New XC40, not quite yet !

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Notsure

Post by Notsure »

squint wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:59 pm First impressions, very nice after having driven an my S60 for 17 years. Only initial gripe is the road noise, which I guess is because of the largish tyres but I’m sure I will get use to it !
I checked my tyre pressures a few days after handover - were 44.5psi - should be 33psi - might be worth checking. (If you do alter pressures the TPMS needs to be reset).
[/quote]

Ordered a digital pressure gauge, received it yesterday.
Had 3 tyres inflated to 46 psi and one at 48 !! :shock: :o
Let air out down to 38 (eco) and definitely not so much road noise, so thanks for that squint. I may even try them down at 33 (comfort) to see if that improves it again
T4 R Design, Auto, Crystal White, Convenience Pack, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Front Park Assist, Smartphone Integration, Tempa spare wheel and jack.

squint

Post by squint »

Notsure wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:15 pm
squint wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:59 pm First impressions, very nice after having driven an my S60 for 17 years. Only initial gripe is the road noise, which I guess is because of the largish tyres but I’m sure I will get use to it !
I checked my tyre pressures a few days after handover - were 44.5psi - should be 33psi - might be worth checking. (If you do alter pressures the TPMS needs to be reset).
Ordered a digital pressure gauge, received it yesterday.
Had 3 tyres inflated to 46 psi and one at 48 !! :shock: :o
Let air out down to 38 (eco) and definitely not so much road noise, so thanks for that squint. I may even try them down at 33 (comfort) to see if that improves it again
[/quote]

I asked my dealership for an explanation - I was told salesman should have discussed driving preference with me - or if I had a tow bar fitted then pressures should be increased - neither applied. Actually, when I discovered my pressures, I wondered if my gauge was faulty, so I called Volvo assist who came out and confirmed mine was correct. Technician told me pressures are over inflated at factory for transport reasons and should be reduced at PDI. I asked dealership why this was not done at PDI - can't remember exact response but I was unimpressed.To make matters even more worse - my service booklet did not have it's PDI section stamped - I was assured had been done and book would be stamped next time I was in. They also said to me they had the sheets - so I asked them to email them - after 2 days no email so I chased it and they sent BLANK UNCOMPLETED checklist - I asked why and was told there had been a mix up - then told delay was because they had to get files out - but I told them they had told me they had them and would email me.
I then realise my service booklet PDI section was dated 11/3/2020 - 4 days after I had collected the car!!!!! - and the car wasn't even in the garage 11/3/2020!!
I even have an email from them telling me it should have been 38 - I told them that is only in eco mode - and as default mode every journey is comfort ( which I have never understood) surely they should be 33.

Finally, Notsure - on the tyres fitted on my car maximum pressure stamped on the tyres is 51 - I regularly check my tyres and I am sure that the hotter it is outside the pressure raises - I also do a lot of motorway driving - I am sure that increases pressure more - also I am sure tyre pressures should be checked when cold.
Regretfully rejected R Design, Glacier Silver, T4 Auto FWD Convenience Pack, Front Park Assist,Power Glass Tilt & Slide,Smartphone Integration,Winter Pack, Mudflaps
Metroman

Post by Metroman »

I've now been given a date in mid-September for delivery due to the factory shut down in July. However I have found a brand new MY20 in the same colour, same spec that I've ordered very similar price , only difference is that it's an auto and mine as ordered is manual.I'm really torn between waiting for mine to (eventually ) appear or cut my losses and go with the auto(which I have no experience of driving or owning) obviously after driving an auto!

Any opinions or advice welcome.
XC40 D3 Inscription Pro Auto in Denim Blue with Convenience, Xenium and Intellisafe pro packs plus smartphone integration , tinted rear windows and spare wheel.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Can thoroughly recommend the auto box.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Azza_86

Post by Azza_86 »

I can also highly recommend the auto box. It makes driving just so effortless and relaxing.
T3 R-Design Pro auto in black stone.
Intellisafe surround
Xenium pack
Ordered on 24th of May 19 was expected on 16th of September now expected on the 1st of November!
Collected on 25th October. :D
Deleted User 2663

Post by Deleted User 2663 »

+1 for the auto gearbox. Took me a while to get to grips with it after many years a manual driver, but when next I change cars I'll go for auto.

A particular problem I had is that using a manual is that as best practice I always changed down before I came to a bend, round the bend in a lower gear, and changed up on leaving the bend. The auto box has no idea you're approaching a bend, how could it, so for a while I sailed around the bends in a far too high a gear. On doing a bit of investigation the technique is to approach the slower than I'd been used to, the revs fall, the auto box drops a gear in response and you go around the bend (!) in a lower gear, as per my usual manual experience.

My R Design also has gear paddles on the steering wheel, so if I'm caught unawares I can always drop gears using those. Without using the paddles engenders a more peaceful, laid back way of driving, which requires lots of forward thinking which I like. Without that forward thinking you can't just react and clutch down and drop a gear (R Design paddles aside).

It did take some getting used to though, for the first short while I went around rural bends at a much higher auto gear than my previous manual use felt safe at.
Metroman

Post by Metroman »

Thanks for all your replies, interesting to hear the different behaviour of the auto vs manual. Going to test drive auto on Saturday so we'll see.
XC40 D3 Inscription Pro Auto in Denim Blue with Convenience, Xenium and Intellisafe pro packs plus smartphone integration , tinted rear windows and spare wheel.
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

The V60 I had before my XC40 was my first auto. I'd never go back to manual now!
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I have a manual car as well but in a car like the XC40 an auto is great and makes driving so relaxing. Glad I've got the R- Design with paddles though.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Bootcamper

Post by Bootcamper »

Another vote for the auto. My XC40 is my first auto since I started driving in 1980 and I cannot see me going back to manual.