360 Camera

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I will try speaking to the dealership again. The 360 camera was an expensive option and I would have expected the image to be clearer than it is.

Apart from the issue with the camera I love the car.
XC40 B3 plus| Vapour Grey

scottpcs

Post by scottpcs »

I took a quick screenshot this morning of what my cameras now look like:

IMG_20181109_111547.jpg

It's not the best picture as I was in a hurry but it's to try and demonstrate the difference between before and now. At least there's no distinct blue hue to the rear camera picture now and it appears much better than it perhaps shows in the example. I'll try and get a couple more pictures uploaded in better conditions when I get the time.
XC40 FE D4 AWD Auto - Crystal White ¦ Charcoal ¦ 20" AND Headlight Washers! ¦ Polestar
Bob

Post by Bob »

scottpcs wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:02 pm I took a quick screenshot this morning of what my cameras now look like...….
Mine is probably very much like yours, perhaps not quite as blue, now your camera has been replaced.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
drjamesr

Post by drjamesr »

If you put it in reverse, then straight back to drive and move forward slowly, the camera will stay on. Not the most elegant solution, but works for me! Would be nice to have a button for the camera though.
Plus 1 on the need for a button. in my view the Sensus is a temptation just as bad as using a mobile phone. Strapping an ipad to the front console with tiny icons, using it as if blindfolded ie keeping eyes on the road at speed, is an impossibility. Temperature control is a very good example and the alternative of speaking to a car rather turn a knob is slow and technology for its own sake. Radio channel control, cancelling traffic announcements and repeat instruction for sat nav are in the same vein. Swiping for the camera isn’t as bad as you tend to be stationary, but it is still poor ergonomics either performing 4 operations with the auto gear selector, or two with swiping. End of rant!
XC40 Inscription, D4 AWD, Pine Grey, black leather faced, 19” double spoke #924, Xenium, Intellisense surround, Winter/Htd wheel, Spare wheel
Boxybutgood

Post by Boxybutgood »

drjamesr wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:13 am
If you put it in reverse, then straight back to drive and move forward slowly, the camera will stay on. Not the most elegant solution, but works for me! Would be nice to have a button for the camera though.
Plus 1 on the need for a button. in my view the Sensus is a temptation just as bad as using a mobile phone. Strapping an ipad to the front console with tiny icons, using it as if blindfolded ie keeping eyes on the road at speed, is an impossibility. Temperature control is a very good example and the alternative of speaking to a car rather turn a knob is slow and technology for its own sake. Radio channel control, cancelling traffic announcements and repeat instruction for sat nav are in the same vein. Swiping for the camera isn’t as bad as you tend to be stationary, but it is still poor ergonomics either performing 4 operations with the auto gear selector, or two with swiping. End of rant!
With you on the rant 100%!

It's a good job that Volvos are so safe in a crash because you are more likely to be in that situation when using a touch screen than physical controls. To be fair, Volvo are only following the current fashion where the visual appeal of an uncluttered dashboard trumps usability and safety.
XC40 T4 AWD Inscription Pro + Options. Delivered November 2018.
Bob

Post by Bob »

drjamesr wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:13 am Radio channel control, cancelling traffic announcements
Regarding radio channel control, if it is just changing channels or the volume, you can do that by using the buttons on the righthand side of the steering wheel (at least, I think you can change channel).
Anything that come up in the display between the rev counter and speedometer, i.e. notices/warnings including traffic announcements, can be cancelled by pressing the centre button (i.e. the O button) on the right hand side of the steering wheel.

There are probably other short cuts but I haven't found them yet. I really must get round to reading the manual!

Bob
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
q3billy

Post by q3billy »

Snowman wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:08 pm Sorry starting this topic again but has anyone else noticed that the rear camera appears blue and less clear than the other surround cameras? I have mentioned this to the dealer but they insist that it is normal. Is this common with the 360 camera?

If my rear camera is faulty I would like to go back to the dealer with more evidence. Thanks.
I haven't had an XC40 for some time now but all my cameras were the same colour definitely.
R-Design Pro T3 | Bursting Blue | Xenium | Convenience | Intellisafe Pro | Smartphone Integration | Harman/Kardon | Powered Tailgate
Ordered: 04/04/18 | Delivered: 19/11/18 | Sold: 15/02/19

Replaced with: Mercedes-Benz E400 in red
sunnydays

Post by sunnydays »

scottpcs wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:56 pm Car was in for the 3 month check today and to have a few niggles sorted. I raised the issue again with the service manager and when I went to pick my car up they'd replaced the rear camera - what a difference! It definitely looks normal now and I'm just glad I was vindicated.

I'll keep my eye on the front camera but the majority of the time it looks normal so we'll see. It certainly doesn't stand out in the same way that the rear camera did but if it ends up getting on my nerves I'll re-book the car in for it to be potentially replaced too but hopefully it won't need to be.
Will follow your lead if needed :)
Deleted User 1894

Post by Deleted User 1894 »

I've been driving my XC40 for nearly a week now, and the 360 degree camera is one of the least impressive parts of the car. Previously I had a C-Class with the same sort of set up, and that was very good.

* The resolution seems a bit low.
* It needs more lines for guidance. The yellow ones are a bit poor. My C-Class had horizontal lines displayed at all times, which were ideal for making sure you were reversing straight. The vertical lines included tyre tracks, which made them easier to see.
* The area of the screen taken up by the image from the camera is too small. Too much space is taken up by the buttons. This is particularly annoying with the reversing camera. Why can't I press a button to have it fill the entire screen?
* Again with the reversing camera, the view is reduced still further by the bottom of the screen being filled by a distorted view of the bumper and rear number plate.
* Having to swipe and press is too time-consuming. There's no room for a button, but why doesn't the voice activation include a command for turning the camera on? I did try saying "Camera on" to the car this evening - it thought about it and eventually thought I wanted a list of POIs.

Does anyone know if Volvo solicits feedback for system improvements? Or should I just send a random email for them to ignore?