A front wheel drive R Design T4...

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
gt40

Post by gt40 »

Is what I've just ordered, to be delivered late Sept.

Thought long and hard about whether to go AWD or FWD, and in the end decided I didn't need drive to all four wheels as I live in Hertfordshire, not Cumbria or Scotland. And when I did live in Scotland I only ever drove FWD cars. Still, I'll be happier when I can get a set of Crossclimates on.

Other extras: Intellisafe Pro, Winter Pack, Convenience Pack plus a few bits. First Volvo, makes me feel old :?

I'll be interested to hear if anyone has anything to say on the comparison between the Volkswagen Group's ACC and Active Lane Assist vs the Volvo tech.

edit - Hello everyone :)
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

That's what I've ordered as well. Don't want or need AWD and I don't tow a caravan.

That was one of the things that attracted me towards the XC40 (came from a line of VWG cars), being able to have a 2.0 petrol with only FWD.

My first Volvo as well. My wife says I'm turning into my long departed dad, his last two cars were Volvos!

What colour are you getting?

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

gt40 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:23 pm I'll be interested to hear if anyone has anything to say on the comparison between the Volkswagen Group's ACC and Active Lane Assist vs the Volvo tech.
To keep the answer simple, I'll just refer to Pilot Assist, which is the two systems combined.

The Volvo system is generally far superior as it recognises 'lines' (including side of road) more reliably, more of the time, and in more adverse conditions. It also has real traffic jam capability in that self steering works from 0mph. Acceleration towards a vehicle when you indicate, ready to overtake (when your cruise set speed is significantly higher) works so perfectly it's breathtaking - we just need auto lane change now.

HOWEVER, many don't like the ever so slight left of centre positioning of the Volvo system. It's really not that bad but it does take some getting used to as most of us would ordinarily move to the right of our lane when overtaking large vehicles. The VW system absolutely trumps Volvo here as it has an adaptive system that you can quickly train.

The good news is that Volvo are constantly improving their system - way more than V.A.G. do.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
gt40

Post by gt40 »

ChrisLF wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:05 pm
What colour are you getting?
Well, Bursting Blue was my choice (after I'd seen the red in the flesh and decided it was just a bit too... orange) but I was overruled by those in the house that don't like their cars "too flashy" (their words not mine) so Thunder Grey it is. If that's all I have to compromise on, I'm happy with that.
T4 R Design FWD in Thunder Grey, with Intellisafe Pro, Winter & Convenience packs plus a few bits & pieces - arrived Sept '19
Deleted User 1945

Post by Deleted User 1945 »

Silver Moose wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:47 pm
gt40 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:23 pm I'll be interested to hear if anyone has anything to say on the comparison between the Volkswagen Group's ACC and Active Lane Assist vs the Volvo tech.
To keep the answer simple, I'll just refer to Pilot Assist, which is the two systems combined.

The Volvo system is generally far superior as it recognises 'lines' (including side of road) more reliably, more of the time, and in more adverse conditions. It also has real traffic jam capability in that self steering works from 0mph. Acceleration towards a vehicle when you indicate, ready to overtake (when your cruise set speed is significantly higher) works so perfectly it's breathtaking - we just need auto lane change now.

HOWEVER, many don't like the ever so slight left of centre positioning of the Volvo system. It's really not that bad but it does take some getting used to as most of us would ordinarily move to the right of our lane when overtaking large vehicles. The VW system absolutely trumps Volvo here as it has an adaptive system that you can quickly train.

The good news is that Volvo are constantly improving their system - way more than V.A.G. do.
I agree with most of this the VW system is much less useful, it doesn’t work in rain or snow and doesn’t work if there is a speed difference of 25mph between you and the vehicle in front, seriously the list of exclusions in the VW manual is huge. The city emergency breaking also only works ie stops the car up to 15 mph vs Volvos 41 mph. It more a case of we have that feature but it’s not as comprehensive as in the Volvo. Pilot assist also uses the GPS to do preemptive breaking on sharpe bends, the Vw system doesn’t break unless there is a car to follow, oh yes it needs a car to follow to work properly also. So in short the Volvo system is much better!
gt40

Post by gt40 »

Silver Moose wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:47 pm

Many thanks, sounds like it's a partial upgrade. I tend to use the ACC fairly frequently; it's great for busy & clear motorways alike and a real asset for crawling in London traffic and the M25 at its worst. The Lane Assist I only use on long motorway trips as I'm not that keen on the faint tugging that's felt on the wheel, so I'll be interested on how the Volvo works for me. That it works below 40mph will be a novelty.

I have another car with lane keeping monitoring but that just gives you a faint rumble as you cross the line, nothing active at all so it just becomes an annoyance rather than any help.

One day the perfect system will appear.
gt40

Post by gt40 »

AnotherXC40 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:29 pm
I agree with most of this the VW system is much less useful, it doesn’t work in rain or snow and doesn’t work if there is a speed difference of 25mph between you and the vehicle in front, seriously the list of exclusions in the VW manual is huge. The city emergency breaking also only works ie stops the car up to 15 mph vs Volvos 41 mph. It more a case of we have that feature but it’s not as comprehensive as in the Volvo. Pilot assist also uses the GPS to do preemptive breaking on sharpe bends, the Vw system doesn’t break unless there is a car to follow, oh yes it needs a car to follow to work properly also. So in short the Volvo system is much better!
It's sounding more & more likeable, although I've never noticed rain being an issue, snow yes. Also, for some reason, it gets a bit confused when passing a lorry on the motorway and does a little "brake? yes/no" thing. Just a little irritation though.
Deleted User 1945

Post by Deleted User 1945 »

gt40 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:35 pm [quote=AnotherXC40 post_id=11792 time=1560796168 user_id=1945

It's sounding more & more likeable, although I've never noticed rain being an issue, snow yes. Also, for some reason, it gets a bit confused when passing a lorry on the motorway and does a little "brake? yes/no" thing. Just a little irritation though.
Do you mean the Volvo system? Pilot assist 2 which I have in the V90 (believe the new system is v3) checks the gap between the lorry and the car in front so that you don’t sit in the lorry blind spot, you might notice that as a breaking/ slowing down if the gap isn’t there to clear the lorry in the next lane...this only works at speeds above 40mph.
gt40

Post by gt40 »

AnotherXC40 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:02 pm
Do you mean the Volvo system? Pilot assist 2 which I have in the V90 (believe the new system is v3) checks the gap between the lorry and the car in front so that you don’t sit in the lorry blind spot, you might notice that as a breaking/ slowing down if the gap isn’t there to clear the lorry in the next lane...this only works at speeds above 40mph.
No, I was talking about the VW system. I have no experience of the Volvo system yet. Sorry for the confusion.