Slow home charging.

For discussions on the Volvo XC40 Recharge Pure Electric
nick.turton@me.com

Post by nick.turton@me.com »

I have an XC40 Recharge and a 7KW home charger set to charge at 32amps. The charge setting in the car is also set to 32amps, despite this the car will only charge at a max of 16amps. My son has a Polestar 2 (the same basic battery and drive train) and it will charge at 32amps on my home charger. Any ideas why my XC40 won’t charge at the max rate?

lovelyvolvo

Post by lovelyvolvo »

The low rate of charge is one of the more disappointing features of the XC40 PHEV. The Type 2 connector will accept up to 22kW, but the system in the car is designed to a maximum of 3.7kW (about 16amps). Maybe it improves the battery life??
qrt31

Post by qrt31 »

nick.turton@me.com wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:12 pm I have an XC40 Recharge and a 7KW home charger set to charge at 32amps. The charge setting in the car is also set to 32amps, despite this the car will only charge at a max of 16amps. My son has a Polestar 2 (the same basic battery and drive train) and it will charge at 32amps on my home charger. Any ideas why my XC40 won’t charge at the max rate?
When I first got my car (pure electric) my charging was disappointing (5+ KW), but I changed the amp setting in the car to 32 (it was at 27 I think) and now get 6.8-6.9 KW consistently (a couple of times it has reached 7 KW). What charger do you have? I have Andersen EV.
nick.turton@me.com

Post by nick.turton@me.com »

I have a Shell charger, they were New Motion. It’s really weird because it charges my son’s Polestar 2 at 32amps. The XC40 is essentially the same battery and drivetrain set up and even set to charge at 32amps in the car it will only achieve 16amps.