POOR HEAD LIGHTS

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
bwp

Post by bwp »

Taken delivery of my XC40 inscription with styling kit ,intelligent pro and tinted rear windows one week ago after small delivery delay .Very pleased with car but not happy with head lights .Have contacted dealer and awaiting reply on if it is possible to upgrade the lights .
Has anybody found the lights to be poor and if so what have you done about it .

OneOff

Post by OneOff »

I've been driving for over 40 years in many vehicles. While I'm not sold on the Volvo as a premium brand, I've had Citroen and Renault that have been better in the quality stakes, I can't fault the headlights. They are the best dipped beam/full beam I've ever had.
gt40

Post by gt40 »

bwp wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:27 pm Has anybody found the lights to be poor and if so what have you done about it .
I think it depends on what you are used to, my previous car had Xenon lights and they were quite a bit better than the Volvo's LED lights, but I have another car with LEDs and they are not as strong as the Volvo's. To me, LED lights are ok on full beam but not all that when dipped.

So, yeah, not great but passable.
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19
Chris-croft

Post by Chris-croft »

When I ordered my T5 First Edition, the brochure said it came with "Adaptive Shutter Technology" Headlights.
I've tried these head lights on an XC60, and they are superb.
When my T5 arrived it had no such headlights.
When I checked with the dealer, it turns out Volvo had changed the specs, and no XC40 where coming with them or even the option of them.
I think Volvo pulled them because the Xc40 sold that well off brochure, they saw a chance to increase their margin; also they could reserve them for future model year updates.
IMO the headlights are OK, bit a bit rubbish compared to what I thought I was buying.
Oh and no compensation from Volvo either.
T5 FE GREY OUTSIDE; BLACK INSIDE; 20" RIMS; Oct 19 DEL with P*
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Personally find the standatd LED lights pretty good even if the dip beam is a little short.
Fall far short of the LED ILS system I had on Mercedes though, they were simply the best lights I'd experienced on any car and an excellent upgrade option.
bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

I have an R-Design with the optional Active Bending Lights - These are the finest lights I have ever had on any vehicle in my 50 years of driving. I cannot say that lighting is the same on every car from Volvo as each country may have different specs etc. for lighting.
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

bdalameda wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:52 pm I have an R-Design with the optional Active Bending Lights - These are the finest lights I have ever had on any vehicle in my 50 years of driving. I cannot say that lighting is the same on every car from Volvo as each country may have different specs etc. for lighting.
100% agree - I was not sure they would be of any use but they are amazing.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Best headlights I’ve ever had on a car.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
BiddyR

Post by BiddyR »

Only had a week, have bending headlights. One of the best features of the car, more than happy with them.
T4 R Design Pro FWD
XC40T5Hybrid

Post by XC40T5Hybrid »

Hi, just traded my DS7 for XC40 T5 Recharge as my local DS Salon has closed down & wanted local dealer. Very happy with XC40...BUT...headlights are awful compared to LEDs on DS7!
Just got back from France, pouring rain at Caen in the dark looking for ferry...and it was if I had no lights on!!
I was a bit suspicious before we left, thinking they ain't very bright...but in rain & dark felt near on useless!!...
Mr Volvo you need to do better...Anybody with any solutions??
Cheers Andy