New XC40, not quite yet !

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Notsure

Post by Notsure »

Hi All

Should have been collecting my new XC40 today but unfortunately was not to be.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if the Ghent factory is back up and running on 5th April, as indicated by Volvo on the email shot I received.
No worries though, I'd rather it was delayed a bit longer and everybody was safe and well before re-open happens.
I'll just have to keep looking at pictures of one !!
:D

Take care all
T4 R Design, Auto, Crystal White, Convenience Pack, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Front Park Assist, Smartphone Integration, Tempa spare wheel and jack.

Deleted User 2446

Post by Deleted User 2446 »

Good attitude 😊 got mine on the 13th March. Just looking at it on the driveway with an empty bank balance. Oh well if Covit19 gets me, the kids can fight it out for my pride and joy (This is meant to be humours in these dark times) stay safe & stay in!!!
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

My car was made several weeks before pickup, was yours already on the manufacturing line do you know?

Hope it does not take too long once everything get moving again for you to get the car.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
Notsure

Post by Notsure »

Hi

Not sure if they had started making it or not ??

My revised delivery date, I guess based on start up on 5th April, is 21st April. We’ll wait and see :D
T4 R Design, Auto, Crystal White, Convenience Pack, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Front Park Assist, Smartphone Integration, Tempa spare wheel and jack.
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

Notsure wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:29 pm My revised delivery date, I guess based on start up on 5th April, is 21st April. We’ll wait and see :D
I waited 5 months and if they had delayed near pick up I would have gone crazy. Totally understandable why they have delayed with the current situation but it would have drove me mad.

Hope it all goes to plan and you get your new car soon.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

I think when they start they will prioritise customer builds ahead of churning out stock, so even though the closure will likely extend beyond 5 April, the total delay to orders will be less than the closure time.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Notsure

Post by Notsure »

Fingers crossed 🤞

Out of curiosity, and not particularly to do with my car, does anybody know how long it takes for an XC40 to go from the start of the production line to completion :?:
Is there any video footage online :?:

Thanks
WhatNext?

Post by WhatNext? »

I don't know about the Volvo production specifically but a standard mass produced car on a typical production line will take between 18 to 20 hours from beginning to end (sheet metal and parts to a functioning car).
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

local news snippet via auto-translate:

The 6,500 employees of Volvo Car Gent have been told that the factory wants to restart on Tuesday 14 April. The original reboot timing was April 6, but that turns out to be unfeasible. "We don't start up before the safety of the employees can be guaranteed", promises Gino Hautekeete of the ACV.

"The intention now is that the entire factory will be up and running again on Tuesday 14 April," it sounds. “The guidelines of the government will be followed at all times. The start-up date is the same as that of the Volvo sites in Sweden and the United States. ”

The unions are not making it a point. "We have been planning for days what needs to be done to allow a restart," said ACV's Gino Hautekeete. “Because let's be clear: the factory will only open again if the safety of all employees can be absolutely guaranteed. This will require adjustments, and it is already clear that April 6 is not feasible. So April 14 will be the next scheduled date. ”

Nevertheless, Hautekeete says that this is not a guarantee. “Nobody knows how this situation is evolving. It is not surprising that there is no immediate shift to April 19, the date that the federal government now sets for the end of the corona measures. It is not forbidden to work if it can be done in safe conditions. Lots of scenarios have been drawn up here in recent days, most of which will never be used. How we are going to work? With how many? We do not know yet. However, it does look together with the management, with the unions and with the social inspectorate. And the employees are kept informed of the plans. So they now know that April 14 is the target. But for the same money, that date will also be adjusted. We have to wait and see. ”
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Notsure

Post by Notsure »

Thanks for the snippet jamie307.

I'm not surprised and I would guess it won't be the last change of date, but as I mentioned before I'd rather wait and be certain that, albeit with a skeleton staff, they open the factory (ies) when it is fully safe to do so.

Stay safe good people

:D :D