Vibrations @55-80mph

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
rikvanbeek

Post by rikvanbeek »

Sad to see more and more problems popping up.

I have been there...
- Roadforce balancing
- Skidplate removed against possible vibrations under the car
- 4 different sets of rims (and sizes) and tires tested
- Being told “i font feel anything” by national Volvo service guy...
- Testdrove fwd, 4wd, r-design, momentum, automatic, manual, diesel, petrol and they all vibrate same in more or less noticeable ways.

I got sick of it and will trade the XC40 next Tuesday for a BMW X1. Will do a toast on celebrating the exit of the Volvo. What a farce.

Please dont let your dealer mislead you. I am convinced it is:
Option 1: aerodynamic designfault, generating the sound and vibration. I tested this driving close behind a bus/coach doing 110 km/h. Vibration seemed less.
Option 2: something is unbalanced between the gearbox and the tire. a: Due to the fact the problem is till there with perfect round and balanced tires. b: Because the vibration is still there when you pop it in neutral while driving.

I tried to be kind an patient to the dealer and Volvo for over half a year! My car was in service for more than 2,5 months in total! The offer from Volvo when we wanted to trade in the xc40 was more than ridiculous. (BMW even offered better...). No excuse or empathy was shown.

Apart from the problem, my car had a recall as there was an urgent problem with the brake pedal... But at that moment I was on holiday in Italy. Instead of arranging local help, I was asked to drive hone carefully...
My tailgate is mounted crooked and cannot me mounted symmetrical as the mounting points are welded in the wrong place.
The bonnet and rear suspension squeaked, solved by some lubricant.
Never got the USB-c port working in the back.

Annoyed an disappointed doesn’t capture my feelings...
Last edited by rikvanbeek on Fri May 24, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

cuznvin

Post by cuznvin »

rikvanbeek wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:25 pm Sad to see more and more problems popping up.

Roadforce balancing
Skidplate removal against possible vibrations under the car
4 different sets of rims (and sizes) and tires
Being told “i font feel anything” by national Volvo service guy...
testdrove fwd, 4wd, r-design, momentum, automatic, manual, diesel, petrol and they all vibrate same in more or less noticable ways.

I got sick of it and Will trade The xc40 next tuesday for a BMW X1. Will do a toast on celebrating The exit of The Volvo. What a farce.

Option 1: aerodynamic designfault, generating the sound and vibration. I tested this driving close behind a bus/coach doing 110 km/h. Vibration seemd less.
Option 2: something unbalanced between the gearbox and the tire. Due to the fact the problem is till there with perfect round and balanced tires. And because is is still there when you pop it in neutral while driving.
How did you manage to get rid of the xc40.. Was it purchased or leased? I almost went for the X1 but didnt because of no Blind Spot warning and no rear cross traffic alert with braking. The rear cross traffic braking saved me just the other day when I was pulling out of my driveway. If it was the X1... BAM!!!
rikvanbeek

Post by rikvanbeek »

Car was company bought. We bit the bullet and took our losses.
Last edited by rikvanbeek on Fri May 24, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cuznvin

Post by cuznvin »

rikvanbeek wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:41 pm Car was company bought. We Bit The bullet and took The loss.

Sorry for the captations and textfaults, but my iPhone keeps autocorrecting... :-)
I just called the dealer. They said that the manager wants to drive it one more time tomorrow. The woman couldnt tell me what they actually did. I tld her to have the sales advisor call me back today! I want know what they actually did. Why should I have to wait until tomorrow??
cuznvin

Post by cuznvin »

cuznvin wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:33 pm
rikvanbeek wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:25 pm Sad to see more and more problems popping up.

Roadforce balancing
Skidplate removal against possible vibrations under the car
4 different sets of rims (and sizes) and tires
Being told “i font feel anything” by national Volvo service guy...
testdrove fwd, 4wd, r-design, momentum, automatic, manual, diesel, petrol and they all vibrate same in more or less noticable ways.

I got sick of it and Will trade The xc40 next tuesday for a BMW X1. Will do a toast on celebrating The exit of The Volvo. What a farce.

Option 1: aerodynamic designfault, generating the sound and vibration. I tested this driving close behind a bus/coach doing 110 km/h. Vibration seemd less.
Option 2: something unbalanced between the gearbox and the tire. Due to the fact the problem is till there with perfect round and balanced tires. And because is is still there when you pop it in neutral while driving.
How did you manage to get rid of the xc40.. Was it purchased or leased? I almost went for the X1 but didnt because of no Blind Spot warning and no rear cross traffic alert with braking. The rear cross traffic braking saved me just the other day when I was pulling out of my driveway. If it was the X1... BAM!!!
SECOND dealer just called and said Manager and advisor all drove the car and dont feel what I am describing and its normal.. I just cant!! NOW WTF do I do??
Michaelxc40

Post by Michaelxc40 »

You could always pay for an independent car inspection then threaten them with legal action if they don’t resolve it, ie refund or exchange vehicle.
I know a couple of people who did it with Jaguar F Pace with success.
Luckily I managed to get Jaguar to take mine back and refund me before it got to that stage.
T5 First edition Crystal White
cuznvin

Post by cuznvin »

Michaelxc40 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:34 pm You could always pay for an independent car inspection then threaten them with legal action if they don’t resolve it, ie refund or exchange vehicle.
Luckily I managed to get Jaguar to take mine back and refund me before it got to that stage.

I didnt even know there was such a thing. I guess I will have to google. The service advisor told me the car was ready for pick up and when I asked about the manager driving it this morning, he said, yes he didnt notice anything abnormal. I asked him why the Volvo app shows the last time the car was driven was yesterday afternoon? He said.. oh maybe because we did software updates and then all of a sudden he said there was a few things to button up and that he would call me when its ready? LOL!! Im no dummy!!! DONT LIE!!!
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

cuznvin wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:42 pm
Michaelxc40 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:34 pm You could always pay for an independent car inspection then threaten them with legal action if they don’t resolve it, ie refund or exchange vehicle.

I didnt even know there was such a thing. I guess I will have to google. The service advisor told me the car was ready for pick up and when I asked about the manager driving it this morning, he said, yes he didnt notice anything abnormal. I asked him why the Volvo app shows the last time the car was driven was yesterday afternoon? He said.. oh maybe because we did software updates and then all of a sudden he said there was a few things to button up and that he would call me when its ready? LOL!! Im no dummy!!! DONT LIE!!!
A lot of household insurance policies provide a free legal helpline to give advice in respect of consumer law. Some policies also have legal expenses insurance. Citizens Advice Bureau (available online) may also be able to give general consumer contract advice.
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
cuznvin

Post by cuznvin »

thank you
cuznvin

Post by cuznvin »

The field tech said this rumbling is from "the torque converter in lockup mode dependng on the load" Whatever it is, its uncomfortable to drive long distances. If they can make other models without causing this vibration, then they should do the same for the XC40. This is something that needs to be rectified with this model. Disappointed that there is no fix