Vibrations @55-80mph

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Elvo57

Post by Elvo57 »

Fair enough!

We ran a couple of Passat estates (excellent work horses, but my other half broke both of them) before we went people (parents) carrier (VW Touran x 2) and then finally SUV (Yeti, Yeti, XC40).

I can see on the app that our car is still sat there at the dealership and has not moved since 21st November. No contact from Volvo UK or the dealership guys/gals. Ball still in their court… their next move! I can only assume they are not happy with the Road Force Balancing results, and it's been pushed up to a higher level?

If I could find a worthy replacement for the XC40, I would obviously be chasing things a bit harder…. I/we, still fancy a classic American V8… awful, but fantastic at the same time!

Will only update next, when some real news comes along... must do some decorating!

XC40 | First Edition | D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" Continental Premium Contact 6 tyres | Ordered 14/03/18 | Delivered 11th October 2018 | UK.

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I had 3 Passat estates on the trot which were great cars, with the last one being a DSG. Would have had another but didn't like the look of the latest incarnation though it has grown on me now. The A6 was a real step up though.

It was hard enough finding a replacement for the Yeti - whilst I was a bit lukewarm it would probably have been a Karoq if it wasn't for the problems with the 1.5 petrol or the 2.0 forcing me to have 4WD and a panoramic roof which meant me moving away from VW Group cars after 7 consecutively excluding the TT.

Did me a favour though as I looked around and found the XC40 (which makes the Karoq look very ordinary) and there isn't anything else I'd rather have so I can understand your quandry.

Not hearing anymore from the dealer is a pretty bad show.

Talking of decorating I'm doing a couple of the bedrooms at the moment including replacing the skirting boards and architraves. Been good to get the power tools out again and to buy another one!

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

Not hearing from the garage seems to be a theme here. Whether it is lack of prompting from Volvo themselves, or just normal garage behaviour, I have no idea. My next call is on Monday to see what progress has been made, none I suspect. So the onus is on those of us affected to really nag them to get it sorted.

Kipper
XC40 T4 Inscription Pro / Luminous Sand / Blond
Elvo57

Post by Elvo57 »

An update from the dealership…

As I had guessed, the ‘unbalanceable’ wheel was all OK with a new tyre fitted. Prudently, this time it was taken by Mark (the Volvo UK tech) on the 190 mile round trip… so he could experience the results first hand… and guess what… no better!
His next step is to try different wheels (again). Initially from a same spec vehicle, but as none were available, two new ones have been ordered and are expected soon. These he has asked to be fitted, locally balanced and rotated around the car by the dealership engineers to see if it makes any difference.

Makes no sense to me… already been there!

XC40 | First Edition | D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" Continental Premium Contact 6 tyres | Ordered 14/03/18 | Delivered 11th October 2018 | UK.
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

In my previous life I was a an aircraft technician and more often than not issues such as these required a whole different approach to find a solution. Changing random bits never solved the problem. What is needed is to study the technical drawings and find out what could cause such a problem.

One of the problems we had in new aircraft avionics development, was the instance that as the 'box' could tell you when it was US, you only needed a 'box changer' to repair the fault. Experienced technicians tried to explain that you needed experienced technicians to understand whether the box was at fault or another than fed data to it. Never did win that argument, box changers are cheaper then technicians.

I have given the garage lots of details of vibration frequencies and how the vibration varies in intensity, but I feel they will ignore it all and go their own piecemeal way.

In the world of acoustics, varying amplitude signals indicates two or more vibrating sources of slightly differing frequencies, they come in and out of phase depending on the frequency differences. Individually the amplitude is below a detection threshold, but when in phase the amplitude becomes large enough to be detected. Perhaps......OK, my field is not vehicle dynamics, but you need an approach with that sort of thought process.

I measured the vibration at a frequency consistent with wheel rotation. Start from that basis including the rear half shafts and diff.

Which is why we need to keep the pressure on to get the thing solved. It's in their interest as well.

Kipper
Elvo57

Post by Elvo57 »

Thanks for your thoughts Kipper!

As I’ve mentioned recently, every XC40 I have driven has exhibited the resonance issue to some extent. That includes AWD models but mainly FWDs.

Even the XC60 had it there… but very very distant in the background (although it was on 21” wheels… probably the worst option available). Obviously, the engines and drive train will be shared but with some levels of modification.

To me the XC40 chassis has to be the issue. Vibrations are generated throughout all moving mechanical parts (but especially tyres in this case), it’s just the way they are damped (or not) through the suspension and chassis components.

As I’ve already had new drive shafts and differential, I think Volvo should be looking at suspension bushing materials, front and rear subframe mountings and whether these mounting points on the body are sufficiently rigid to stop flexing. It could even be down to sound deadening material within the body panels/doors etc, being of the wrong density. After all, a car body is just a big steel box which can easily act as a drum with the right frequencies being applied in the right place. Maybe the XC40 box has a resonance frequency equivalent to the wheel rotation at speeds of 50 to 80 MPH as you have indicated… it sounds very plausible!

Our car is now 14 months old, with no clear sign of a resolution. Hence, I think it will soon be time to give Volvo ‘one last chance’ and then ask for our money back (if only we knew what to get next).

Volvo and the dealership have always been good in their attitude, but at the end of the day, the car is still not right.

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Not my area of expertise, but what you guys are saying makes a lot of sense. Volvo might have the right attitude (unlike VWG who deny everything until the evidence is overwhelming) but after 14 months they are no nearer to identifying the problem never mind solving it.

They should be investigating it back at the factory in a scientific manner which I would guess would mean running an affected car on a rolling road until the vibration/resonance manifests itself and then pinpointing where it emanates from. Their approach at the moment is just p$ssing in the wind and just hoping they stumble across the issue.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

As Christmas approaches it's difficult to get anything positive done. so I will start in the New Year cranking the issue up. I agree it's a Volvo issue. the garages are merely the contact point, they won't do anything without direction from Volvo as the company are footing the bill.

So we will see how it goes.

Kipper
alanlaughton

Post by alanlaughton »

I've had my slightly second-hand T4 since April (registered in October 2018, it had done 2,500 miles) and this noise has gotten worse. It seems to be loudest when I set off from stone cold but I hear it at other times too, depending on the road surface and the speed. I agree that is seems to be a resonance/frequency issue and you need to be going at some speed to hear it. It's a kind of rhythmical knocking/drumming sound as if something is loose.

At first I thought it might be the exhaust system as it gets quieter as the car warms up but I hear it at other times now. It's really quite loud when setting of from cold but does not do it consistently.

I'm relieved to hear this is a real issue as the dealership weren't interested in October when it went in for its first year service. Mind you, they denied that anyone else had had the tailgate handle come adrift when they fixed it in June, but that became a service recall a few months later. No dealer will admit to problems with a new model so they just lie.

Combined with the disappointing fuel economy (my Boxster S was better) and the fact that the CO2 rating is total bollocks (Which? say it's really 195), means that I may change it next year. I'd never buy another Volvo. Shame, as the car is nice to drive and we were going to keep it long-term.
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

Alan

I think you have identified the main problem. All our descriptions of what I deem vibrations, seem to very slightly. Thus making it very difficult to identify. I fear we are suffering from new model gremlins and you are right, dealers will never admit anything is wrong. Which is why we must keep at them.

I have to admit that by the time I reach any high speed road, the car is warmed up, so I cannot confirm that observation. Since the prop shaft change the speed range has increased to 65+ but, in the back of my mind, I have the feeling that the chassis just might be super sensitive. Whatever the cause, I shall persist. The garage themselves at least acknowledge the problem, a demonstrator has the same fault. That hasn't made them pro-active 'though, mind you they cannot do anything without Volvo UK direction. I must phone their customer services again.

Could't agree more about the fuel consumption, but then my last car, a Honda HRV 1.5 Diesel, returned 65mpg without much effort. But 6000 miles a year meant I was storing up problems for the particulate filter even if the car wasn't that bad. But, the XC40 is much nicer in all departments and I was prepared for the increased fuel usage.

Kipper