New Devon XC40 Owner

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

The XC40 we ordered in late July arrived a week ago. It has a lot to live up to, replacing a brilliant Skoda Yeti 4x4 that has given 7 years of perfect service. The first week's impressions are good - except that I can't get my wife out of it! In theory it is her car and it seems she's already fallen in love with it.

The car is a T5 Inscription Pro with Xenium and Intellisafe Pro packs, in Glacier Silver. Unfortunately Volvo limit the colours on this model - nothing bright at all, and even the silver is nothing like as bright as my Mercedes. I ordered a dog guard (official Volvo one) which I fitted yesterday - a nicely engineered piece of kit.

Driving at night I soon realised that the LED adaptive headlights are much better than the similar ones on my other car; both are bright and detect headlights and tail lights when they appear in front, but the Volvo system dips the main beam instantly and sharply (so an oncoming driver can see that you've reacted) but the Mercedes system has a much more gradual dip and also decides which part of the main beam needs to be dipped depending on what it has detected. In that car I often get flashed by oncoming drivers because they think I haven't dipped so I tend not to use the adaptive function, but Volvo have got it right.

Now I just need to get used to my wife saying things like "I'm cold" and the car responding by saying it has reset the temperature and it hopes she is more comfortable! A bit like having Alexa in the car.
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC

Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

Welcome, glad you are enjoying your XC40. Its a fantastic car to drive and Devon is a beautiful county to drive it in. We holiday near Sidmouth every year.
If you have not already done so get a screen protector for the centre screen. It reduces fingerprints and refections as well as protecting against scratches. There are also some inexpensive mud flaps that fit perfectly on Amazon and these give good protection from mud and stone chips.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen both mentioned in adverts but getting and fitting the dog guard was first priority. The car is already quite dirty round the rear (1 week old, and only 2-3 hundred miles) so mud flaps may become a priority.
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Another coming from a Yeti here. Four years in my case and loved it. Would probably have kept it a little longer but I've recently retired and a petrol made more sense. Put off any more VW Group cars by the 1.5 TSI engine debacle and restricted choice with other engines/specifications - they did me a favour though! The XC40 is a great car and obviously a step up but I do find myself still noticing Yetis when I'm out and about.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Hillwalker

Post by Hillwalker »

It must be a thing about Yeti owners liking XC40's another Yeti owner here about to order a T4 Inscription, although the Yeti's given 6 years excellent service.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Welcome. If it hadn't been for the XC40 then I would have really struggled to find something else that appealed and had some individuality.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.