Just wandered in🙂

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Bernard Bernardsson

Post by Bernard Bernardsson »

Hi folks, ordered an xc40 last week, then found this forum, thought it looked a nice place to find info and general chat. Think the cars in my signature, so I'll be cheeky and dive in with a general question. Has anyone who tows a caravan got any feedback, such as best drive mode, effect on mpg etc. Caravan weighs around 1500 kg.
Thanks in advance.
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Ordered 14th Feb, delivery down as 29th May😞
Delivered, 1st September 20, now climate pack :D

Deleted User 2525

Post by Deleted User 2525 »

While the drive modes are said to change steering and braking as well as the ability to alter the point at which gear change occurs I can't say I've noticed any difference apart from the gear change.

Comfort changes gear at certain revs and Dynamic holds a lower gear for a bit longer.

Dynamic gives a greater acceleration due to holding the gear longer, and drops quicker when approaching a bend, for example.

Eco changes up even earlier than Comfort and gives the sense you're driving a 1970s Vauxhall Chevette πŸ˜€
Bernard Bernardsson

Think I'll stick with eco then, nowt like a bit of nostalgia πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

And eco-mode knocks the air con back considerably and makes the car more prone to steaming up on cold/wet days. I've created my own using eco-mode as the base but with additional aircon functionality. Works well for me. I haven't towed with the XC40 yet sorry.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Bernard Bernardsson

Should go down well..... A 70s Chevette towing a ton and a half of caravan, I'll be really popular won't I? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Deleted User 2525

Post by Deleted User 2525 »

Only joking, the Eco mode isn't bad. It does change up quicker and have the effect on the AC but for long runs on motorways is ideal. I need to get some comparison of mpg between it and Comfort to see if it's worthwhile using.

Sorry I haven't any caravan experience to pass on. Apart from the usual "I'm stuck behind a bloody caravan" ones πŸ˜€
Bernard Bernardsson

Well, an update on the car delivery. Was originally down for 29th May, but dealer said as it was now a confirmed sale (rather than a dealer stock car), it may come a couple of weeks sooner. I popped in a couple of weeks ago after the MY21 changes were announced, to be told that it was still as ordered and a MY20 model, but may be here early May, late April. Got a call today that car will be in dealers 3rd April and good to go on 7th/8th. Question is...... Will I be allowed out of the house to pick it up???
Dealer is only about 5 miles away but, by then may need permission in triplicate from Boris, (and his Dad, his dog Dilyn, 3 doctors and the chief superintendent of the local police force) 😭😭😭😭
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

Bernard Bernardsson wrote: ↑Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:01 pm Dealer is only about 5 miles away but, by then may need permission in triplicate from Boris, (and his Dad, his dog Dilyn, 3 doctors and the chief superintendent of the local police force) 😭😭😭😭
I have the forms ready if you want them - down for get to do them in triplicate! Oh and the Queen has to sign them off as well but you cannot travel to see her and she does not do this internet thing. Good luck!

Seriously there will be no problem picking the car up unless you specifically have been advised on medical grounds to not leave the house but then the end of the days its your choice.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
Bernard Bernardsson

I'll forge the queen's signature, I've seen it on the Internet somewhere😎 It'll be reet, just not sure how to get 600 miles on it before towingπŸ€”πŸ€”
Suppose I'll have plenty of time to clean it thoπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚