New T4 RDesign Auto Fwd fuel range

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Joerichmond1988

Post by Joerichmond1988 »

Hi all!
Just took delivery of our new XC40 RDesign fwd auto T4. Stumbled across this forum and you all seemed like a lovely bunch so thought I'd join my first even forum!

We absolutely love the car but I was a little shocked at the onboard computers saying we are getting around 20mog and that we will only get around 320 miles outta a tank of petrol. Weve been very gentle with the car as I was told to take it easy with it having less than 100 miles on! Weve never had a new car before so we are unsure as to if this should go up a little as it beds in etc.

Can any of you guys shed a little light?

Gray1969

Post by Gray1969 »

Hi Joe,
We pick up ours tomorrow, which is exactly the same as yours, and to be honest its the only part that is causing me concern, you do see lots of reports of people getting poor MPG, but I'm pretty confident 30mpg could be easily achieved over time.
There are plenty of threads on here about the subject, have a browse and enjoy your new car!
T4 Auto R design in Onyx black, 19" alloys, winter pack and convenience pack, front parking sensors.
OneOff

Post by OneOff »

I have a T4 R Design Auto but AWD rather than FWD. So I would expect mine to have a slightly lower MPG than yours. I've had it for a few weeks and have covered just over 1,000 miles.
Over that distance I've averaged 32mpg. Most of the journeys have been relatively small, less than 5 miles and I get about 25-27 MPG on them. What's brought the average up is a few journeys where I've done about 30-35 miles. On those longer mostly motorway journeys I've averaged 42 - 43 mpg.

Hope this helps. I expect to get more than 43mpg when the engine "loosens up" a little with more miles. And when I get fully familiar with the Auto box.

Majority of my driving so far as been in the default Comfort mode.

After you have got used to the car a bit reset the average Mpg setting by pressing, and holding for a few seconds, the button on the end of the left hand stalk. This will reset the counter and remove all the early mileage, consumption data, and hence the early mpg figures. If you are anything like me then my early driving with the car used a lot of fuel when I was becoming familiar with it!!

If you use the Volvo VOC on a smart phone you can interagate each individual journey to see each separate mpg. Now that's scary. Short run to the local shop with a cold engine 11mpg !!!
MattsXC40T4R-Design

Post by MattsXC40T4R-Design »

Had ours for just over a year, done 14000 miles, still only getting just shy of 30mpg, but then again I do enjoy the rip snort fun that you get from the awd acceleration 🥳🥳🥳 that might have something to do with it, I get about 320 miles from £50 of petrol 👍👍👍 very happy
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

Joerichmond1988 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:46 pm Weve been very gentle with the car as I was told to take it easy with it having less than 100 miles on! Weve never had a new car before so we are unsure as to if this should go up a little as it beds in etc.
How many miles did your car have on it as its new? Should be sub 10-20 miles. I am also taking it easy for the first few 1,000 of miles.

When I picked my car up it was sitting at 1.7mpg (yes 1 point 7) and with over a quarter of the tank of fuel instantly reported less than 50 miles left in fuel.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
Db55

Post by Db55 »

Had my T5 for over a year now , do mainly short journeys 5-20 miles. During the winter months it’s averaging about 28 mpg , summer about 32-33. On the runs of more than say 50 miles it returns around 36 mpg . Filled the tank the other day when the low fuel warning lit up (50 miles left )it took 41.02 litres to fill up to cut off point. I use 99 Ron fuel, normally Tesco momentum .
Last edited by Db55 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T5 FE, osmium grey
PC40

Post by PC40 »

Had my T5 for 20 months now done nearly 19k and do similar journey lengths to Db55 above.
I find it’s averaging about the same. Currently showing 31.8 mpg on the display but expecting this to drop due to the cold weather. Longer runs out of town certainly give at least 36 mpg. Indeed a 350 mile run to Cornwall with 4 adults and luggage in the car gave over 40 mpg.
The fuel light comes on at 50/60 miles left but works on real time mpg. The range can soon improve out of traffic or car parks. I never seem to be able to get more than 46 litres in even when on the odd occasion, the car has been down to 1 fuel gauge segment and 30 miles range showing.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
Deleted User 1945

Post by Deleted User 1945 »

My XC40 T4 AWD has averaged 35.1mpg over 4,000 miles. Since I have owned it I have only used premium petrol. This last weekend on a run up to Scotland I had no choice but to fill up mid journey on standard fuel - I had 20miles range left and had just driven 140 miles on the motorway. Upon filling the car up the range indicated 480miles, which is more than I usually get around 440 but is I guess consistent with the better mpg I was getting due to just motorway driving. However within 30 seconds the range dropped to 390miles! I then noticed that on the remainder of the journey I was getting between 4-5mpg lower on the motorway than before....I’ve had enough fuel to do the regular commute and it’s almost 20% worse fuel consumption.

I have not noticed any performance difference in the XC40 running on the standard fuel, but if this example is representative (it’s only 1 tank of fuel) then the cost of the more expensive premium RON99 is totally worth it. Could explain some of the differences.
OneOff

Post by OneOff »

As I mentioned earlier in the thread I've done just over 1,000 miles and average over that distance is 32mpg. Most of the journeys are small (5 miles or so) and I get about 25-27 MPG on them. What's brought the average up is a few journeys where I've done about 30-35 miles. On those longer mostly motorway journeys I've averaged 42 - 43 mpg.

All the 1,000 miles have been with standard RON95 fuel. The car is XC40 T4 AWD R Design, majority of the miles in default Comfort mode.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Joe - In the few months we have owned the car and over 3k. miles I haven't reset the total average which is 33mpg and on a run get over 40mph which I think is perfectly fine for a 2.0 turbo petrol engine and a car of the weight and size that is the XC40.

I take it that you looked at the consumption when only a short distance into a journey and a still cold engine? It will be bad then.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.