Frozen driver's door window

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Had a little chuckle to myself this morning...

First really cold morning today, -4deg outside. No problem with the car I thought, given it's Scandinavian origins, heated screen, heated steering wheel, heated door mirrors, heated seats, what could possibly go wrong?

Our driveway is east-west orientated so the drivers side faces due North. Always had trouble with my previous cars freezing up on the drivers side so it was no surprise to see nothing had changed with the new car. The drivers window was frozen solid and because of the ceramic coating that had been applied the water had formed large globules before freezing to give a surface similar to bubble wrap!

Step 1 was to scrape the globules off which was easy enough to do. Got back in the car but there was still a film of ice over it so couldn't see out of it too well.
Step 2 was to spray it with de-icer. That worked but left a film on the surface which meant the view was still not good enough.
Step 3, wind the window down while exiting the drive. Lot's of whirring and straining motor sounds but the window would not budge :(
Step 4, wait 5 minutes with the engine running so that the heater would clear the window. That didn't work, window will still not budge.
Step 5, a jug of hot ( not boiling, I'm not stupid :roll: ) water poured directly onto the rubber strip at the bottom of the window. Success, the window wound down

Seems there is still no substitute for the old tried and tested methods... ;)
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.

Bob

Post by Bob »

When I ordered my FE I thought to myself "there are loads of features on this car I'm just not going to use". In particular heated steering wheel and heated seats as I always keep my car in a garage and just couldn't see me having to use them. However, last night we went and stayed overnight in Bowness where there was a very hard overnight frost. This morning when we checked out of the hotel the heated wheel and seats were the first things I switched on! :lol:
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

Took delivery in June and I can remember thinking at the time that I wouldn't be able to test the heated front and rear screens for quite a while! Last night proved to be the first opportunity and both worked perfectly, particularly impressed with the heated front screen as I've never had one before.

Just thinking what else I haven't been able to test so far, I can only think of the airbags and I DO NOT want to test them!
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
DaveSig2018

Post by DaveSig2018 »

balmoral wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:18 pm Took delivery in June and I can remember thinking at the time that I wouldn't be able to test the heated front and rear screens for quite a while! Last night proved to be the first opportunity and both worked perfectly, particularly impressed with the heated front screen as I've never had one before.

Just thinking what else I haven't been able to test so far, I can only think of the airbags and I DO NOT want to test them!
Same as you this morning Balmoral ... -1C in my part of Nottinghamshire overnight.

Started the car this morning putting on heated from windscreen and rear window defrost..in the couple of minutes (if that) it took for me to sort the side windows out, the front was nicely defrosted as was the rear window and door mirrors!
On order (April 2018) XC40 Inscription / T4 / Denim Blue / now on the road as of 30th July 2018!! :D
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

I've been using my app remote start to get the car defrosted and toasty before I get in it :) Felt quite smug when a guy sharing our work car park wanted to know about my car when it was running but still locked :p
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

I too have been absolutely loving the remote start over the past few days. So nice to get into a warm car that's already defrosted without freezing yourself
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October