Vibrations @55-80mph

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Elvo57

Post by Elvo57 »

Interesting comment SvenXC40 !

Just a bit confused because my neighbour's car was FWD!. Also ricvanbeek has driven FWD cars that exhibit the same resonance characteristic. Perhaps we are not talking about the same problem? I think early on he said that Volvo had separated the vibration and resonance as being two different issues, where the vibration was fixable and the resonance/thrumming was 'a characteristic of the XC40'.

Please let us know if replacing the Cardan shaft does it for you! (I'm still chasing the dealership for our next appointment)

XC40 | First Edition | D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" Continental Premium Contact 6 tyres | Ordered 14/03/18 | Delivered 11th October 2018 | UK.

cuznvin

Post by cuznvin »

Just had my wheels/tires swapped with another XC40 that does NOT have the vibration issue. Guess what? I STILL have the vibration issue!! I am SO disappointed. Service mgr said he was going to reach out to Volvo techs that are in the area. Didnt hear back since I called around 1030 AM EST. I seriously dont even know what they are going to do to fix this.
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

As an ex software test engineer I know the value of repeated descriptions of faults, so while my experience is no different to most on this subject, I reckon added data might be of value.

I road tested a T5 First Edition in Sep 18 and was so impressed with the smoothness of the drive I ordered a T4 Inscription Pro which arrived March 19. As soon as I drove the vehicle away I noticed the vibration, very slight but it was there. I have now done 1500 miles of mostly motorway driving with the vibration varying in intensity, but generally of a low value, my co-pilot (wife) did not notice it at first only when I mentioned it did she become aware.

I took the vehicle back for checks and to get the wheels re-balanced and as most have reported, nothing changed, maybe a bit worse! I mentioned this to the service desk and the technician came with me to experience the vibrations, we then took out a Diesel demonstrator, (I did not make a note of the model but it was automatic) and it hd the same vibration.

From what I can tell the fault is on particular vehicles, the model or drive train seems not to matter, while it has all the indications of a wheel balance issue, re-balancing seems not to solve the problem. Aerodynamics? Perhaps, as the T5 I tested was an R Design with different suspension.

It does take the shine of a very nice vehicle so I am willing to wait until someone gets to the bottom this.

So everyone, keep adding bits of observations, you never know, someone might stumble on the answer.
XC40 T4 Inscription Pro / Luminous Sand / Blond
cuznvin

Post by cuznvin »

Lets hope someone figures it out! Today field tech said road force balance tires ( The Pirellis!!) . Had to send them out. No road force balancer at dealership. They said tires wouldnt be back by 5 pm.. tomorrow they will put them back on and service advisor will test drive. I asked if the vibration is still there, then what? He said, we will take it from there. I told him I found it funny how he said..80,000 cars from the factory and none needed to be road force balanced yet two sets of tires that were on my car need road force balancing? CRICKETS... SO, then I told him that if he tests drives it and it still vibrates, im taking the car and going to another dealership. I already have an appt on thursday with another dealership. Im tired of the service manager's attitude when I ask questions or confront him when he doesnt return phone calls. I made this other appt because I am not hopeful that this will be the fix since others have already went down this road.
drjamesr

Post by drjamesr »

This problem is very reminiscent of issues that arose with my previous car, an Audi Q3 bought in 2012 not long after the model introduction in 2011. Particular models exhibited front end vibrations. Some customers found themselves without any solution and were upgraded by Audi from a Q3 to a Q5!

The problem was never formally recognised by Audi but the most likely explanation seemed to be that the complete steering geometry design on some models, not just tyres, was exhibiting an unexpected resonant behaviour at a particular speed range.

Maybe there is no read across. But for what it's worth, the extensive thread can be found here and maybe some clues

https://www.q3ownersclub.co.uk/forum/17 ... ssues.html

The need for wheel balance with increasing degrees of sophistication was a recurring theme but not necessarily a cure.
XC40 Inscription, D4 AWD, Pine Grey, black leather faced, 19” double spoke #924, Xenium, Intellisense surround, Winter/Htd wheel, Spare wheel
cuznvin

Post by cuznvin »

Thank you. Road force balance was complete. They would not give me a copy of the work order from the tire place. I saw that previously the numbers were around 10 and now at 0. I am waiting for traffic to die down so I can get it up to speed to see if its truly fixed as the service advisor stated " its improved"
cuznvin

Post by cuznvin »

Ok. Test drove. Improved but still not smooth at over 65.. Tomorrow to another dealer.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

This is disappointing. I've moved on from Audi,VW and Skoda because of their issues with engines and unreliability of DSG gearboxes for my next car and now find my new car choice might have a problem.

What is it with manufacturers who spend millions on research, design and testing but then release the cars onto the public with issues. It's one thing to have problems raise their heads after a period of ownership but to receive a car with built in defects is unforgivable.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

cuznvin wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:39 pm Thank you. Road force balance was complete. They would not give me a copy of the work order from the tire place. I saw that previously the numbers were around 10 and now at 0. I am waiting for traffic to die down so I can get it up to speed to see if its truly fixed as the service advisor stated " its improved"
Seems odd.......what are they hiding?

One of the advantages of road force balancing is that it gives you an idea of the amount of radial variation in each tyre. If there are batches of cr@p tyres out there, maybe they don't want you to find out (as the replacement cost will be high).

The tyre place should, ideally, have marked the high spot on each tyre, & written the post-balance figures on the inside tyre wall. The 'best' tyre should be put on offside front, the next best on nearside front etc. (see the Jaguar technical bulletin I posted earlier).
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
cuznvin

Post by cuznvin »

Silver Moose wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:24 pm
cuznvin wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:39 pm Thank you. Road force balance was complete. They would not give me a copy of the work order from the tire place. I saw that previously the numbers were around 10 and now at 0. I am waiting for traffic to die down so I can get it up to speed to see if its truly fixed as the service advisor stated " its improved"
Seems odd.......what are they hiding?

One of the advantages of road force balancing is that it gives you an idea of the amount of radial variation in each tyre. If there are batches of cr@p tyres out there, maybe they don't want you to find out (as the replacement cost will be high).

The tyre place should, ideally, have marked the high spot on each tyre, & written the post-balance figures on the inside tyre wall. The 'best' tyre should be put on offside front, the next best on nearside front etc. (see the Jaguar technical bulletin I posted earlier).
I dont think my dealership has a single clue. Its at a new dealership today. Funny how my dealership originally mentioned different tires like continental and Michelin and in the end just road force balanced the Pirellis. At speeds over 65 my seat vibrates and so does the steering wheel. I kind of feels like driving over those grooved plates on a bridge or road, just not as bad as that. In one month, this is my 5th visit to a dealership. To be told it is what to be expected at 70 mph is bullshit. Not one of the dozen cars I have had over the years felt like this. If this is a Volvo thing, it will be my first and last Volvo