're ok if you have recovery as they carry multifit wheels to get you going if your tyre is not repairable at the roadside.

But I'd rather have my own spare so i ordered one with the car even if only a space saver. Worth it for peace of mind.

Every car manufacturer is the same now this is not a Volvo specific issue.
Try VW, they're quite a big manufacturer of cars, they come with either full size or space saver as standard equipment.
johnd

Post by johnd »

See the full EV Recharge XC40 doesn't even have the option of a spare. The reason is probably that the space is used by the battery and/or rear electric motor. I guess it would have been possible to work around this problem and still provide a spare but only at the cost of significant compromise to the internal packaging.

I have been quite tempted by the Recharge but this spare issue is another black mark, although the main issue is the price that Volvo are looking to charge - a well-optioned example is approaching £60K (and with no reduction by the government grant which is now limited to EVs under £50K). It's about £10K too much in my book.
Notsure

Post by Notsure »

Hi
Been reading this thread with interest as I hadn’t even considered the spare wheel when choosing options but it now looks like a serious option.
Quick question, does it make any difference to it being chosen as I have specified the convenience Pack, in that the boot floor is different (split and foldable) or does it simply fit under the bottom floor ?
Thanks
T4 R Design, Auto, Crystal White, Convenience Pack, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Front Park Assist, Smartphone Integration, Tempa spare wheel and jack.
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

Notsure wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:54 pm Hi
Been reading this thread with interest as I hadn’t even considered the spare wheel when choosing options but it now looks like a serious option.
Quick question, does it make any difference to it being chosen as I have specified the convenience Pack, in that the boot floor is different (split and foldable) or does it simply fit under the bottom floor ?
Thanks
I have the tempa wheel and convenience pack.
Under the folding floor you still have storage (enough for the parcel shelf) and under that second floor is the tempa wheel.

I have been in a car when a tyre ripped on something on the motorway and the driver only had a repair kit which was zero use in this case. I always get a spare wheel of some kind now.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
Notsure

Post by Notsure »

Thanks DarrenF, I think I need to be adding it to my list of options hoping that I’m not too late to add it.

Does the space that it sits in have anything else in it if you do not have one, ie.expanded polystyrene or is it simply more storage ?
T4 R Design, Auto, Crystal White, Convenience Pack, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Front Park Assist, Smartphone Integration, Tempa spare wheel and jack.