Inoperative heater/aircon

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

After loading the car up after fishing yesterday, it was like an oven inside. Switched on the air con to 'Lo' and hot air came out, not only was the air con not working, I wasn't able to regulate the temperature. All controls on the screen seemed ok. Drove home with the windows open. Local dealership said around 2 weeks for an appointment (I didn't buy the car there) but if I could leave it all day Friday, they would look at it, so booked in then. Less than 3 weeks old, around 600 miles. Will update in due course. Fishing wasn't much either!

ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Update on situation. Everything worked fine today? Will try it again tomorrow and if still working will cancel the appointment as doubt if they will be able to find out what went wrong.
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

I had a similar experience not long after I took delivery. The first hot day and I couldn't get the car to cool down. Took it to the dealers the next day and then felt like a complete idiot as I sat next to the salesman who took me through all of the controls and it worked perfectly! Never understood what happened and its never been a problem again (touch wood).
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

My heated seat failed to operate the other day, once I restarted the car it functioned ok but didn't get too warm. My dealer found a fault code from the CCM (climate control module), wiped the software and reinstalled it. All seems ok for now.
XC40 FE T5 Crystal White 20" LAVA!
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Thanks for the 2 replies, I will try it again today, and if its ok will cancel appointment for tomorrow. Will mention at the 3 month check and hope they check the fault reader to see if anything recorded.
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

I've just had the same issue with the heating blasting out when it didn't need to. 1.5yrs in and 22000 miles, first time it's happened. As I've found an odd niggle before , I've decided to see what happens on the way home as maybe it's like above and turn it off/turn it on will fix it.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Ok, same subject but a question to answer please. How are you finding the A/C? My Renault van is great. Really cold. My Mini, now sold, was very poor.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Skyrimmer

Post by Skyrimmer »

I find the A/C pretty good. Soon gets cold air into the cab especially if you put it into recirculation mode to start off with. The dog appreciates the rear seat vents as well. He's not had them before.
XC40 Bright Silver T3 Momentum pro with just about every option plus mud flaps and sunglasses holder.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Skyrimmer, perfect. Thanks
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
kirsty_s2k

Post by kirsty_s2k »

Good news - turn it off and on appears to have fixed it.

In answer to above - I thought my Focus Air Con was far better, and when in Eco on the XC (didn't have/use on Focus) I find it very poor especially in the rain when it steams up all windows.
Ex Owner. Sold Feb 2020
First Edition - Bursting Blue on 19" - D4 AWD Auto
(My other car is a 2002 Honda S2000 in Silverstone)