New Volvo (XC40) user. T4 or T5

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
jdeepsea

Post by jdeepsea »

Hi from Scotland,

I will order my first Volvo tomorrow, a beautiful XC40 R-design. However, last minute thoughts about its engine. Is it worth to upgrade from T4 to T5? I know it's been asked before, but maybe new inputs available now.
In any case, 3 months to wait until I receive it. :?
XC40 R-Design T5 AWD Thunder Grey ¦¦ Active Four-C Chassis; Convenience; Intellisafe Pro; Camera 360; Retractable Tow Bar; Electric Seats; Wireless charging; Phone integration and Spare Wheel.

CelticXC40

Post by CelticXC40 »

I have T4 Inscription and I am finding it's fine. Now done about 2000 miles and I think it's perfectly adequate for the UK roads and speed limits. Had no problems with acceleration(hard) when tried/needed. Not too economical the best I have managed is 34mpg.
XC40 Inscription pro - T4 - Auto AWD - Pine Grey - Blonde Leather - 19" wheels - Intellisafe pro Pack, Tinted windows, Keyless drive, wireless charging, Xenium pack, Towbar, Spare wheel. Delivered 22nd January 2019.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I have a T4 auto. I think it has got loads of power..not sure what benefit from a T5..other than the opportunity to take even more frequent stops at petrol stations :D :D
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

If it was my only car then I may have been tempted by the T5 but I have another car that does sporty better so for me the middle of the petrol range T4 has plenty of power and does want I want from an SUV.

Depends to some extent on the type of driving that you do and whether you want or need the additional performance of the T5 and only you can decide on that.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
jdeepsea

Post by jdeepsea »

Life is full of hard choices :) Thanks for your comments.
XC40 R-Design T5 AWD Thunder Grey ¦¦ Active Four-C Chassis; Convenience; Intellisafe Pro; Camera 360; Retractable Tow Bar; Electric Seats; Wireless charging; Phone integration and Spare Wheel.
Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

My average with mixed driving is 33.4mpg with my T5 so if there is so little difference in economy I would go for the T5 every time, nice to have the power when needed, plus the engine is not working quite as hard.
T5 First edition Crystal White
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

I have T4 & it's more than capable of overwhelming the chassis.

T5 is for those who don't drive too good :lol: :lol: :lol:

On the other hand, when you consider the price of many of the options, T5 is a bargain.........plus you get a good part of it back on trade-in, unlike Polestar tuning. I only went for T4 because of the luxury VED.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
jdeepsea

Post by jdeepsea »

I may not be a good driver ;) because I have bought the T5 Thunder Grey. I can't wait to receive it in September.
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

Good choice. I've yet to meet someone complaining that their car needed less power!

I'm happy with my T4 but it is only used for shorter journeys with little need for overtaking.
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Sounds like a fantastic spec. To be honest, I wish I'd gone all out & added everything - I was tight & kept in under £40k.

Be interesting to hear how you find the four-C as reports are scant so far.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera