introduction from the land of OZ

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
grime

Post by grime »

G'day,

We have a new XC40 T4 delivered in early December, our first Volvo. So far, so good however .....

I am hoping that someone can offer some advice on this unusual problem which is occurring with our vehicle. The dealer service department tell us that they have not seen nor heard of this previously.

In the first few days of ownership our vehicle status screen displayed an alert message after performing initial checks at startup. The message displayed was "unknown car part found, service required"! This message continued to display whenever the vehicle was used until reset by the service department later in the day (they also reloaded the CAN software hoping that was the fix).

Just a little over a month now and the message has returned, it occurred when I had stopped to refuel with the message noted when we drove away.

The service department has now had the vehicle for two days and are waiting for technical advice from the factory.

I don't pretend to be any sort of an expert however I am thinking that there will be an initialization sequence when the vehicle is started, some master processor must run through a series of checks establishing communication with and checking the various processor modules and transducers or actuators scattered throughout the vehicle.

It seems to me that one of these devices is not responding under some circumstance and thus 'setting' this fault code?

Is this a previously experienced problem? Does anybody have a suggestion or solution?

regards from sunny Melbourne,

grime

CelticXC40

Post by CelticXC40 »

Mine has a start up display in the driver display between the speedo and tacho. A list appears as the checks are done with a little green dot. Does yours do that and if so are they all showing a green dot?
XC40 Inscription pro - T4 - Auto AWD - Pine Grey - Blonde Leather - 19" wheels - Intellisafe pro Pack, Tinted windows, Keyless drive, wireless charging, Xenium pack, Towbar, Spare wheel. Delivered 22nd January 2019.
grime

Post by grime »

G'day and thanks for your response .....

Yes, I presume that all XC40 models are the same. The engine starts and the list of vehicle functions appears however it is completed and replaced quite quickly by an image of the vehicle showing doors check, seat belts check, etc, etc.

You have made a good point however we have not noticed whether that initial functions check shows anything NOK, possibly I am too slow (I am usually releasing the handbrake and selecting fwd gear at that stage).

The status message I refer to appears soon after the vehicle image clears as we are starting to move off and well after those initial checks have been completed and cleared.

regards, grime
grime

Post by grime »

An update about this "unknown part found" problem with our XC40 T4 delivered in early December 2018 .....

This alert has been displaying continuously since my last post. At that time I mentioned that the dealer service department was waiting for factory advice before doing any component swaps, etc. I now learn that they are actually waiting for advice from a factory team in CHINA! Something to do with various countries / time zones sharing the workload I guess.

So, last week we received a request for us to return the vehicle to them and now after four days with the service department nothing has been achieved apart from whatever analysis the Volvo Aust team and this 'factory' team requested. We have been told that we now wait for the factory to analyse the data and respond with a request for the dealer to do whatever they suggest. We did have a loan vehicle so that did ease the inconvenience however I am not looking forward to making more trips to the dealer for this problem.

I have noticed that the main centre display screen (not the driver's display with speedo and tacho) has just simply changed to another display without initiation on a few occasions. I have mentioned this to the service department and gave them my thought that it may be related to some sort of electrical switching interference (I did think that on one occasion the screen had changed as I depressed the brake pedal - the brake pedal switch causing interference perhaps?).

We are now waiting for the dealer service department to demand that this problem be quickly resolved and I hope that they escalate the problem so that we are given priority!!