Vibrations @55-80mph

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Good to know that improvements can be made if one has a car that is badly affected.

I'm one of those that picks up on all sounds and issues that shouldn't be there but have recently retired so most journeys won't be long or at sustained speeds.

Ironically one of the reasons I'm moving from Skoda and the rest of the VW Group is because of ongoing issues with their 1.5 petrol engine which was going to be my choice!

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.

Kipper

Post by Kipper »

Many thanks for that, I will contact my dealership to see how far they have got. At least if Volvo accept there is a problem, then there should be progress.

Kipper
XC40 T4 Inscription Pro / Luminous Sand / Blond
Silver Moose

Post by Silver Moose »

Yep, good to see progress being made. Shame there was a problem in the first place as vibrations are like a bad smell - once you've tuned into it, it never fully leaves.

There's an interesting new software update just been released - it's common to see engine management & transmission tweaks included within a wider update but, this one is focused solely in this area. Anyone think this may be related to vibration issues?

Updates from and including July 2019
Improvement of the AWD system's optimisation.
Improvement of the engine management system's optimisation.
Improvement of the transmission system's optimisation.
Real name Carl
T4 Inscription Pro ordered 13/12/2018 - collected 30/3/2019
Bright Silver/Charcoal
Convenience pack, Intellisafe Pro, 360 camera
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

First decent run today in week old car on roads I could travel a bit faster on e.g. 70 mph and relieved to find not a hint of vibration.

Chris
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

Good to hear, that means it's not a fundamental issue, merely a build issue that is solvable, I hope. Time will tell.

Thanks for letting the forum know.

Kipper
Hendrix

Post by Hendrix »

Mine arrived on Wednesday, and had a vibration pretty much all through the speed range, but particularly around 65mph, felt through the seat, not the steering wheel. Took it back in and they discovered the back tyres (P-zero’s) we’re out of round. Fronts were fine. Replacing all four with Michelin’s.
T4 Fusion Red Momentum with Technology Pack (ACC, Pilot Assist, 360 camera, Park Assist Pilot).
Deleted User 1984

Post by Deleted User 1984 »

Hendrix wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:31 am Mine arrived on Wednesday, and had a vibration pretty much all through the speed range, but particularly around 65mph, felt through the seat, not the steering wheel. Took it back in and they discovered the back tyres (P-zero’s) we’re out of round. Fronts were fine. Replacing all four with Michelin’s.
Which series of Michelin will your dealer replace your tires ? I seriously think to replace my tires (Conti Eco-Contact 6) with Michelin but I am not sure which series yet.
Hendrix

Post by Hendrix »

I’m not sure yet. I know they’re Volvo approved/standard, but not sure which flavour.
T4 Fusion Red Momentum with Technology Pack (ACC, Pilot Assist, 360 camera, Park Assist Pilot).
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Mine came with Michelin Primacy 4. With the 18" wheels (235/55 R18) I'm very pleased with the noise and ride.

Chris

Kipper

Post by Kipper »

I was wondering if the problem was being sorted as I received no reports of more vibrations. I am not only in contact with the garage, some 40 miles away so I cannot just pop in, but also Volvo UK, I say in contact, I phoned them and informed of my problem and they denied any knowledge of the issue. When I mentioned the forum they said they don't pay any attention to that. I sent the technical journals to the garage, again they pay no attention to other markets.

I even measured the vibration using my phone, (13.3Hz at 70) and it seems they are waiting for me to send them more. It's a mobile phone free app, if you want an accurate figure you should use a calibrated meter! I don't blame the garage, it is a Volvo issue, and as such I fear that it is only on a few cars so doesn't warrant much effort on their part. Reject the car, I hear you say, I should do except the rest of it is superb, I do not wish to get rid of it. It is not a tyre issue as mine have all been balanced. Interestingly, the garage has a demonstrator with the same problem, so they are checking the easy bits with that, so far nothing.

So my question is, has anybody with the original problem had it solved. (Sorry I have waffled on for so long, I am just getting so frustrated with lack of progress.)

Moral of this story, don't pay cash for a car. Finance companies tend to have more clout.

Kipper