New car ordered

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

What's the score with the parking brake? When I had a test drive it released automatically as I would expect?
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.

Deleted User 1894

Post by Deleted User 1894 »

Yeah, that was me getting the buttons confused. It does release automatically.
Deleted User 1894

senwar wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:25 pm I very much doubt you will stick with this car.....
I did think about responding to this post sooner, but decided that continuing to be so negative so early into ownership wouldn't be productive. My response would have been something along the lines of "I'd hope to keep it two years, or at least until the new Golf comes out".

Five weeks in, I don't think I can even manage that. I just cannot get on with this car. I do not find it relaxing or pleasurable to drive. I feel very tense behind the wheel, and usually get out feeling stressed or plain unhappy.

My main issue remains the gearbox. I continue to find it slow to respond and dimwitted in lower gears. I'm no mechanical engineer, but it's like the clutch isn't disengaging soon enough, or is disengaging too slowly, causing the engine to rev pointlessly. This is particularly noticeable at roundabouts, of which there are many here in sunny Shropshire, and is made worse if you try and make a quick getaway. I really don't think it likes to be rushed.

I had an email from my salesperson about a week ago, asking me how things were. I was quite honest and laid out my issues with the gearbox. She forwarded my email to the service department and the car is booked in for them to look at in a couple of weeks. I rather suspect they'll find nothing wrong with it. I have asked them if I could drive one without Polestar to rule that out as the root cause of the gearbox weirdness.

After yet another stressful drive on Friday morning, I decided to email the salesperson again, asking if she would be in on the day the car is booked in and explaining that I was thinking of cutting my losses. I realise I'd take a huge financial hit by getting rid of the car so soon, but I don't deal well with negativity in my life (be it at home, work or whatever), so if there's a contest between my wallet and my mental health, my mental wellbeing wins out every time.

Apologies all for the doom and gloom. I realise that most people on here are pleased with their XC40, so to read my posts probably isn't a pleasant experience.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

That's a real shame but you've got to do what's best for you. I can understand to some extent what you are saying about the gearbox holding onto revs sometimes but at least with the petrol engine the sound is more acceptable. I tried a previous Passat DSG diesel in Sport mode once and never again!

Two and a bit weeks in and I'm very happy with how the car drives and was prepared for a torque converter auto after mostly manuals, a DSG and a Multitronic (Audi CVT). The more lazy changes don't bother me in a car of this type and most driving is leisurely and it will get up and go when called for. Doubt I will ever use Dynamic as that may annoy me and I've got the paddles anyway which I use now and then.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
johnd

Post by johnd »

Someone with more experience might correct me, but I thought that Polestar was simply not active in Comfort mode, so any issue in that mode is not Polestar-related.
senwar

Post by senwar »

Septercius wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:02 pm
senwar wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:25 pm I very much doubt you will stick with this car.....
I did think about responding to this post sooner, but decided that continuing to be so negative so early into ownership wouldn't be productive. My response would have been something along the lines of "I'd hope to keep it two years, or at least until the new Golf comes out".

Five weeks in, I don't think I can even manage that. I just cannot get on with this car. I do not find it relaxing or pleasurable to drive. I feel very tense behind the wheel, and usually get out feeling stressed or plain unhappy.

My main issue remains the gearbox. I continue to find it slow to respond and dimwitted in lower gears. I'm no mechanical engineer, but it's like the clutch isn't disengaging soon enough, or is disengaging too slowly, causing the engine to rev pointlessly. This is particularly noticeable at roundabouts, of which there are many here in sunny Shropshire, and is made worse if you try and make a quick getaway. I really don't think it likes to be rushed.

I had an email from my salesperson about a week ago, asking me how things were. I was quite honest and laid out my issues with the gearbox. She forwarded my email to the service department and the car is booked in for them to look at in a couple of weeks. I rather suspect they'll find nothing wrong with it. I have asked them if I could drive one without Polestar to rule that out as the root cause of the gearbox weirdness.

After yet another stressful drive on Friday morning, I decided to email the salesperson again, asking if she would be in on the day the car is booked in and explaining that I was thinking of cutting my losses. I realise I'd take a huge financial hit by getting rid of the car so soon, but I don't deal well with negativity in my life (be it at home, work or whatever), so if there's a contest between my wallet and my mental health, my mental wellbeing wins out every time.

Apologies all for the doom and gloom. I realise that most people on here are pleased with their XC40, so to read my posts probably isn't a pleasant experience.
Genuinely sorry to hear that. I've been in a similar position myself before (Golf GTE - hated it). It's not nice to be there. I also had a similar experience with an A5 convertible a few years back which I sold back after 6 months.

Good luck in what you end up doing.
XC40 FE | D4 | Osmium Grey |19" wheels
Deleted User 1894

Update time: I went to the dealership today and had a drive around with a technician (who was very nice, and even put plastic sheet over the seat before he got in). He had a good listen, but didn't think there was anything amiss with the gearbox. I did point out a few occasions when I thought it was revving too high or the car was lurching, but that just seems to be the way they are.

After that, I had a discussion with the salesperson from whom I originally bought the car. She went away and talked to the head honcho, and they came back with a valuation for my car. I wasn't expecting this part to be very pleasant, and lo, so it proved to be (a loss of low five figures). They said they'd be interested in buying my car, and gave me a further incentive to get the deed done this month.

Later, I test drove a BMW 3-series 320d M-Sport (very nice, particularly inside, and very easy to drive) and then a Mini Cooper S (fun, and full of character, though not hugely practical). Two very different cars. I like them both in different ways, and I have extended test drives provisionally booked for next week, after which time I'd want to make a decision. I can survive for a few weeks without a car and make do with public transport.

It's a shame that the XC40 hasn't worked out, but it's just one of those things.
DarrenF

Post by DarrenF »

(a loss of low five figures)

You need to go back a re-negotiate that price, I was looking at nearly new XC40's before putting my order in and they really do hold their value well.

Yours it fully loaded and only a few months old so it really should not be that great a drop in value.
XC40 T5 R-Design Pro in Bursting Blue with Convenience, Intellisafe Pro, Winter Plus and Xenium Packs and a few other bits. Ordered July'19 picked up end of Nov'19.
Deleted User 1894

One more post to finish off. The XC40 went back to the dealer on Tuesday, and the dealer had transferred the money across the following day.

I didn't go anywhere with the BMW 3-series, as BMW only offer the M-Sport with leather seats and wouldn't do a custom order with alcantara/fake leather like you can get in places like Germany. The Mini fell by the wayside due to comfort and practicality.

So, now I'm driving a (drum roll) 2019 Golf GTD. One of my local dealers had a two month old demonstrator with around 4000 miles on the clock, so I went for a test drive and after a minute decided I wanted the car. So I bought it, and collected it after dropping the Volvo off on Tuesday. I'm much happier with it, though it does need a clean.

I have a surplus boot liner and set of mats that I'll be selling on this forum - hopefully they'll find a home.

This has been a very helpful forum to be a part of, and there's plenty of good advice here. Good luck to all of you with your XC40s.

Incidentally, if anyone's after a low-mileage XC40 with all the trimmings, the dealer in question is in Shrewsbury, Shropshire. The car wasn't on the website when I looked briefly yesterday, but I assume it'll show up soon.
Avbev

Post by Avbev »

Is your boot liner still for sale please?