360 Camera

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
trjim2k5

Post by trjim2k5 »

Yes you do, but somehow I find it easier/quicker to put it in reverse and then drive than swiping...
XC40 | Inscription Pro | D3 FWD Auto | Denim Blue | Ordered 29/03/18 | Delivered 29/09/18

Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Sorry starting this topic again but has anyone else noticed that the rear camera appears blue and less clear than the other surround cameras? I have mentioned this to the dealer but they insist that it is normal. Is this common with the 360 camera?

If my rear camera is faulty I would like to go back to the dealer with more evidence. Thanks.

248B21DC-E4A3-4BC6-89D3-616D9628B563.jpeg

XC40 B3 plus| Vapour Grey
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Hi Snowman, suggest you read the thread from the start. This is not right, but likely a problem with white balance on cheap cameras.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Thanks for the reply hdasmith. I had read that scottpcs managed to have the camera replaced but my dealer is adamant that the rear camera looks ‘normal’. I wondered if anyone else had the same issue and if so how was it resolved. I would like to go back to the dealer with more information/evidence.
hdasmith

Post by hdasmith »

Fair enough, sorry if I jumped to conclusions.
Inscription Pro | Pine Grey | Amber Leather | D3 FWD Manual
Ordered 11th May 2018
Delivered 6th November 2018
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Hi hdasmith. I’m grateful for your opinion & advice.
Deleted User 1240

Post by Deleted User 1240 »

I suspect that, like mine, many rear cameras are also bluer/brighter.
I guess this is why dealers are saying it is normal but that doesn't mean it's right.
I will be speaking to my dealer when it is next in.
Bob

Post by Bob »

pp67 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:48 am I suspect that, like mine, many rear cameras are also bluer/brighter.
I guess this is why dealers are saying it is normal but that doesn't mean it's right.
I will be speaking to my dealer when it is next in.
I think mine is slightly more blue, I'll check next time I'm out. I suspect this may be because the rear camera is set back into the body work more than the others, it is also pointing more downwards, therefore the uncompensated image from this camera is probably much darker than the others, and the software is probably automatically increasing the brightness of it, hence the difference in colour.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
Deleted User 1240

Post by Deleted User 1240 »

I think you're right Bob... that would make sense.
To be honest it doesn't really bother me but if a fix was on offer I would have it done.
scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

Just to chime in here, since my camera was replaced it's much better and the difference is (literally) night and day.

Make no mistake, the rear camera still appears brighter than the other three but as others have suggested this is most likely due to the placement of the camera and the software compensating for it.

My issue was that the hue of the camera image was very noticeably blue and it stood out a mile compared to the others, so much so that it was distracting. I eventually persuaded my dealer that this is not normal behaviour even when taking white balancing into consideration and even he admitted it was a clear difference when the replacement camera had been installed.

I'll take a picture at some point of what the replacement camera now looks like but if you're suffering the same issue I had then don't put up with it, get it fixed!!
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Crystal White ¦ Charcoal ¦ 20" AND Headlight Washers! ¦ Polestar