Vibrations @55-80mph

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Deleted User 2525

Post by Deleted User 2525 »

Kipper wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:01 pm My wife's step Brother in law (is there such a thing?) is a senior test engineer and drives a Tesler model x or something, big car, £80k. He loves it and says it's just a matter of planning your trips. He journeys from Derby to Bristol from time to time a journey of some 240 miles or so (around that figure at any rate) and says that as one normally has to stop for a break these days, he just has a coffee while his Tesler uses a rapid charger, and because he was an early buyer, it is free.

But as usual, the devil is in the detail, he is one of a few. I recently stopped at Norton Cains on the M6 toll and although I did not count the cars there, it was full. Now connect all those up to a rapid charger, for even then it takes quite a while to charge up, and you will need an electricity sub-station to supply the car park and they will all need 20 min+ for a full charge not the 10 mins at a pump.

Go to visit friends and then after asking for their Wi Fi password, the next phrase will be "can I plug in to your charger?" that is of course, after they have finished with it.

So is it the future? Of course it is, but it is very early and until battery technology and charging technology is up to our motoring habits, then it will be fraught with problems.

That is what you get when the metropolitan elite make decisions based on their driving habits. What is more, the artificial timescales imposed are so unnecessary and will cause untold hardship to many people, there is no Armageddon with global warming, the planet will not melt with rising temperatures by the end of the Century if we carry on using Fossle fuels, so we need to approach the problem in a measured approach. However, with politicians whose only skill sets are advertising and legal bills, what else can you expect. I could go on and explain why I know different, but this is not the forum, however, I feel it is relevant to the subject of motoring. Whether it will fix my wobbly wheeled XC40 is another thing.

Kipper (now getting down from his soap box)
I agree. Pretty much my point.

It's ok for the early adopters but multiply the adoption of EV many fold and we just don't have the necessary infrastructure.

In your service station example as well as a substation you would need a cable to supply that substation, perhaps even a few km of cable to get to the necessary point of sufficient electrical capacity.

Elvo57

Post by Elvo57 »

An interesting argument, but already covered!

The EV take up will be gradual, especially as NEW Fossil fuel cars will still be available until 2035 in the UK, giving the industry experts plenty of time to iron out all the wrinkles. Please note, Hybrids will also be excluded from then on… which is maybe something you should research, before spending you hard earned pension money!

The electricity generating companies seem happy enough with the projected marginal increase in demand, and as such the existing network capability should also be able to accommodate these marginal increases. Most domestic charging will be overnight, when normal demand is at its lowest (kettles, showers, ovens etc will not be in use either)… this is why there are cheap off-peak rates available. We’ll probably only charge once a week, if that, and for 4 hours.

Already the existing Smart Home wall charging points (to get the £500 Govt Grant, the charger must now be ‘Smart’) have the capability to work with your Smart Electric meter to reduce the charging current if required by the electric company. A bit of a concern I know, but it can be done!

Solar roof panels will be used by a (growing) percentage of owners and also the rapidly advancing battery storage systems, thus reducing charging demand.
Battery and Rapid Charging technology is improving all the time, so before your street is full of EV’s, it could be possible to top up your car in a matter of minutes at the supermarket (don’t just think petrol stations).

To be honest, I don’t see why the fact that in say 20 years’ time, the electric company could possibly need to put a few more cables in the ground, should in any way affect me buying an electric car today…
The effect of depletion of continued use of fossil fuels in 20 years’ time, well that’s another matter (sorry Kipper)!

Having worked for BT for 40 plus years, I’ve seen first hand what can be done with new developing technology, if the demand is there.
For example, how about Norway airport…. 2,700, yes, 2,700 charging points… it just takes the right mindset… from top to bottom, works best.

PS, the latest Rapid charging stations are using the above mentioned solar and storage technology, saving on your cables!

Anyone can find problems, but not so many can find solutions! As I said earlier, 94% of EV owners, happily make it work for them.

Sorry, just thought I’d say my piece… before we get told off… for being ‘off topic’.

Steve
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

A good debate to be had no doubt, not the place to have it really I agree, except to say I agree if the will is there, technology seems to have a way.

Before quoting Norway as an example remember, their population (5M), road infrastructure and surplus of hydro electric power. However, as a model, there will be things to learn.

Kipper
XC40 T4 Inscription Pro / Luminous Sand / Blond
Deleted User 2525

Post by Deleted User 2525 »

Yes I agree. The BBC in particular always quote/bring up Norway as an aspiration. 5 million Vs 65 million, not really comparable.

I'll also bow out of this particular off-topic part of this thread. Apologies to the OP.
mattgestic

Post by mattgestic »

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has found a route cause/ solution for the vibration issues?

I have a 2019 XC40 inscription model and experiencing the same problem. Wheels been balanced twice, new tyres... Vibration still there. Swapped the wheels over with other car and went for a drive with dealer.
I recorded the vibrations at still getting 40Hz-45Hz and 110kphH (68MPH).
I've got 19" rims on so tyre variations would ~13hz for 1st order and ~26Hz for 2nd order vibrations.
Hopefully managed to rule out wheels/tyres, but still no solution.
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

Mattgestic,
The forum has gone very quiet on the subject, which would suggest that Volvo are getting on top of the problem. In my case, they have changed the prop shaft and the clutch on the rear diff plus the damper unit (I think). Then COVID hit and my driving has been limited to local driving which involves a short run on the M55. The problem has certainly reduced if not eliminated. It is possible it is there at about 65mph, but very faint and seems to change in intensity at a rate I have yet to determine. I then took the vehicle to 80mph and it was very smooth. I am so neurotic about it that I cannot tell if the vibration is due to the car or the road surface. I am planning a longer drive next week and will make a better assessment after that.

What I believe to be the case is that the AWD is very sensitive to individual balancing of the rear drivetrain. As a dynamic engineer (suspension) told me, it is possible that individual units can be at the extremes of their tolerances, and only when they are placed together will the problem show up. I do know after measuring the vibrations that they are directly related to the wheel rotation. I also believe that Volvo have had this problem for some years and have yet to determine an exact cause. My garage is helpful, but they can only do what Volvo direct and I have no paperwork to record what work has been done under warranty.

It is also true that the problem exists on all combinations of engines, trim, wheel sizes and markets (ie countrys). What I am unsure about is the drivetrain, whether front or AWD as they can differ in different markets for the same model.

Hope that helps, more next week when I return.

Kipper
Snico

Post by Snico »

The problem on my car was solved in february, with the winter tyres. Now.. I did put the summer tyres back 4 months ago (with their own original Volvo wheels) and it came back big time.
My dealer's workshop manager showed me all the vibration measurements taken on the car. These showed vibrations caused by the running gear, not the engine, not the gearbox. According to their balancing machine, two of the tyres were not balanced enough for this car. The problem is that these balancing variations are not detectable by a standard machine, the one your tyre dealer uses.

They put on two new tyres and the problem disappeared.

The explanations given to me and which I think are correct in my case are that these cars are particularly sensitive because of their weight and all the braking technology they contain. He also explained to me that the height of the tyre (235/55/18) was an aggravating cause of these defects, telling me that with the 19'' and 20'' wheels the problem is much less frequent. Which does not seem to me to be meaningless.

I was advised to change to another brand of tyre at the next changeover as the brand delivered with the car would cause a lot of problems of this kind.
Finally he insisted on taking tyres that are Volvo certified (VOL).

That was my story, don't know if it can help.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Snico wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:08 am I was advised to change to another brand of tyre at the next changeover as the brand delivered with the car would cause a lot of problems of this kind.
Could you please specify what brand / name were your factory tires?
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

Snico,

Very interesting, I'm sure that your comment on on the sensitivity of the running gear is correct, whether it is the tyres, I'm not so sure. I was meaning to comment on my recent trip but am ashamed to say I never got round to it, partly because it was inconclusive. That the vibration has reduced is in no doubt, cured is another matter. I have been on 235/50 19" Continental Premium Contact 6 since the car was delivered and apart from 6000 miles worth of wear, they seem to be the one area of consistency. It is possible, however, that in the replacement of the last set of units, (rear diff clutch and hydraulic unit, if indeed I understand the units changed, no paperwork), they re-balanced the wheels as a matter of course.

However, your observations are useful, it would seem the random nature of the problem would lead to an assessment that the problem is not down to any one single component, but combinations within a very sensitive AWD system. Who knows, should I keep the car long enough, I will try different tyres.

Thanks again for the comment, all information is useful.

Kipper
Snico

Post by Snico »

Try Pirelli. It should be better if I believe my Volvo reseller's tecnichal chief. I also will try to leave my impressions as soon as I have changed to Pirelli. It will not be before next summer.
And my car is a front wheel drive.