Hi from Warwick

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Re-reading some of the reviews I think it was also about the auto being a bit slow to change down, once underway, if required.

But again, not a problem on the test drive, and there is always the paddles or manual mode if the kickdown doesn't do the trick.

I had a DSG in a Passat and that was a great gearbox once the mechatronic was replaced. But that is the problem, too many are unreliable and that along with issues around the 1.5 petrol and wanting a petrol auto caused me to look outside of VW Group for our Yeti replacement.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Just had an email from the dealer to say that the car should be with them on 2nd July. As we officially ordered on 7th May I'm well chuffed with that.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Not long now. Had another email to say car would be with the dealer later this week and have arranged to collect next Thursday or Friday.

Chris

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Picked the car up this morning. Glad I changed to the Bursting Blue as it looks great. Did about 30 miles across country from the dealers to home and got 35 mpg which isn't bad. Nice smooth relaxing drive which is just what I wanted.

Managed to do a few things in the Sensus screen but going to have to spend some time with it to get to grips with it properly. Bit of a creak from I think the surround to the Sensus screen which I think is temperature related as disappeared later when the air con was turned off.

Other than that first impressions are very good and I love the looks of it so think I'm going to like this car a lot.

Chris

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

What I must do today is check the tyre pressures. Whilst I expected a firmish ride from the sports suspension (test drive was in an Inscription with bigger wheels which dealer said was similar ride) it was a little firmer than expected. No doubt the technician at PDI has set them at their highest pressure.

The main reason for not going for the Pro was the bigger wheels. These are already an inch bigger than the Yetis though the side walls are deeper which is good. I do like the design of the wheels on the R-Design and the fact that they have used the same design on both versions is good. If they had gone for nicer looking ones on the Pro I could have been tempted but then disappointed with the ride.

Chris

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

As I thought the pressures were at the top end I.e. 38 psi. Dropped them to 33 and the ride is pretty much spot on now.

Getting used to Sensus now. As others have said, maybe a couple of things would have been better on buttons, which for me would be the stop/start and parking sensors/rear camera.

Chris

ShiftySixSpeed

Post by ShiftySixSpeed »

Hiya Chris! As you know I'm only down the road in Shrops! Hope you're enjoying your Volvo! :)
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I certainly am! Gave it its second wash today after nine days of ownership. Washing a new car is always good to give it a close once over and to pick up on details that are usually missed when test driving and first picking up the car. As we and others have said the Bursting Blue looks great and is further enhanced on the R Design by the gloss black roof, grille, mirrors and other trim. I particularly like it because my TT is an Amplified Black Edition and has some of the same black bits. Blokes eh!

It has some tech that I'm not bothered about e.g. collision avoidance, keeping in lane etc. but I'm liking the road sign recognition and especially the speed limits and the red line indicated on the speedo for the current speed limit. Have got used to Sensus now.

I'm also quite tall at 6' 1" and do find that the mirror and the camera/sensor housing in front of it does block out some of the view as it is pretty substantial, especially when looking towards the left. I tend to notice it more when first getting in but once underway don't find it too much of a problem unlike when I used to drive my wife's Mini where the mirror really blocked my view going around left-hand bends as I my head was fairly high up and the screen not very deep.

That is my only criticism though and am so glad I bought the car. The ride with 18" wheels is spot on for me, the seats comfortable, the auto smooth, sufficient power, it is easy to drive and pretty quiet with some tyre noise but not intrusive. Yep, I'm really liking and enjoying this car.

Chris

Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

Nice to hear such positivity. I am the same height as you and agree the camera housing takes some getting used to. But the car is a technical marvel which I am really enjoying.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Collision avoidance activated today when passing a line of parked cars which I wasn't happy about!

Will be changing the setting to Late. This is the tech that I don't like!