Imminent, likely New Owner

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
CambsClive

Post by CambsClive »

Hi; I'm likely to order an R-Design T3 manual in silver with the convince pack, front park assist, rear camera and the tempra spare wheel etc. on Monday, I've been promised delivery by the end of March by utilising one of the dealers pre-order factory build slots.
Reluctantly, for pc/market reasons, I'm moving away from a 2L diesel which has powered my last 4 or 5 cars, the latest being a Tiguan.
I'm sure there'll be plenty of performance from the 163bhp. engine but although I only do about 8k/year a lot is on longer motorway trips cruising around 70 - 80. I'm not really interested in the T4 and would have waited for the hybrid if not for the c+10k.
Any thoughts on the T3 engine? I'm fairly light on my right foot but read some disturbing stories about fuel economy - I'd hope to average around 40+mpg.? (My Tig has averaged 50mpg over its 5 years with me)

I've been a bit disappointed at the additional cost of optional extras that come as standard on many of the alternatives. Ive been quoted a price of c4k less for a much better equipped Skoda Karoq - but at my age I'm inclined to let my heart overuse my head!
Any other thoughts, advice or inputs?

Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

I have a manual T3 and over the 7 months I have had it I have averaged 42.7 mpg. That's mixed driving conditions in comfort mode. On a motorway in eco mode I have seen 51mpg. I have nothing but praise for the car. You will not be disappointed.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
CambsClive

Post by CambsClive »

I've been brooding about this over the holidays and have run out of time, your feedback is really helpful - Thanks...
stu22

Post by stu22 »

We also moved from a 2017 Tiguan to a T3.
Our Tiguan was also very efficient averaging 48mpg over 2 years of mainly town driving! The T3 in the same conditions is returning around 35mpg but better on a run, circa 48mpg.
Footh

Post by Footh »

I'm very impressed with the T3 engine. Plenty powerful enough, smooth, and quiet. After 6 months and 7k I'm on 41mpg. Have also managed 50 on motorway, but also had a couple of months only doing short town journeys that were more like 35-36. 25 miles each way commuting on b roads gets me 42-43.
Beyond that..... absolutely love the car. Puts a huge smile on my face 😁
T3 R Design Pro (manual), Crystal White, spare wheel, android auto
Plumber64

Post by Plumber64 »

We ordered a D4 R Design Pro. On talking to a friend who already has a XC60 he told me that the XC40 diesels were going to be stopped being made in about 6 months time. Very annoyed that the salesman not once mentioned to us what was happening. Took delivery today of a T5 Design Pro AWD with polestar addition. Was one of Volvo,s own cars and had done just over 9,000 miles but saved myself 10k so pleased with that.
CambsClive

Post by CambsClive »

Thanks for everyones input - its been very helpful.
Prompted by some of the comments, I've looked elsewhere on the internet and found that Volvo are not launching any new models with diesel engines and have stopped development of them (diesel engines). Its also suggested that by 2025 they won't have any new cars without an electric drive component (i.e. mild hybrid or above). Now there's food for thought?
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I've added a few extras but I thought the XC40 came pretty well specced for the price in basic specification.

I came from a Yeti 2.0 diesel and after a succession of VW Group cars was leaning towards a 1.5 petrol Karoq if it hadn't been for the problems with that engine. For the spec I wanted it was about £4k. less than the Volvo but if I had gone for a 2.0 the difference would have been less.

The Karoq is pleasant enough to drive but the exterior design is bland and every time I see one I'm so glad I was forced to look elsewhere and decided on the XC40. It looks and feels more premium.

Volvo are not alone with regards to the future of diesel. VW Group are also stopping development in a few years time but will continue building them for many years for certain markets. Of course their decision is as much to do with PR as much as anything else!

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
FGC5074

Post by FGC5074 »

I have a T3 (163) auto. I have now done 4200 miles. My average mpg is only 35.5, and that is using Shell V-power whenever possible. Most of my mileage is on rural roads with occasional city traffic. But even on a motorway trip I only just get above 36 mpg, and I don't consider myself heavy-footed....
I knew the consumption wouldn't be great when I bought the car, but I have to say I am disappointed with what I am getting. Apart from that I am delighted with the car.
alanplum241276

Post by alanplum241276 »

Lol, my average on my T4 is 20.4 mpg. Only done 500 miles so far.
MY20 T4 R-Design Pro FWD in Crystal White. Intellisafe Pro, Xenium Pack, Apple CarPlay, Spare Wheel