Vibrations @55-80mph

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
rikvanbeek

Post by rikvanbeek »

Hey,

Since the delivery of my D3 momentum in August, I suffer from resonating vibrations in the car. This vibration occurs between 55 and 80 mph.

The dealer has already tried other rims and tires, which did not lead to a solution. I also drove a T4 R-design, which shows the same problem.

It seems as if there is a kind of aerodynamic rhythmic resonance at these speeds. Does anyone recognize this? My dealer has not been able to solve it yet.

Gre

Post by Gre »

rikvanbeek wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:58 pm Hey,

Since the delivery of my D3 momentum in August, I suffer from resonating vibrations in the car. This vibration occurs between 55 and 80 mph.

The dealer has already tried other rims and tires, which did not lead to a solution. I also drove a T4 R-design, which shows the same problem.

It seems as if there is a kind of aerodynamic rhythmic resonance at these speeds. Does anyone recognize this? My dealer has not been able to solve it yet.
That sounds a bit strange. Haven’t felt any vibrations. I’m sure if mine had any vibrations I would have noticed.
D4 R design FE bright silver 20 wheels.
Bob

Post by Bob »

No, my FE T5 has been very smooth at those speeds, in fact the other day whilst driving down the M6 I commented to my wife how much smoother this car was compared to my old Q3.

Bob
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

I don’t have that sort of problem on my D3. I would have put it down to the diff on an AWD version. But you say they’ve put new tyres on, and you maybe FWD anyway.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
rikvanbeek

Post by rikvanbeek »

Fwd indeed.

In The Netherlands 3 other forum users experience similar problems. One even had two driveshafts replaced, still not solved.

I drove mine to test it also without the engine protect plate on the bottom, which did not make a difference.

As my problem seems to occur on highway speeds, i drove close behind a quick touringcar on cruisecontrol. Weaving from behind The touringcar to Free air seemed to go from no vibration to vibration. Therefor I think of an aerodynamic issue. It is a car from August 2019
Markxc40

Post by Markxc40 »

……………… It is a car from August 2019 ??? maybe it's when it travels through a black hole portal while time traveling. :D

Not much help but...

Best
Driving a Volvo XC40 2.0 T4 Inscription Pro AWD Geartronic in Pine Grey :D
rikvanbeek

Post by rikvanbeek »

Typo... 2018 of course.
rikvanbeek

Post by rikvanbeek »

No one else with this problem? Well I guess it is a good thing, as there are plenty of cars without The problem then... hope it will be solved soon!
saq1847

Post by saq1847 »

I have a D3 Inscription and have a similar issue noticed that the vibration comes from left hand side of vehicle (uk right hand drive) but have not been able to pinpoint it
Pine Grey Inscription due early Oct
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Just a thought, it’s not when you get close to the side of the road/lane? The steering wheel sometimes vibrates rather than steering away.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018