Security of Keyless Entry

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
ivath0

Post by ivath0 »

When I collected my car I was told by the technician that Volvo's Keyless Entry was protected by 'scrolling encryption' but the recent TV program investigating this issue stated that Volvos are as vulnerable as most other makes.
Can anyone tell me the true position and how best to protect my car.

hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Hi ivath, what was the TV programme?

I don’t know, but I would guess, even with revolving encryption keys, each key will still be valid for a period of time, 5 minutes perhaps, 30? So if you’re in a supermarket, and someone scans and clones the code, if they’re quick enough, they’d probably still get in. If you’re in a shopping centre with lots of large car parks, probably more difficult.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
morrishey

Post by morrishey »

I believe the security weakness isn't in cloning as much as range extending. See this from Thatcham https://www.thatcham.org/relay-attack/

Device is held near to car (within normal range of a key being recognised). This device works as a relay from key to car, but with a much greater range from which to read the key (which is tucked away indoors). So, key is recognised by device, relayed out from device to car which is fooled into thinking the actual key is right there next to the door.

Best solution is to keep key in a faraday bag, obviously how religiously you do so is a decision you have to make. Personally, mine goes in the bag when I'm done with the car at the end of the day, others keep the bag more about their person and use it whenever they're not driving the car. My spare keys live in a bag until needed.

Loads of them listed on Amazon. I purchased one each of these to see which orientation pouch worked best for me & would fit my whole bunch as I couldn't be bothered taking the car off the ring every time. I've tested them by standing next to the car door with the key in the bag and it would not unlock, so I'm happy. Can't say they're better or worse than any of the other multitude available, but I know they work for me.

XC40 T5 FE, Fusion Red, 20inch wheels.
Ordered 15th March. Delivery, originally June, delivered 26th October.
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

I raised the issue of signal amplification a bit ago with a video how quickly they can take your car

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=319
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October