Vibrations @55-80mph

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Adavis81 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:20 pm
My car has been back to the service center 1 time already (I've had the car just over 1 week). They did RF balancing on the tires. The problem still remains.

Tires I have are 235/55 18 inches.

To clarify - Is this definitely a tires issue? Seems like no one has been able to fully pinpoint it, but maybe Volvo have done so?
Welcome to the forum.

It is definitely not a tires issue if those have been balanced and the problem still persists. Check the other comments above, maybe there’s a solution to your problem.

Kipper

Post by Kipper »

Davis,
I thought it had been sorted as the forum had been very quiet. I suspect Volvo have no idea how to solve the problem, it seems to be associated with the AWD system. I had the prop shaft replaced, which reduced it a bit, and a couple of items to do with the clutch assembly for the rear diff. To be honest the problem had reduced so much a new owner might not think there was a problem, but I could tell it was still there.

What is the cause? I have no idea my best guess is it is an interaction of individual components on the AWD system. What I can say with confidence is that the vibration is at the wheel rotation rate, hence the feeling the tyres are at fault. Now I used a mobile app to measure the vibration so no marks for fidelity, but quick calculations showed it to be the case. I got so fed up with the lack of action and was offered a good price so I changed the car for a '21 FWD B4 model and that is fine. However, I do find that the chassis seems to be very sensitive to road conditions. If the road is smooth, so is the ride. Here in the UK our motorways (Freeways, well at the moment!) are largely surfaced with asphalt. As a result wear from heavy trucks can cause lane 1 to be slightly uneven, and this can be felt in an XC40, or is that my paranoia!

Don't give in, there is a problem, in fact the is a technical report from Volvo US that advises on the inspection schedule to identify the cause Technical Journal TJ 20803.20.0 is the number should they deny all knowledge. If you would like a copy, contact me on this forum with your e-mail address and I will send what I have direct to you. I tried to attach it here but it doesn't like pdf files.

Kipper

My XC40 is now an Inscription Pro B4 (That's a T4 but a mild hybrid) /Pebble/with Blond
XC40 T4 Inscription Pro / Luminous Sand / Blond
Adavis81

Post by Adavis81 »

Kipper - Thanks for that. Yes, I read through all the posts and have downloaded that document. I will bring it with me to the service center when they take my car in.

debating if I should try for a buy back on the car (only 800 miles at the moment) or let them try and fix the issue. As others have said, there is a lot to like about it, but the vibration, noise that resembles an open window and the revving of the engine during acceleration at times is frustrating.

Thanks,

Davis
Adavis81

Post by Adavis81 »

Kipper - Can you remind me what size wheels you had on yours before you swapped?

Thanks,

Davis
C30nowVibratingXC40

Post by C30nowVibratingXC40 »

Where to begin.
Huge Volvo fan, had a C30 and loved it. Sold it sadly.

Anyway, recently bought a used Certified pre owned XC 40 T5 R Design with the 20’ rims. Have had it for 7 days and it’s been at the dealer for 5 days now.

I regret not googling common issues with this xc40 and going with my previous gut/experience with the Volvo brand and my c30.

As my screen name bluntly describes, I have the ubiquitous vibration at highway speeds, mainly after 60 mph, it’s like clock work. My dealer ship replaced 3 tires because “ they did not meet the road force balance spec and had shifted rods in them” whatever that meant. Anyway, they also “checked” the prop shaft and said it was fine and the tires are the culprit. I’ll go with that since I’m trusting them as they sold me the car.

I’m fearing going to pick this car up tomorrow and or the next day when it’s done to find that vibration still exists and or has gotten worse as many have experienced on here.

So, Should I just contact Volvo at this point and or should I push the dealer for the prop shaft and rear diff to be replaced as noted on the Technical journal that Volvo has issued. My plan is to pick up the car and drive it, and if it has the vibration literally u turn it back to the dealer.

Love the car, just don’t want to be going at this for months if someone has found a remedy which seems to be the above and not the tires. Time is valuable and no one should be spending time with this, it’s sad that even CPO cars are being sold like this. Really do not trust the brand and this experience deters me from ever buying a Volvo again which is saddening as many I’m sure would agree. Anyway, Please and thanks!
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

No vibration at all with XC40 on 18-inch rims, not a fan of big rims - if any car has vibration to the level of annoying and its not random or road surface should be a cause for concern - its impossible to know the complete history of a used car, for example, did the previous owner hit something and slightly bent/ changed the steering geometry? Trying to find the cause can be a slow long slog, so fingers crossed it was bad tyres. Doubt your dealer will change the prop-shaft and diff because of your request to do so. Can you try smaller rims? I would also have the steering geometry fully align-checked too. However it could be anyone of a multitude of things - but I would suspect the big rims/ tyres first - also if you have had the car for only a week - could you reject it?
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

C30nowVibratingXC40 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:13 am Where to begin.
Huge Volvo fan, had a C30 and loved it. Sold it sadly.

Anyway, recently bought a used Certified pre owned XC 40 T5 R Design with the 20’ rims. Have had it for 7 days and it’s been at the dealer for 5 days now.

I regret not googling common issues with this xc40 and going with my previous gut/experience with the Volvo brand and my c30.

As my screen name bluntly describes, I have the ubiquitous vibration at highway speeds, mainly after 60 mph, it’s like clock work. My dealer ship replaced 3 tires because “ they did not meet the road force balance spec and had shifted rods in them” whatever that meant. Anyway, they also “checked” the prop shaft and said it was fine and the tires are the culprit. I’ll go with that since I’m trusting them as they sold me the car.

I’m fearing going to pick this car up tomorrow and or the next day when it’s done to find that vibration still exists and or has gotten worse as many have experienced on here.

So, Should I just contact Volvo at this point and or should I push the dealer for the prop shaft and rear diff to be replaced as noted on the Technical journal that Volvo has issued. My plan is to pick up the car and drive it, and if it has the vibration literally u turn it back to the dealer.

Love the car, just don’t want to be going at this for months if someone has found a remedy which seems to be the above and not the tires. Time is valuable and no one should be spending time with this, it’s sad that even CPO cars are being sold like this. Really do not trust the brand and this experience deters me from ever buying a Volvo again which is saddening as many I’m sure would agree. Anyway, Please and thanks!
They replaced 3 tyres???…….Hmmmm 🤔
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
MikeXC40

Post by MikeXC40 »

Hi,
Back in May 2021 I purchased a brand new 2022 XC40 Momentum FWD (LHD). After a few thousand miles I started to notice the vibrations above 50 mph.
After searching on the internet I found there is a large number of posts related to the vibration issue.
In my case I have 19" 5-Spoke Black Diamond Cut - 922 wheels with Pirelli P Zero tires made in France 235/50 R19.

Today the XC40 has about 13k miles, I did an oil change at 4.6k miles, and first dealer service at 9.3k miles.
I recently had to drive for the first time on the highway, then I decided to balance all 4 wheels/tires before the trip.
I could not find have any Hunter road force balance machine available near me.
After balancing I did find a significant improvement when driving below 60mph. However once I was in the highway above 60mph and below 85 mph the vibration was really bad. Additional to the vibration I could notice at highway speed wind noise over the left A pillar or around that area, the noise was also very annoying and it is the first time I have noticed.

I´m not in a position to sell the XC40 and buy something else, so I´m planning to get new wheels and tires and live with whatever vibration is left and use it only for low speed commutes.
My plan is to get lighter 18" OZ wheels, and then some Michelin tires hoping to reduce the vibrations as much as possible. Looking at moving to 18" wheels I find OZ wheels to be much lower cost than Volvo 18 wheels.

Has anyone moved from 19" to 18" wheels that can comment on some definitive improvements to reduce vibration? or does anyone has a link with a post that has some conclusive points about how to reduce or eliminate the vibrations?
thanks