Alarm going off constantly

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Redsand451

Post by Redsand451 »

Collected XC40 T3 R-design pro yesterday (after 6 month wait). Very happy with it, then on stroke of midnight the alarm started to go off whilst the car was on the drive.

No visible reason for alarm. Reset it, still went off. Tried again, still going off.

Called volvo on call who could see it was going off but not why. Called a breakdown out.

Given it was now 2am and kids and neighbours were not too happy I could only get it to stop by leaving car door open so that it didn't lock.

Breakdown tried the obvious of opening and closing doors, bonnet, boot, but to no avail. Gave up at 3am and put car in my garage but left doors open.

Any idea what is going in?

Waiting in dealer now. It is at least going off on their car park so doing the same thing.

Also got wiper system failure error now and the wipers not functioning.

Coincidence that all started at midnight or did a software update hit??

Deleted User 1240

Post by Deleted User 1240 »

Oh dear, not a good start for you.
It may be a dodgy movement sensor or some little creature in it. Hopefully the car can log which sensor set it off.
It's worth knowing how to set the alarm without the movement detection on .....it's called "reduced guard" and you select it in a menu each time you want to use it....handy for ferry crossings or leaving a dog in the car.
Hope they sort everything quickly for you.
Redsand451

Post by Redsand451 »

Thanks - I did think of reduced guard but it still went off so obviously not the internal sensors at fault.

Dealer has said they have found a loose Earth wire and are fixing. Due back later today.

Hopefully that will sort it. Any other way to disable the alarm other than leaving it open if it happens again?!

Dealer seems miffed with Volvo - embarrassing for their reputation to fail after a matter of hours - but it arrived at dealer over a week ago (I was on holiday) so would have thought the issue would have happened to them.
Deleted User 1240

Post by Deleted User 1240 »

Glad they seem to have found the problem....hopefully that will sort the wiper fault too.
Annoyingly, there doesn't seem to be a way to lock the car without the alarm on.