Possible new owner.

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Plumber64

Post by Plumber64 »

Going to the Volvo dealer on Monday to possibly order XC40 Inscription D3. My wife has reservations about a diesel and looking on here most are going for T4 or T5 but with her job she does a lot of miles. Coming from a Merc A45 so big drop in performance but comfort will be better and will be easier for the wife to get in and out of. Any pros and cons about the D3 would be welcome.

Paulinyork

Post by Paulinyork »

I have a T4 and have never driven a D3 so you'd think I had nothing of use to say.. however I have always been somewhat of a frantic driver, and have had my T4 now for about a month.

This car has changed my driving, and not because the suspension is wallowy or anything as it isn't. It's actually quite composed.

The car just wafts effortlessly everywhere. The auto box changes seamlessly and I've found I just enjoy getting to the speed limit eventually rather than as fast as possible. The car is so relaxing it has transformed my driving style.

With that said, I'm sure D3 owners will give you more useful inputs.
T4 FWD R Design in Thunder Grey. Winter Pack, Reversing Camera.
Christ, Options are expensive!!
Plumber64

Post by Plumber64 »

I love my A45. Like you have been a frantic driver and owned some powerful cars but nowadays there are to many cameras and other drivers around to fully exploit the potential of the car. Will see what Monday brings. Thanks for your reply.
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

Maybe consider the T3. I am consistantly averaging 45mpg on mixed journeys.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
Plumber64

Post by Plumber64 »

The car is in the showroom with lots of extras and good price so don't have much choice. Thanks Skyrimmer.
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

Plumber64 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:55 pm The car is in the showroom with lots of extras and good price so don't have much choice. Thanks Skyrimmer.
One thing to make sure you try is the different drive modes, that make a massive difference in my car.

I hope the car you are looking at has the 360 camera - it is amazing and everyone that sees it wants the feature in their next car.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
NitramA

Post by NitramA »

I’ve got a D3 auto and can easily get 50mpg on a trip.
My view is that it’s got enough power for 95% of my driving.
The only time I miss more power is on a snap overtake on A roads, but then I think that’s as much due to the auto gearbox as anything as even T5 owners have complained about it being dim witted and taking ages to kick down.
On the motorway it will cruise as fast as your licence will allow. 100mph plus is just a push of the throttle away.
Noise suppression is excellent too.
I have a view that the bigger engine just make you arrive at a corner faster and when you get there you’ll have to whack on the brakes to make it round. This is no sports car and the height and weight will soon slow you down to its preferred pace, D3 or T5.
Just relax and the car is perfect at making rapid, controlled progress.

I do have a couple of concerns though. As well as the auto, the engine can be a bit coarse and noisy. It’s generally well suppressed and can’t be heard on fast A roads and motorways, but it is noticeable at slower speeds.
I use mine on long journeys and love it but I strongly advise a test drive in stop/start traffic. I find the vocal engine and gearbox combination can be tiring. In saying that it had a software update when it was serviced and I think it’s improved things. I’d certainly look at this on a test drive.

Perhaps the most worrying thing for me would be it being diesel. if I wanted to drive it in town, some big cities (Bristol for example) are looking at an outright ban. Regardless of whether it’s justified or not. Resale values might just be killed because of this.

Overall I find the D3 to be a great car for me. It’s generally quiet, comfortable and refined. Can’t think of another car at this price point I’d rather have.
Plumber64

Post by Plumber64 »

Thanks NitramA some good points raised there and has got me thinking.
Plumber64

Post by Plumber64 »

Well the deed is done. Have gone for the XC40 Design Pro D4AWD. Its got the solid black paint, Harman Kardon, power passenger seat, convenience pack. Would liked to have put more on it but would have taken me over 40K which meant paying the higher tax. Arriving end of March. Thinking of adding Polestar but on reading reports on here not sure about it.
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

Plumber64 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:45 pm Well the deed is done. Have gone for the XC40 Design Pro D4AWD. Its got the solid black paint, Harman Kardon, power passenger seat, convenience pack. Would liked to have put more on it but would have taken me over 40K which meant paying the higher tax. Arriving end of March. Thinking of adding Polestar but on reading reports on here not sure about it.
and now the long wait begins... 3 months is not bad but it will go so slowly :D

I could not try a polestar XC40 at the dealership and after reading on here I also went for the "try and see" option. I have to say dynamic mode is more than enough for me so I will not be bothering with the upgrade.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.