NO spare wheel!

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Aichar

Post by Aichar »

Just taken delivery of a new T4 XC40. VERY disappointed to find that there is no spare wheel, not even a get-you-home, just one of those inflation packs (which I understand to be death to the tyre they are used on). The owners handbook (p503) explicitly states that there is a get-you-home wheel in the boot well. Not true!
Has anyone else found this discrepancy, and has anyone complained to their dealer about this? If so, with what results? For the money one spends on these (very fine) cars, one would have thought a usable spare wheel would be expected.

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

The brochures and online material I used to specify the car were clear on the matter. As was the optional extra of a space saver spare wheel which I purchased.

Car manuals usually cover all options even though you might have not selected them. In the same way they cover diesel and petrol cars.. Or those with awd and those without.

Spare wheels have been a rarity on new cars for many years. At best a space saver, usually a van of gunk.

I would doubt you have any comeback unless you specified the option to have one fitted to your car.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
WhatNext?

Post by WhatNext? »

At each point that a spare wheel is mentioned in the manual there is quite clearly an asterisk * at the side of each mention. At the bottom of each page the asterisk is explained as meaning "Option/accessory".

It's quite clear that the spare wheel/tyre is a paid for extra.

After the car is bought without that particular option the accessory can be purchased separately, from the dealer or any number of 3rd party providers.

Caveat emptor, but in this case it's quite clear.
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

I agree with WhatNext? and blastpipe - it is on the website and brochure.

I take it the dealership never mentioned it to you?

On a side note - I am sure I read somewhere it is not as simple as buying a wheel as there is more involved as the temporary wheel was not ordered with the car. Could well be mistaken but worth checking out if you do want to buy one.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

It really pays to look at the all the options available when ordering and decide whether you want each particular one, or whether you are happy to go without.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
WhatNext?

Post by WhatNext? »

https://www.volvopartshop.com/new-xc40- ... 8010-p.asp

£251 from Volvopartsshop

Genuine Volvo part, comes with:
Jack
Socket Wrench
Foam Block Under Spare Wheel
Foam Block Inside Spare Wheel
Securing Screw
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

Only £150 if ordered with the car - speak to the dealership and they maybe to get this at £150 for you as you just got the car

it's the foam cut outs I was thinking about.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Aichar wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:50 am Just taken delivery of a new T4 XC40. VERY disappointed to find that there is no spare wheel, not even a get-you-home, just one of those inflation packs (which I understand to be death to the tyre they are used on). The owners handbook (p503) explicitly states that there is a get-you-home wheel in the boot well. Not true!
Has anyone else found this discrepancy, and has anyone complained to their dealer about this? If so, with what results? For the money one spends on these (very fine) cars, one would have thought a usable spare wheel would be expected.
The tyre inflation liquid is designed to get you out of a hole and not to ruin your tyre. As any emergency or temporary measure, it’s sole purpose is to get you out of a situation (a possible serious situation) till a proper permanent fix can be applied. If you follow the guidelines, I’m sure it will be fine.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
WhatNext?

Post by WhatNext? »

A lot of tyre repair shops will refuse to repair a tyre that has been "fixed" using the inflation/liquid fix. Effectively meaning that instead of a relatively cheap repair a new tyre has to be bought. Hence using the liquid repair means a new tyre - death to the old one !!

The liquid fix will only work on relatively small punctures such as a nail. Large slash type wounds are not able to be covered with the liquid and require a new tyre (at the roadside) or a tow to a garage.

Shame on Volvo, and many other manufacturers, for penny pinching and not supplying at the least a space saver tyre, at best a full sized one. £150 in a +£30k vehicle.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

It's not penny pinching as such..it is more about getting the vehicle weight down for CO2/mpg testing. Every manufacturer (near as dammit) does exactly the same. Many manufacturers don't even have a spare wheel available as an option.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019